The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rjdidn
I'm so confused on what case studies to use for population. I'm confused between using ageing and youthful and China one child policy. The wording of the questions confuse me... What do I use for ....
Social economic and political implications of population change?
Managing population to achieve sustainable development..
And two case studies of countries at different stages on development
The implications of different structures for the balance between population and resources
I get confused on the case studies

I will be using CGP case studies for managing populations as uganda is a youthful population and UK is an ageing population. These 2 case studies is what i was taught
Original post by rjdidn
I'm so confused on what case studies to use for population. I'm confused between using ageing and youthful and China one child policy. The wording of the questions confuse me... What do I use for ....
Social economic and political implications of population change?
Managing population to achieve sustainable development..
And two case studies of countries at different stages on development
The implications of different structures for the balance between population and resources
I get confused on the case studies

I believe population change/managing Population change can refer to migration, ageing & youthful or the population policies. Meanwhile, the balance between population and resources just refers to ageing and youthful. I'm not 100% sure on this so don't take my word for it fully.
Yeh could be used to talk about the changing characteristics of rural and urban areas as a result of population change. However this came up as a 15 marker in 2014.
Original post by alishakhan
Hi guys. So I saw there was no geog thread for AS geog so I made one Feel free to ask questions and post whatever you like here as long as it is related to geog
And thought I'd let everyone know, I will be posting my notes on TSR throughout the year for the topics that I will be learning this year which are as follows:
Rivers, Floods and Management
Cold Environments
Population Change
Health Issues

hi I learn about health issues and i was wondering what do you think could come up in health issues
Reply 184
Original post by Danny191198
The perfect 15 markers would be:
Rivers - Discuss between hard and soft engineering processes that can reduce the likelihood of flooding...
Population - discuss how have two countries at different stages of development tried to manage their population...
OR
For any two what the following types of areas summarise the contrast between them and explain the implications of these contrasts for social welfare: inner-city, suburban, rural urban fringe or rural settlements
Cold environments - outline and evaluate the formation of drumlins using the two theories...
Energy - compare the energy mix of two countries...

Please could you explain to me the formation of drumlins???????
You can use transmigration in Indonesia for a population management strategy can't you????
Anybody do Pfizer as a pharmaceutical company case study?
That's what we were taught and my notes aren't as full as I'd like
on my revision list "population density and links to countries at different stages of development" can anyone clear what this means up for me please?

and "health in world affairs"
(edited 7 years ago)
Could anyone possibly write some bullet points which outline the effect of population change/migration on rural and urban areas as we haven't had time in class? Many thanks
Original post by marmbite
Anybody got anything on the three gorges dam as a case study for hard engineering on rivers, or an alternative?

i have brief notes:
can hold 22km of flood water
holds yangtze river, 3rd longest in world - seasonal flooding in june / aug
1954 flood killed 33,000 & 18m homeless

pros -
large boats can use
can resist a 1 in 100 year flood
largest HE power station in world - supplies 3% of china's energy

Cons-
inc erosion
sediment build up - dam failure
reservoir has flooded 1000 villages, 2m people relocated
destroy habitats

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by WilmaWizard
Yeh could be used to talk about the changing characteristics of rural and urban areas as a result of population change. However this came up as a 15 marker in 2014.

I think this will come up but in terms of socioeconomic and the differences in social welfare
Could anyone tell me what transmigration is and if we have to know a casestudy for it? The only migration casestudy i have been taught is Poland to the UK!
everyone's talking about managing populations to come up meaning china and france etc but didnt that come up as 15 marker in 2013???
Transmigration is when a country transfers part of it population to outer lying areas. Case study to know is Indonesia who have a population of 200million and were sending people to the outlying islands. The government put into palace schemes such as; free transport, 2 acres of land, accommodation, enough food for first harvest for those who migrate to sparsly populated areas. The scheme didn't work as people started to milo be back so it wasn't as successful as first thought and the population further grew by 18 million so the success of this was not the best. Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by issydw4
everyone's talking about managing populations to come up meaning china and france etc but didnt that come up as 15 marker in 2013???

yeah it did good point
[QUOTE="issydw4;64849679"]
Original post by Abigailj99
Could anyone tell me what transmigration is and if we have to know a casestudy for it? The only migration casestudy i have been taught is Poland to the UK![/QUO

you just need 2 case studies of how countries manage their population - so china one child policy etc. Transmigration is just another example of this, people being mived between island of the same country ( indonesia)
polan to the UK is not managing the population as the people are choosing to leave rather than it being a management policy. You just need 2 case studies of contrasting areas of the world management policies. If you dont have any - id suggest china and france, theyre really simple and thers lots of documents on here for them x

Do you know anything about the effects of population change/migration on rural and urban areas by any chance?
Original post by Abigailj99
Could anyone tell me what transmigration is and if we have to know a casestudy for it? The only migration casestudy i have been taught is Poland to the UK!

you just need 2 case studies of how countries manage their population - so china one child policy etc. Transmigration is just another example of this, people being mived between island of the same country ( indonesia)
polan to the UK is not managing the population as the people are choosing to leave rather than it being a management policy. You just need 2 case studies of contrasting areas of the world management policies. If you dont have any - id suggest china and france, theyre really simple and thers lots of documents on here for them x
Reply 197
Any tips for the exam?
[QUOTE="Emma9991;64849825"]
Original post by issydw4

Do you know anything about the effects of population change/migration on rural and urban areas by any chance?

I was struggling with that too - but i just noticed it came up in like 2013, so hopefully it shouldnt com eup anyway! the mark scheme said things about pressure on services resources etc but im still confused too! sorry x
Original post by emilyp2206
I think this will come up but in terms of socioeconomic and the differences in social welfare

Perhaps, but it would be for different settlements like inner city and suburban.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending