The Student Room Group

Are unis going to care more about GCSEs in the future?

Because of the reformed A Levels with no AS, does that mean that universities are going to be more picky with GCSE grades?? I don't want to be measured on my capability to balance a chemical equation for my intelligence when I want to go into languages/politics, that's all.
I can only imagine so. GCSEs will be the only external exams taken when you apply for unis so they would focus more on that to make up for the absence of no AS grades. But I'm sure they'll take note of predicted A-level grades
Reply 2
Original post by george_c00per
Because of the reformed A Levels with no AS, does that mean that universities are going to be more picky with GCSE grades?? I don't want to be measured on my capability to balance a chemical equation for my intelligence when I want to go into languages/politics, that's all.

I think the reason why the government made those reforms was to put more stress on you as an individual so I think universities will focus more on what you have done inside and outside of school to show your interest in the subjects your doing and want to do.

But yes more stress on GCSE's too probably although I think Uni's realise that GCSE is not a good indicator of how well someone is going to do, they will care about English language and Maths if your not doing them at A level
Original post by Dowel
I think the reason why the government made those reforms was to put more stress on you as an individual so I think universities will focus more on what you have done inside and outside of school to show your interest in the subjects your doing and want to do.

But yes more stress on GCSE's too probably although I think Uni's realise that GCSE is not a good indicator of how well someone is going to do, they will care about English language and Maths if your not doing them at A level

Yes hopefully they don't care too much, I am predicted A* for English Language and A for Maths so I should be fine, I'm just super worried about sciences :frown:
Reply 4
Yes hopefully they don't care too much, I am predicted A* for English Language and A for Maths so I should be fine, I'm just super worried about sciences :frown:

The higher universities only really want a C in english language and a B in Maths so your easily above that. Sciences can't be focused on too much I don't think simply on the basis that the syllabus at A level is very different. Your predicted A level grades hold more weight.
Reply 5

If you are worried about sciences I really cannot emphasise the use of past papers and the spec enough. I probably would have gotten a much worse grade if I hadn't used them
Original post by Jehaan
If you are worried about sciences I really cannot emphasise the use of past papers and the spec enough. I probably would have gotten a much worse grade if I hadn't used them

That's what I've been doing, I have done quite a few Biology past papers and a few Physics, but not many Chemistry, I have my Biology tomorrow where I can probably get an A/A* however I can't do Chemistry to save my life and I will definitely get a C, Physics is in between. The problem with Dual Science (it's also the great thing about Dual Science) is that they all affect the final grades, so I could end up with an AA, AB or BB.
It also puts more emphasis on your A level grades. It is the same for everyone.
Reply 8
That's what I've been doing, I have done quite a few Biology past papers and a few Physics, but not many Chemistry, I have my Biology tomorrow where I can probably get an A/A* however I can't do Chemistry to save my life and I will definitely get a C, Physics is in between. The problem with Dual Science (it's also the great thing about Dual Science) is that they all affect the final grades, so I could end up with an AA, AB or BB.

In that case, why not try myGCSEscience videos which I also found quite helpful.
Original post by Jehaan
In that case, why not try myGCSEscience videos which I also found quite helpful.

Unfortunately MyGCSEScience is catered to AQA science and I do edexcel, I know they cover a lot of the same things but I don't really want to accidentally watch a video and revise from it if it's a topic we don't even do. I might use it for Physics and Chemistry though, on the topics I know we do. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest