The Student Room Group

Tesco - Right to Work Check

Hi all, I have been going through with a job for Tesco - I passed the interview stage and was offered a job which I happily accepted. The next day was Saturday and I was instructed to come in and hand in my documents so I could get my Right to Work check done.

The following week, Tesco had closed down 40 stores but the store I applied for was not effected and thus I rang the store to ask the progress of my application. I phoned last Friday and spoke to the manager and he said in these exact words "the nearest Tesco that closed down to us is 15 miles away and the chance of someone transferring into this store from there is highly unlikely and I am still awaiting news from the Right to Work check team"

My question is how long does a Right to work check take? It has been 2 weeks today since I went into the store and handed my passport and national insurance number in yet I have not heard from them yet.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by techgeekx
Hi all, I have been going through with a job for Tesco - I passed the interview stage and was offered a job which I happily accepted. The next day was Saturday and I was instructed to come in and hand in my documents so I could get my Right to Work check done.

The following week, Tesco had closed down 40 stores but the store I applied for was not effected and thus I rang the store to ask the progress of my application. I phoned last Friday and spoke to the manager and he said in these exact words "the nearest Tesco that closed down to us is 15 miles away and the chance of someone transferring into this store from there is highly unlikely and I am still awaiting news from the Right to Work check team"

My question is how long does a Right to work check take? It has been 2 weeks today since I went into the store and handed my passport and national insurance number in yet I have not heard from them yet.

Thanks!
I think it would be reasonable for you to give them another ring and chase up what's happening here - two weeks sounds plenty long enough to me!
Reply 2
Yeah I did give them a chase up call and my check came back clear, it was just a matter of the Area Manager giving the Store Manager the all clear to recruit. Thanks for the advise :-)
Reply 3
Yeah I did give them a chase up call and my check came back clear, it was just a matter of the Area Manager giving the Store Manager the all clear to recruit. Thanks for the advise :-)
Good - glad to hear all was well in the end!
Reply 4
It's been a few weeks and I am still waiting! Regional manager has everything on hold, been told have to wait till 25th MARCH!!! :frown:
Reply 5
It's been a few weeks and I am still waiting! Regional manager has everything on hold, been told have to wait till 25th MARCH!!! :frown:

HI, i want to apply to a tesco job and i am stuck in the right to work bit which i have to fill out. Can someone tell me what documents i need to upload here so i do everything correctly.

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by K3lvin
HI, i want to apply to a tesco job and i am stuck in the right to work bit which i have to fill out. Can someone tell me what documents i need to upload here so i do everything correctly.

Thank you
They should tell you on the site, but if they really don't, I'd start with a scan of your passport showing what rights you have.
Reply 7
What about if you haven't got a passport I sent my full birth certificate and got asked for more,I don't know what to send.Help
Reply 8
Original post by Kpnutz74
What about if you haven't got a passport I sent my full birth certificate and got asked for more,I don't know what to send.Help

Send them your national insurance letter. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/acceptable-right-to-work-documents-an-employers-guide

I have also been asked to upload them but I don't know how. Could I just take a picture of it and upload it or do I need to scan them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
It's been nearly a week since I uploaded my passport. Yet it still says my 'right to worknow check' is still under review.How long did it take for you?
Just a joke. This right of work check. I uploaded the copy of my British Passport on to Tesco jobsite. Idiots in their right to work team got back to me to say that I have to re-upload, which I did to a much higher dpi than to what Tesco wants. I received another email from their careers team saying scan copy still not acceptable. Why dont they allow people to take their original passport to the store on the recruitment day or provide the candidate with a proper address so they can post it? It is illegal to stop people from getting job only on this grounds, when the candidate is able to provide legal documents but rejecting this on their lunatic technical specification.
yes i wish they did this too.my sister got a job in Salisbury's and they just photo copied her documents in the store this too because i have been having the same problems im just so annoyed
Original post by Tamaraaa
It's been nearly a week since I uploaded my passport. Yet it still says my 'right to worknow check' is still under review.How long did it take for you?

How long did it end up taking? I've been waiting 20 days already. Please respond :-)
I have experienced the same problem. Their manager doesn't know even the immigration rules where I have a little argument on the phone. Three times I have uploaded my documents then I have met with store HR and told my experience. She was upset with this system then she took all my documents on the store then recruited me. The system is totally a CRAP.
Reply 14
Original post by Tescoisrubbish
Just a joke. This right of work check. I uploaded the copy of my British Passport on to Tesco jobsite. Idiots in their right to work team got back to me to say that I have to re-upload, which I did to a much higher dpi than to what Tesco wants. I received another email from their careers team saying scan copy still not acceptable. Why dont they allow people to take their original passport to the store on the recruitment day or provide the candidate with a proper address so they can post it? It is illegal to stop people from getting job only on this grounds, when the candidate is able to provide legal documents but rejecting this on their lunatic technical specification.

How do I know what dpi my printer scans at?
Reply 15
when you guys uploaded your right to work documents did you have to do it on a separate website to the one you do the questionnaire on?
Reply 16
Just spoken to NLS Checking who were extremely rude and unhelpful. No wonder Tesco is constantly in the news for all the wrong reasons. Bad selection of Partnering company AGAIN
Reply 17
From where did you re-applied the documents? I am unable to re submit documents from my profile page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending