The Student Room Group

Boris and Hitler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaronK
Well not really, it was just warped into the Lisbon treaty. Which was rejected by Ireland, so democratic they had to vote again to get the right result.

The treaty was substantially different to the proposed constitution.

Ireland voted again because the Irish government always said it would if it obtained some guarantees, so blame Ireland for that one, not the EU.
Original post by the bear
Boris would have had more success if he had compared the EU project to Philip II of Macedon who unified the disparate Greek city states in the fourth century before Christ.

My ancient history is sometimes a little shaky, correct me if I've got it all wrong Bear, but didn't Alexander's dad use force, violence and you know, general massacres, to achieve that? Compared with, now what do they call them, democratic referendums and votes?

I suppose it's all the same thing really, right? :rolleyes:
Boris said that the unification of Europe was what Hitler and Napoleon had attempted, through different means.

I always thought that the means were more the issue than the aim. When I ingest food, I'm attempting the same thing Jeffery Dahmer did through different means.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
My ancient history is sometimes a little shaky, correct me if I've got it all wrong Bear, but didn't Alexander's dad use force, violence and you know, general massacres, to achieve that? Compared with, now what do they call them, democratic referendums and votes?

I suppose it's all the same thing really, right? :rolleyes:

you got it wrong girl. That was Alexander... it was no ragtime band which he unleashed on the Achaemenid Empire.
Philip was a gentle guy who would much rather be doing his hobby of collecting kraters and kuathoi than fighting bolshie nudists at Thermopylae.
Original post by the bear
you got it wrong girl. That was Alexander... it was no ragtime band which he unleashed on the Achaemenid Empire.
Philip was a gentle guy who would much rather be doing his hobby of collecting kraters and kuathoi than fighting bolshie nudists at Thermopylae.

I went to Philip's tomb in Macedon, absolutely shed loads of gold! :drool: Most of it I believe stolen in one or other of his many wars. Something about crushing Athens, Thessaly and Phillipi? Oh well, it's all a very long time ago. :teehee:
Original post by JollyCynic
Boris said that the unification of Europe was what Hitler and Napoleon had attempted, through different means.

I always thought that the means were more the issue than the aim. When I ingest food, I'm attempting the same thing Jeffery Dahmer did through different means.

I think your latter point pretty much sums up the Europhobic argument, if you don't mind me saying so.
I went to Philip's tomb in Macedon, absolutely shed loads of gold! :drool: Most of it I believe stolen in one or other of his many wars. Something about crushing Athens, Thessaly and Phillipi? Oh well, it's all a very long time ago. :teehee:

you old tomb raider you :ahee:

The excellent museum there is of course paid for with Euro-money. :clap2:
Original post by CarlTheCuck
At least I don't support a defender of child rapists

:cookie:
Original post by CarlTheCuck
At least I don't support a defender of child rapists

He's got you there FoS...
Original post by Bornblue
He's got you there FoS...

If I knew what it was about...?
The USA is clearly the model that many Eurocrats are aspiring to, the comparisons with the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany are just stupid really.

So which are you denying, that the EU is trying to form a unified European state, or that Hitler and Napoleon also tried this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
So which are you denying, that the EU is trying to form a unified European state, or that Hitler and Napoleon also tried this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the EU are trying to form a democratic federal Europe by mutual consent and the agreement of all concerned in a peaceful and free process with a parliament, an executive and a single border.

In your opinion, is that similar to Napoleon and Hitler's war aims?

Who knows 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can just admit it was a stupid thing to say, just as Camerons war was.
I think the EU are trying to form a democratic federal Europe by mutual consent and the agreement of all concerned in a peaceful and free process with a parliament, an executive and a single border.

In your opinion, is that similar to Napoleon and Hitler's war aims?

Is this Democratic federal European state single and unifying for the majority or Europe? Or are you overlooking the "unified European state" bit and focusing instead on the form of government because that way you can deny the correctness of the claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
... because that way you can deny the correctness of the claim?

Neither do I deny the claim that I sleep. JUST LIKE HITLER!

Boris invoked Godwin's Law, and therefore loses. It's nothing personal, just Internet law.
Original post by Bornblue
You can just admit it was a stupid thing to say, just as Camerons war was.

Which do you deny?

If he had missed out the Hitler bit people would have gone mad over Napoleon, if he had simply said the romans people would have gone mad about the empire, if he said republic people would probably still somehow be mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's about Hillary defending as a lawyer a child rapist she knew was guilty, and blaming the victim.
Which do you deny?

If he had missed out the Hitler bit people would have gone mad over Napoleon, if he had simply said the romans people would have gone mad about the empire, if he said republic people would probably still somehow be mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hitler wanted one great German state. The European Union wants a a collection of each and every individual states working together, keeping their statehood.

Bringing hitler into the debate is laughable.

Just admit like Cameron, what he said was stupid. Playing the hitler card is never a good idea. Stop being so sensitive and just admit that people on your side can say idiotic things too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending