The Student Room Group

Gcse OCR Ethics 1&2

Did anyone else find the exam ridiculously hard and weird? All the e questions were terrible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the last one was hard , the first one was easy to argue against but not in support
Reply 2
Original post by nottoblameok
Did anyone else find the exam ridiculously hard and weird? All the e questions were terrible

I thought it was all ok except that weird e question on "religion is the best guide to medical ethics"... That one threw me off a bit but i think overall it was fine. Could have been worse
I just kept repeating God made everyone equal for the equality topic in ethics 2😂
Original post by grace143
I thought it was all ok except that weird e question on "religion is the best guide to medical ethics"... That one threw me off a bit but i think overall it was fine. Could have been worse

I loved that question!!
I didn't find either particularly difficult, but I still have that weird feeling where you think you've done badly.
I did section A and B (Judaism) for both - what about you guys?
Reply 5

This haha. That e question was killer, like damn xD what did you talk about?
Original post by escg
This haha. That e question was killer, like damn xD what did you talk about?

Original post by nottoblameok

Haha, everyone seemed to find that difficult. I thought I did too, but i think I did OK in the end.I think that was meant to be the 1 hard one, they also put but everyone else was very easy. For the medical question btw, i think you could talk about any form of issue, so for example, i did animal testing. I think you need to talk about how our morality has developed and that nowadays we have opinions which aren't in the bible, since the bible couldn't have predicted things like vaccines and animal testing. I think the main point is the huge conflict with regards to some epoepl thinking animal testing is acceptable due to dominion and others not due to stewardship This means people are confused so obviously religion cant be used nowadays.
Reply 7
Original post by 1jonam16
Haha, everyone seemed to find that difficult. I thought I did too, but i think I did OK in the end.I think that was meant to be the 1 hard one, they also put but everyone else was very easy. For the medical question btw, i think you could talk about any form of issue, so for example, i did animal testing. I think you need to talk about how our morality has developed and that nowadays we have opinions which aren't in the bible, since the bible couldn't have predicted things like vaccines and animal testing. I think the main point is the huge conflict with regards to some epoepl thinking animal testing is acceptable due to dominion and others not due to stewardship This means people are confused so obviously religion cant be used nowadays.

did you just talk about animal testing though? i broke medical ethics down to like cloning, fertility treatment, euthanasia etc. and elaborated on those and mentioned how the answers are in the bible and jesus' actions. do you reckon that would be sufficient? but apart from that it was pretty easy, the only other kinda strange one was how would christians respond to social injustice, was a bit iffy.
Original post by escg
did you just talk about animal testing though? i broke medical ethics down to like cloning, fertility treatment, euthanasia etc. and elaborated on those and mentioned how the answers are in the bible and jesus' actions. do you reckon that would be sufficient? but apart from that it was pretty easy, the only other kinda strange one was how would christians respond to social injustice, was a bit iffy.

Yh the social injustice question for me was on Islam and so I found it quite easy to refer to 1) Injustice in terms of segregation and responding to this peacefully and 2) responding to this via anger and fighting 3) Injustice in terms of poverty and how they donate to charity. As for the medical ethics question, last year there was a similar question for equality and it was really vague, but you could access full marks by referring to one specific type which is most relevant in society. I think the key part is acknowledging how science has developed far past what the bible teaches. but I think your answer would be more than excellent IF you fully developed at least one of your points, and had teachings to back it up as well as your own view and a reflection on the significance of the issue.
Reply 9
Yh the social injustice question for me was on Islam and so I found it quite easy to refer to 1) Injustice in terms of segregation and responding to this peacefully and 2) responding to this via anger and fighting 3) Injustice in terms of poverty and how they donate to charity. As for the medical ethics question, last year there was a similar question for equality and it was really vague, but you could access full marks by referring to one specific type which is most relevant in society. I think the key part is acknowledging how science has developed far past what the bible teaches. but I think your answer would be more than excellent IF you fully developed at least one of your points, and had teachings to back it up as well as your own view and a reflection on the significance of the issue.

yup i developed every point, i think i had 8 in total, with some opposing the argument too. i should be okay for it, aiming for that A* :biggrin: How do you reckon you did?
Original post by escg
yup i developed every point, i think i had 8 in total, with some opposing the argument too. i should be okay for it, aiming for that A* :biggrin: How do you reckon you did?

WOW! 8 Points? You must write fast! I thought I did pretty well, I normally don't do as much revision for re and get an A*; this time, however, I've revised a lot for it, so if I don't get one Ill be really annoyed. Wbu? DW you'll be fine, I'm sure you'll get it.
Reply 11
WOW! 8 Points? You must write fast! I thought I did pretty well, I normally don't do as much revision for re and get an A*; this time, however, I've revised a lot for it, so if I don't get one Ill be really annoyed. Wbu? DW you'll be fine, I'm sure you'll get it.

Yea ive always got A*s too, never been a subject ive struggled with. i did revise thoroughly though, it was my first GCSE haha. Yea man, i dont find it hard to write mass amounts of information I just hope i get the marks haha :smile: Anyways, good luck to you man! :smile:
Original post by escg
Yea ive always got A*s too, never been a subject ive struggled with. i did revise thoroughly though, it was my first GCSE haha. Yea man, i dont find it hard to write mass amounts of information I just hope i get the marks haha :smile: Anyways, good luck to you man! :smile:

Thanks bro :smile:
I struggled on the questions about the ethics of remarriage and the social injustice one. I liked the e) question on 'race is not important'. I also abused the quote 'love thy neighbour' throughout the whole thing because I found it related to most of the questions hahaha. I hope I did well lmao
Reply 14
I thought the exam went pretty well, probably because I've been spouting bible quotes like a hardcore Christian for the past 3 weeks. The question 'where can you find teachings about equality' made me laugh 😂!
I thought the teachings about equality was a joke? Examiners will laugh at those who don't get it.
Original post by _aimee_
I thought the exam went pretty well, probably because I've been spouting bible quotes like a hardcore Christian for the past 3 weeks. The question 'where can you find teachings about equality' made me laugh 😂!

Original post by _aimee_
Reply 16
felt the same, everyone said that it was easy though.
Reply 17
I thought the teachings about equality was a joke? Examiners will laugh at those who don't get it.

What were you meant to put was it about the parable of the good Samaritan?
Reply 18
The grade boundaries never change in the OCR Ethics and Philosophy exams they are always 90% A*, 80% A etc
Te paper was very good I did human relationships and medical ethics and war and planet.

What do I need in Wednesday's paper to get A* overall?

12 mark ethics-religion guide thing

For:
Bible acts as guidance to things such as suicide and euthanasia so helps save a life
Helps to create moral people and teaches us to treat animals well so it's a good guide etc
Christians/bible guide people who want abortion and shows life is sacred and holy etc

Against
The bible isn't the best guide as it is not based on medical ethics entirely but talks bout helping poor etc
Christians against certain medical ethics is not a good guide to the problems in ethics eg. Abortion is wrong make people feel guilty
Bible doesn't mention modern issues like Ivf so the best guide is science or doctors

Strongest view: bible is the best guide as helps save lives with stuff like so ice and promotes counselling etc

Weakest view : doctors etc are best science only tells us how and cannot always provide guidance or comfort
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending