The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adam_98
Can someone explain where the minus in the 1/3 comes from in this integral? Almost certain I'm just doing something stupid but can't quite get the answer myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just reversing the chain rule. You have a function (call it f) of cosx multiplied by the derivative of cosx and so you can simply integrate f(cosx) with respect to cosx.
Original post by Adam_98
Can someone explain where the minus in the 1/3 comes from in this integral? Almost certain I'm just doing something stupid but can't quite get the answer myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know others have answered but will also work if you let u=2+cosx and then integrate by substitution
Original post by Qcomber
The derivative of cosx is -sinx. So -1/3 needed to cancel the -3 when you differentiate your answer to obtain the original integrand.

Thanks, made the silly mistake of using sinx as the derivative of cosx not -sinx

Posted from TSR Mobile
After last years horrible polar question (or I thought it was anyway)
is it likely that polar will be the challenging one again do you think ?
Reply 184
Original post by Roxanne18

Probably but as the questions get more difficult the grade boundaries should drop

If AQA feel like being creative then it'll be the polar coordinates question for sure, depends how they're feeling.
Original post by -jordan-
If AQA feel like being creative then it'll be the polar coordinates question for sure, depends how they're feeling.

AQA will definitely be creative with this one :smile:. I can tell we'll have a couple of really nice Qs; looking forward to this paper.

One thing they really shouldn't try to be creative with is the Euler numerical method stuff. That would just be stupid.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
AQA will definitely be creative with this one :smile:. I can tell we'll have a couple of really nice Qs; looking forward to this paper.

One thing they really shouldn't try to be creative with is the Euler numerical method stuff. That would just be stupid.

Yeah I have this fear that all of a sudden they'll test us on how the improved Euler method's work after so many questions which just need you to be able to use a calculator. Gonna spend a little bit of time going over it.
Original post by Hjyu1
Probably but as the questions get more difficult the grade boundaries should drop

Are you sure about that? They went up from 2014 to 2015... :/

They will also give us 10 Qs instead of 7-8?
Original post by -jordan-
Yeah I have this fear that all of a sudden they'll test us on how the improved Euler method's work after so many questions which just need you to be able to use a calculator. Gonna spend a little bit of time going over it.

Specification only says knowledge of the formula itself is needed though, not the derivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
How's everyone's nerves holding up?
Original post by Hjyu1
How's everyone's nerves holding up?

Fine, I just did a mock in 35 mins (lol). It was June 2007 though, can't say I'd do Wednesday's paper that quickly!
Fine, I just did a mock in 35 mins (lol). It was June 2007 though, can't say I'd do Wednesday's paper that quickly!

#JustSTEPerThings
Original post by Zacken
#JustSTEPerThings

My main aim going into this exam is getting used to exam conditions for STEP XD.
Original post by Adam_98
Specification only says knowledge of the formula itself is needed though, not the derivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's nice to hear, thanks
Original post by JME_CHG
Are you sure about that? They went up from 2014 to 2015... :/

That's what I'm worried about, I definitely found 2015 harder than 2014 :/
I'm pretty excited for this exam (it's my first one) but I'm really nervous too, this is one of the FM exams I need to get an A* on.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
I'm pretty excited for this exam (it's my first one) but I'm really nervous too, this is one of the FM exams I need to get an A* on.

This is my first exam too, wouldn't say I'm excited though haha
What other modules are you doing ?
This is my first exam too, wouldn't say I'm excited though haha
What other modules are you doing ?

For FM FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, S2, D1. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending