The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
Personally, I've just learnt it as the rapid proliferation of plasma cells (is it plasma cells? Or does clonal expansion occur before differentiation?) after clonal selection, but i still don't really know how to put clonal selection into words all that well...
And as for diseases, I've just learnt the diseases on the specification and what causes them, nothing else, but i might be mistaken in doing that...

Did we move to the 3 Domain System because of difference in ribosomes of archae and prokaryotes? I know that there's evidence for differences in organisms in Cytochrome C, but is that the evidence they use?

Oh wicked thanks. Ive basically learnt very similar :smile: yeah Ive done the same with diseases!! I think someone else answer your Q on domains
My teacher said that she spoke to OCR about the diseases, and they said that we only need to know which type of pathogen causes each one, rather than the specific species. There was a question on one of the practice/sample papers asking which pathogen causes malaria: OCR have confirmed this was in error and will not appear in actual materials.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James3000117
My teacher said that she spoke to OCR about the diseases, and they said that we only need to know which type of pathogen causes each one, rather than the specific species.

Thanks for confirming. My teacher was telling us to learn symptoms but does state in specification that no details of symptoms are required! Thanks :smile:
Original post by 0799NCB
Hi yes I do :smile:

Can you link me it please :smile:
Original post by emx123
Can you link me it please :smile:

Yes, can you PM me your email address and I'll send them to you!
Ok so is everyone struggling with this course? Because it seems like me and everyone I know is (maybe it's because my teacher can't teach a level?)
But I got like 50% when I did the secret practice papers, and like 65% from the specimen... and i'm quite good at bio, I got an A* at gcse and do pretty well when I practice with Cambridge/edexcel papers.
Reply 186
Original post by amalick1029
Ok so is everyone struggling with this course? Because it seems like me and everyone I know is (maybe it's because my teacher can't teach a level?)
But I got like 50% when I did the secret practice papers, and like 65% from the specimen... and i'm quite good at bio, I got an A* at gcse and do pretty well when I practice with Cambridge/edexcel papers.

Firstly, don't compare GCSE to A-level. The A-level syllabus is harder. And yes, the course is difficult for us in particular because we are the first year that will be assessed through something that we have not practiced and prepared from GCSE syllabus. However, the grade boundaries might be lower due to people not doing exceptionally well in the first year. Try your best but do not stress so much.
Reply 187
My teacher said that she spoke to OCR about the diseases, and they said that we only need to know which type of pathogen causes each one, rather than the specific species. There was a question on one of the practice/sample papers asking which pathogen causes malaria: OCR have confirmed this was in error and will not appear in actual materials.

Yes, in the specification it clearly stated that we need to know which type of pathogen diseases belong to.
Reply 188
Original post by OddFuturez
can anyone explain to me the significance of lumen sizes and how they relate to the blood vessel functions? simple idea but really can't get my head to remember it? (:

Arteries - smaller lumen to maintain high pressures. Their muscle layers (elastic fibres, smooth muscles and collagen fibres) are thick used to withstand high pressures. The differences you'll need to use is 'withstand' and 'maintain'.
Arteries carry oxygenated blood away from the heart( except pulmonary artery that transports deoxygenated blood).
Reply 189
Original post by 0799NCB
Also I have the locked specimen papers if people need them :smile:

Could you please provide a link.
Reply 190

Also, do we need to know the symptoms and the way these diseases are transmitted. My textbook has got long paragraphs for each disease. Cheers
Original post by oni176
Yes, in the specification it clearly stated that we need to know which type of pathogen diseases belong to.

Indeed, I think some people were confused by the excess detail in the textbook.

Original post by SGHD26716
Also, do we need to know the symptoms and the way these diseases are transmitted. My textbook has got long paragraphs for each disease. Cheers

The specification says:

"The means of transmission of animal and plant communicable pathogens. To include direct and indirect transmission, reference to vectors, spores and living conditions– e.g. climate, social factors (no detail of the symptoms of specific diseases is required)."

Therefore you should be aware of the diseases and which type of pathogen cause them, as well as how they are transmitted. I think that this will only be asked very basically - 'tick the box' style question on whether something is caused by a bacteria or protoctist, for example. There is no need to learn complex ideas like the specifics of how malaria is transmitted, other than the fact that it is transmitted by a vector and possibly that the vector is a mosquito.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hang yourself you wii betch
Reply 193
The spec says:
the ultrastructure of eukaryotic cells and thefunctions of the different cellular components
Does this mean we have to know about their structures too or just function?

Also what are people doing in terms of last minute revision? :smile:
Original post by Rose.n
The spec says:
the ultrastructure of eukaryotic cells and thefunctions of the different cellular components

Revising all the practical components as I think there will be a long practical question :frown:. Also, I am going through the mock questions that I got wrong ( I got a paper that was combined with the specimen and one of the practice papers). I would recommend going through the spec and making sure you have a good subject knowledge so that multiple choice wont be that hard.
Original post by Rose.n
The spec says:

Ultrastructure is just the detailed structure of cells only visible with an electron microscope, so it's just asking for the functions, and to be able to recognise which organelles can be seen with a light microscope :smile:
Does any have the grade boundaries for the breadth paper?
Original post by matt1306
Does any have the grade boundaries for the breadth paper?

appaz there are no real grade boundaries (one of the teachers at my school had an argument with OCR over the phone bc they're thinking that our grade boundaries will be somewhat high)

Did your school/college give rough grade boundaries at all?

We used:
91% A*,
75ish% A,
67% B,
58-60% C
48-50% D
45% E
44% and under u
appaz there are no real grade boundaries (one of the teachers at my school had an argument with OCR over the phone bc they're thinking that our grade boundaries will be somewhat high)

We used:
91% A*,
75ish% A,
67% B,
58-60% C
48-50% D
45% E
44% and under u

But you can't get an A* at AS? Unless this is for next year though I'm not sure it's going to be called "breadth" then...

We used:
91% A*,
75ish% A,
67% B,
58-60% C
48-50% D
45% E
44% and under u

Okay thank you, I shall grade my practise goes on those, in which case I got a high D which is all I need to pass onto next year at my school so slight positive.

Nope, my school has told me nothing at all, and I don't think OCR have told them anything. Everyone, is unfortunately in the dark about everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending