The Student Room Group

Depression and anxiety: The story of my diagnosis

Depression and Anxiety
Mental Health Awareness Week 2016

Depression and anxiety affect nearly 400,000 young people in the UK alone. According to YoungMinds, that's around 1 in 15 of us that have experienced depression or anxiety. Living with either or both of them can seriously impact day-to-day life.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

So as part of it being Mental Health Awareness Week, I thought I'd share the story behind my diagnosis of depression and anxiety; I've already shared my story of living with a mental illness at university (my story and those kindly shared by few other users can be found here) but never tale behind the mental illness I live with on a daily basis:

My story

For more information on depression and anxiety (including more treatments that I haven't mentioned), the Mind webpages can be found here: for depression and here: for anxiety.

If you need some support outside of your friends and family: The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!

Don't be afraid to ask to change GP's if you don't feel as though the one your currently seeing isn't helping you! I changed and it made the world of difference to how I felt because I felt as though someone cared and I wasn't just a 'patient' who they wanted to get out of the door as soon as they could :tongue:

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Depression and Anxiety

Depression and anxiety affect nearly 400,000 young people in the UK alone. According to YoungMinds, that's around 1 in 15 of us that have experienced depression or anxiety. Living with either or both of them can seriously impact day-to-day life.

TSR is running a campaign all of this week for Mental Health Awareness Week 2016 to promote and inform others of the state of mental health and to try and reduce the stigmas associated with mental health.

So as part of it being Mental Health Awareness Week, I thought I'd share the story behind my diagnosis of depression and anxiety; I've already shared my story of living with a mental illness at university (my story and those kindly shared by few other users can be found here) but never tale behind the mental illness I live with on a daily basis:

My story

For more information on depression and anxiety (including more treatments that I haven't mentioned), the Mind webpages can be found here: for depression and here: for anxiety.

If you need some support outside of your friends and family: The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!

Don't be afraid to ask to change GP's if you don't feel as though the one your currently seeing isn't helping you! I changed and it made the world of difference to how I felt because I felt as though someone cared and I wasn't just a 'patient' who they wanted to get out of the door as soon as they could :tongue:

We're holding various events and writing about lots of different themes throughout the week. Take a look here!

Thank you so much for sharing :hugs: you're very brave and very strong, really important and useful info here! :yep:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
Thank you so much for sharing :hugs: you're very brave and very strong, really important and useful info here! :yep:

I hope it just shows there's always some light at the end of the tunnel, regardless of how dark it may seem at present
Original post by Deyesy
Depression and Anxiety

My story

im so proud of you buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by scnotcrazy
im so proud of you buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hugs:

Thank you :smile: I think the feeling of hope is an such an important feeling and having a dream you can cling on to too. Hope you're doing okay :hugs:
Original post by Deyesy
x

Deyesy firstly although i respected you before i do so even more now :hugs: secondly i think you raise a good point about things getting better and no it isn't cliche. I mean tbh if i didn't believe that i wouldn't bother at all because it wouldn't be worth it. Just holding out until something better comes along :smile:
thank you for sharing this Deyesy :hugs: x
Reply 6
Original post by Deyesy
I hope it just shows there's always some light at the end of the tunnel, regardless of how dark it may seem at present

:sigh: I really needed this right now
thank you <3 :cry2:
Original post by z33

Original post by Anonymous
Deyesy firstly although i respected you before i do so even more now :hugs: secondly i think you raise a good point about things getting better and no it isn't cliche. I mean tbh if i didn't believe that i wouldn't bother at all because it wouldn't be worth it. Just holding out until something better comes along :smile:

:lovehug:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

Hope is such an important thing Cavy :hugs:

Original post by z33

Hope you're okay :hugs: Apologies for how long it's taken me to get around to replying to you :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Deyesy
Hope you're okay :hugs: Apologies for how long it's taken me to get around to replying to you :redface:

Well I mean I could be better but I'm alright :smile: thank you <3
Oh no it's okay! Thanks for replying at all xD :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest