The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure what mines was, but by my calculations I am sitting at a C/B if the marker is nice...
Original post by Jay431
No problem :smile:

Keep the faith :smile:

I'm trying tooπŸ˜•

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ethan100
What do you think the opened questions will be ?
And if it is esters what do you think it will be about ?

I have been doing the model papers from the hodder and Gibson books and there seem to be quite a lot on extraction of metals - we weren't taught that! Did any of you guys have the prelim made by perfect papers for the prelim? If so, what did you think of it?

Esters will be the use, the reaction and what makes them probably.

Open ended - just write down a s**t ton :biggrin:
Original post by eve_4342
I have been doing the model papers from the hodder and Gibson books and there seem to be quite a lot on extraction of metals - we weren't taught that! Did any of you guys have the prelim made by perfect papers for the prelim? If so, what did you think of it?

Esters will be the use, the reaction and what makes them probably.

Open ended - just write down a s**t ton :biggrin:

Is it best to just bullet point your answers in open-ended questions ?

I usually do - like 4-6 bullet points and be quite specific. I seem to get 3/3 or 2/3 in the questions - just think outside of the box or be quite general.
Reply 105

Yeah.

My teacher told me to do at least 3 relevant bullet points.
Guys, I've got an idea. Why don't we post any open-ended question that we can find and say what we would put if it were a question? That way we can learn from others
Reply 107
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Guys, I've got an idea. Why don't we post any open-ended question that we can find and say what we would put if it were a question? That way we can learn from others

Good idea.

Thats an amazing idea... where do you find them though ?
Thats an amazing idea... where do you find them though ?

Old past papers and specimen papers, I'll finish the 2014 paper right now and upload some :smile:
Reply 110
Old past papers and specimen papers, I'll finish the 2014 paper right now and upload some :smile:

The "Open Ended" questions where only introduced in National 5 if I'm not wrong.

So old past papers like SG Credit or Intermediate 2 will probably not have them.

The only way to get more examples of open ended questions is through the 2015, 2014 past papers, the specimen paper and then the Hodder Gibson Model papers (or anything else equivalent to the Hodder gibson Model papers).

I'm pretty sure INT 2 and SG Credit won't have them.
Original post by Jay431
The "Open Ended" questions where only introduced in National 5 if I'm not wrong.

So old past papers like SG Credit or Intermediate 2 will probably not have them.

The only way to get more examples of open ended questions is through the 2015, 2014 past papers, the specimen paper and then the Hodder Gibson Model papers (or anything else equivalent to the Hodder gibson Model papers).

I'm pretty sure INT 2 and SG Credit won't have them.

I didn't mean to put old haha, keep forgetting that nat 5 course is new. I've got some here so i'll upload them
image.jpg

Here's the one from the 2014 paper, it's a tough one at first glance but I've left it out to discuss it. I'll upload another one once we've agreed to move onπŸ˜‹
Oh wow, if something like that comes up .... I'm screwed

Any ideas, anyone ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey there , can someone please help me with haber process and ostwald process. I WANT to know the main points we need to know and what questions we might get asked on haber and ostwald process. Also can someone please explain what a reducing agent is and what we need to know about it
Can someone please tell me some key points I should know about Ionic and Covalent Bonding ?
I know about them I just want to make sure I know what I need to know, Thanks
Can someone please tell me some key points I should know about Ionic and Covalent Bonding ?

β€’ Ionic compound and covalent substances have high melting and boiling points due to strong forces of attraction.
β€’ Ionic compounds don't conduct electricity when solid because the ions are not free to move (BUT they conduct electricity when dissolved in water)
β€’ Covalent substances don't conduct electricity at all

These are the main points, I know..
Reply 117
Original post by Sweet_Candy
Hey there , can someone please help me with haber process and ostwald process. I WANT to know the main points we need to know and what questions we might get asked on haber and ostwald process. Also can someone please explain what a reducing agent is and what we need to know about it

I don't think they'll ask you too much about the Ostwald process. Someone in this thread pointed this out by reading the Chemistry course notes which says that:

"Candidates should know the startingmaterials and the end product for thecommercial production of nitric acid. Details ofthe Ostwald process are not required."

As for the Haber Process the course notes say the following:
"The Haber process: to include the balancedequation and catalyst used."

These are what the course notes say you need to know "Mandatory Course key areas"

Covalent Bonding:
1) This is a shared pair of electrons between TWO NON-METAL ATOMS.
2) Covalent Networks:
-Have high melting and boiling points.
-They do not conduct electricity expect for Graphite. (If they ask you why then say that the "Electrons in Graphite are delocalised")
-They are solid at room temperature.
3) Covalent Molecular:
-Low melting and boiling points.
-Do not conduct electricity.

Ionic Bonding:
1) They are formed between a metal and a non-metal.
2) An Ionic bond is the electrostatic force of attraction between a positively charged ion (metal) and a negatively charged ion (non-metal)
3) Ionic Lattice:
-High melting and boiling points.
-Only conduct when molten, Because the ions are then free to move.
-Solid at room temperature
Original post by Jay431
I don't think they'll ask you too much about the Ostwald process. Someone in this thread pointed this out by reading the Chemistry course notes which says that:

"Candidates should know the startingmaterials and the end product for thecommercial production of nitric acid. Details ofthe Ostwald process are not required."

As for the Haber Process the course notes say the following:
"The Haber process: to include the balancedequation and catalyst used."

These are what the course notes say you need to know "Mandatory Course key areas"

Covalent Bonding:
1) This is a shared pair of electrons between TWO NON-METAL ATOMS.
2) Covalent Networks:
-Have high melting and boiling points.
-They do not conduct electricity expect for Graphite. (If they ask you why then say that the "Electrons in Graphite are delocalised":wink:
-They are solid at room temperature.
3) Covalent Molecular:
-Low melting and boiling points.
-Do not conduct electricity.

Ionic Bonding:
1) They are formed between a metal and a non-metal.
2) An Ionic bond is the electrostatic force of attraction between a positively charged ion (metal) and a negatively charged ion (non-metal)
3) Ionic Lattice:
-High melting and boiling points.
-Only conduct when molten, Because the ions are then free to move.
-Solid at room temperature

Thanks so much Jay :biggrin:
I have a question, what exactly does Lattice mean I have read in many books but I don't know the exact meaning.
Original post by Lewis H01
β€’ Ionic compound and covalent substances have high melting and boiling points due to strong forces of attraction.
β€’ Ionic compounds don't conduct electricity when solid because the ions are not free to move (BUT they conduct electricity when dissolved in water)
β€’ Covalent substances don't conduct electricity at all

These are the main points, I know..

Thanks Lewis, appreciate it man !

Quick Reply

Latest