The Student Room Group

Ocr economics f581 (16/05) and/or f582 (23/05) retakes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by law123abc
For the 18 marker can you still reach top level, if you didnt speak about an alternatives and only evaluated pollution permits

Generally on past 18 mark questions yes as long as you identified a basic knowledge of pollution permits, market failure and negative externalities [L1]

Then used the question in basic application as in what a pollution permit scheme would do to the market, the negative externalities and therefore the market failure [L2]

Showed how the scheme would affect the market, preferably through a demand and supply diagram where demand is perfectly inelastic with analysis explaining why this happens. However you could also likely collect the same number of marks describing + explaining [L3 B1]

Then explained why this makes the scheme an effective policy at reducing market failure; such as through producers being incentivised to make their methods of production greener in order to spend less on expensive permits/sell their unused one(s) on to other firms. Then elaborating that this is effective because the negative externality pollution is reduced therefore meaning market failure is reduced as firms are becoming more efficient in their methods of production, or 'greener'. You could also go on to say how the government plans to reduce the number of permits over time reducing pollution even further [L3 B2]

As long as you made steps similar to this in your essay before evaluating pollution permits and your evaluation of them was good and addressed the question clearly in why they may not be effective in reducing market failure before going onto your conclusion then yes you can still reach top level (based on past mark schemes though, I can't guarantee)
Reply 221
Original post by Yousf
comment on the relative significance of income and price in determining quantity demanded for domestic fuel

How are we suppose to answer this question. I just calculated the YED values, intepreted them saying elastic/inelastic and saying which is normal/superior goods. However, i then commented saying the data liable to inaccucies and they are estiamates, and said its odd becaue demand for fuel consumption should be Price inelastic.

However, i completely ignored the PED calculations as i thought it was not needed?

How many marks would i lose considering the question was out of 6marks.

It really depends on the official mark scheme and whether you needed both PED and YED to access all of the marks - it may say as guidance in the mark scheme that if only PED or YED were calculated + commented on then cap at __ marks

Can't say for certain sorry but your comment on accuracy of the estimates is correct! However YED calculations show the responsiveness of demand to a change in income, distinguishing between normal-luxurious and inferior goods and the elasticity of them whereas your 2nd comment about fuel being price inelastic would be applicable to PED calculations rather than YED
(edited 7 years ago)
I talked about fuel as in cars in a couple of the questions but only in passing, sounds like a lot of people made the same mistake I'm hoping it won't cost too many marks
Reply 223
Original post by tenro
It really depends on the official mark scheme and whether you needed both PED and YED to access all of the marks - it may say as guidance in the mark scheme that if only PED or YED were calculated + commented on then cap at __ marks

Can't say for certain sorry but your comment on accuracy of the estimates is correct! However YED calculations show the responsiveness of demand to a change in income, distinguishing between normal-luxurious and inferior goods and the elasticity of them whereas your 2nd comment about fuel being price inelastic would be applicable to PED calculations rather than YED

Kl, 1 More question for the 6marker on fuel consumption and negative externalities is it ok to say 1. With fuel consumption means more cars on the roads so more c02 emissions leading to pollution and health problems increased costs for health services
2. With fuel consumption means more cars and trucks on the road, causing congestion which leads to increase stress levels as people are late to work and fall in business productivity etc.

Idk if this is right because apparently we had to refer to gas and electricity?
Reply 224
Original post by Yousf
Kl, 1 More question for the 6marker on fuel consumption and negative externalities is it ok to say 1. With fuel consumption means more cars on the roads so more c02 emissions leading to pollution and health problems increased costs for health services
2. With fuel consumption means more cars and trucks on the road, causing congestion which leads to increase stress levels as people are late to work and fall in business productivity etc.

I did the exact same points you did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
Original post by Yousf

Again don't take this as a definite because I don't know what the official mark scheme will entail for this question. For your first point I would say if you put fuel consumption means more carbon dioxide emissions meaning air pollution causing health problems such as respiratory diseases which will then increase cost/strain for/on health services and then referencing that the people with the respiratory illnesses weren't involved in making the economic decision of consumption then you're likely to get the marks for the first part of the question. However it depends whether you specifically referenced cars/vehicles as the question was neg externalities arising from domestic fuel consumption. So if you did make it clear you were talking about fuel for cars in both answers I don't think it's likely you can access the marks for this question (unless the mark scheme allows for reference to fuel consumption for cars - which is unlikely as OCR don't usually allow for deviations from questions). But best of luck regardless, I may be wrong of course!
if you referenced to fuel as in petrol throughout the paper, how many marks in total lost?
can anyone give the definite answer for the ppc one? Is it simply a shift in the curve? was it essential to label any points or would a simple shift inwards gain 4 marks?
Reply 228
Original post by tommruru123
can anyone give the definite answer for the ppc one? Is it simply a shift in the curve? was it essential to label any points or would a simple shift inwards gain 4 marks?

It's an inward shift. No one know about labelling since they've never asked a question on inward shift before so we have to wait and see
Original post by Pato1
It's an inward shift. No one know about labelling since they've never asked a question on inward shift before so we have to wait and see

Seems simple for 4 marks ?
Original post by tommruru123
Seems simple for 4 marks ?

I didnt do it as I simple moved along the PPF which is of course wrong

But I think you would need to put ne point on the diagram and label the output levels then shift the PPF inwards with the point on the new ppf too and show the decrease in the production of both....

I think that could sound reasonable enough for 4 marks.

By the way, do you think even if I labelled the PPF and drew it correctly I would not get any marks at all because I didn't shift it ?

Plus I just compared the elasticities for Q6 and explained what they meant

Quite F*cked me thinks (y)
I don't get what is a negative externality of gas and electricity consumption
Reply 232
Original post by Theonej98
I don't get what is a negative externality of gas and electricity consumption

Carbon emissions, the exploitation of non-renewables/finite resources - excluding future generations from using etc
Original post by tenro
Carbon emissions, the exploitation of non-renewables/finite resources - excluding future generations from using etc

I talked about conjestion because I swear gas and electricity is used within transport
can anyone give an exact definition for the first question? 'market mechanism'
Reply 235
so firstly i would like to say that OCR are really dum and they don't know how to make a exam which students understand. They give you a specification so students know exactly what needs to be learnt. so comes the exam first two questions define market mechanism and affect of excesss supply in comp market. Where in the spec does it say students need to know about excess supply or the definition of market mechanism. guess what it doesnt so we students are asked to answer a question which is completly off spec great work OCR just great. Then the question about negative externailities was so stupid as well. what could you actually put for a affect on third parties really?

define market mechanism: This is where demand is equal to supply. How many marks would this be?

The question about excess supply: I wrote that increased competition (since its a competitive market) will lead to supply shifting to the right so prices are reduced and quantity is increased. I also wrote something about there being too much supply. How many marks would this be out of 4?

for negative externaility 6 marker for one of my reasons i wrote about carbon emissions, full social cost not considered, resources misallocated, allocative and pareto inefficiency. How many marks would this be?

for essay i did this: intro+how it works in one parap2-advantage of permit
p3-advantage of permit
p4-what indirect tax are+how it works
p5-advantage
p6-disadvantage of permit
p7-disadvantage of permit
p8-disadvantage of tax
p9-disadvantage of tax
p10-comparision + judgement

i made a mistake here since i was meant to do disadvan of permits in p4, p5 but i did tax by mistake so kinda messed up structure.How many marks out of 18?
Reply 236
Original post by tenro

i thought that this is a economic exam, not a science/geo exam?
Original post by tenro
Thanks! We're now almost complete on the questions, can anyone remember the YED calculation they got for 2013? The change in income figure isn't needed as it can be calculated from your result (if it's correct)

2013 change in income was 0.3%, if i remember correctly
Reply 238
Original post by lfcjatt
2013 change in income was 0.3%, if i remember correctly

Yes it was! Thanks, I'm part way through the questions to add to the unofficial mark scheme. Have other things to do though so will likely post later
Original post by tenro
Yes it was! Thanks, I'm part way through the questions to add to the unofficial mark scheme. Have other things to do though so will likely post later

please can we see it so far

Quick Reply