The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology PSYA1/PSYA2 Revision Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooMuchJuice
Bit confused on regarding Bowlby so if anyone could correct or verify my understanding of Bowlby related content.

Is the continuity hypothesis the idea that the IWM sets a template for how easily you make future adult relationships.
Also is bowlby's monotropic theory the idea that the baby forms a primary attachment, usually the mother, and this allows for increased chance of survival ( evolutionary characteristic) and that the primary attachment is used as a secure base to allow for development of independence and exploration in the child.

- The IWM is a special mental schema for relationships which is formed through the attachment phase. The CH uses the IWM to base the childs' future relationships off of. This therefore explains why bad experiences during the attachment phase as an infant may possibly lead to continuation of this in adulthood (hope this makes sense!!). Basically the CH uses the IWM.

- Yeah it is!! Basically there is one special attachment with the mother (or mother substitute) which is called Monotropy. This gives us an adaptive advantage as attachments provide us with food, warmth and general safe-ness ahah. You can then go on to talk about how Bowlby suggested this attachment must be formed during the critical period, birth to 2 and a half years, otherwise the child will suffer from emotional, social and intellectual damage. To get A03 marks from this you could then talk about this period being called critical was critisied by many and was therefore renamed the sensitive period :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by danielle46
- The IWM is a special mental schema for relationships which is formed through the attachment phase. The CH uses the IWM to base the childs' future relationships off of. This therefore explains why bad experiences during the attachment phase as an infant may possibly lead to continuation of this in adulthood (hope this makes sense!!). Basically the CH uses the IWM.

- Yeah it is!! Basically there is one special attachment with the mother (or mother substitute) which is called Monotropy. This gives us an adaptive advantage as attachments provide us with food, warmth and general safe-ness ahah. You can then go on to talk about how Bowly suggested this attachment must be formed during the critical period, birth to 2 and a half years, otherwise the child will suffer from emotional, social and intellectual damage. To get A03 marks from this you could then talk about this period being called critical was critisied by many and was therefore renamed the sensitive period :smile:

Thanks for elaborating. If an attachment is not made in the critical period is this maternal deprivation or is maternal deprivation just having a lack of a caring mother at any point during a young age.
Original post by TooMuchJuice
Thanks for elaborating. If an attachment is not made in the critical period is this maternal deprivation or is maternal deprivation just having a lack of a caring mother at any point during a young age.

I think you should stick to just saying an attachment not being formed in this period may lead to social, emotional and intellectual harm. I suppose it may lead to maternal deprivation, but to the examiner this may seem you have gotten Bowlby's monotropic theory of attachment and Bowlby's theory of maternal deprivation mixed up :smile:
any predictions on tomorrows paper?
Original post by hehexd
any predictions on tomorrows paper?

I predict:

8 marker on Milgram's Varitations (Proximity, Location and Uniform)
12 Marker on Multi Store Model OR Types of Long Term Memory
12 Marker on Privation OR the Strange Situation
Super quick run through of important studies that should be known for AQA Psychology AS Unit 1 (NEW SPEC ONLY)

SOCIAL INFLUENCE.png

Attachment not found

Attachment not found
goodluck everyone, just relax and stay calm 😅😋
good luck everyone :smile:
Good luck guys 💚
Reply 129
Good luck! :smile:

Definitely not done enough revision!:frown:
:frown:
Welp goodluck
How'd everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paladin597
How'd everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Social Influence and Attachment were alright but Memory was awful.
Original post by Rigby16
I predict:

8 marker on Milgram's Varitations (Proximity, Location and Uniform)
12 Marker on Multi Store Model OR Types of Long Term Memory
12 Marker on Privation OR the Strange Situation

Wow u were accurate
Original post by lucasbaker
Social Influence and Attachment were alright but Memory was awful.

IKR the memory 12 marker was so difficult what did u write??
Original post by Yukio.X
IKR the memory 12 marker was so difficult what did u write??

It's all kind of a blur really, I just wrote everything I knew about memory, some different studies and how they showed there were different stores of memory.
Original post by lucasbaker
It's all kind of a blur really, I just wrote everything I knew about memory, some different studies and how they showed there were different stores of memory.

Lool thats exactly what i wrote, studies that supported the fact that the different stores worked individually and that they cant both work at the same time... I hope it gets us some marks ..
Original post by Yukio.X
Lool thats exactly what i wrote, studies that supported the fact that the different stores worked individually and that they cant both work at the same time... I hope it gets us some marks ..

I hope so too and I hope grade boundaries are low as hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending