The Student Room Group

Citizenship Unit 1 - HOW WAS IT???

the questions were okay but some of the wording was strange and got me confused I think i lost some easy marks but whatever happens, happens. The essay questions were so easy all 3 of them, but I selected the first essay question as I thought there was so much you can write about, wb you guys?

Scroll to see replies

The wording of the questions threw me off too! I thought some of the past papers were easier. I wrote about the 2nd essay question (about newspapers) which was okay, I'm just worried I didn't include enough examples in there. I hated the questions about the strike on the train but apart from that I think it went okay. At least the grade boundaries for the past couple of years have been okay. Have you got the unit 3 test on Thursday?
Reply 2
Original post by kimstudying
The wording of the questions threw me off too! I thought some of the past papers were easier. I wrote about the 2nd essay question (about newspapers) which was okay, I'm just worried I didn't include enough examples in there. I hated the questions about the strike on the train but apart from that I think it went okay. At least the grade boundaries for the past couple of years have been okay. Have you got the unit 3 test on Thursday?

omg i feel you, and dont worry im sure you did well & the question about Boris Johnson was just pathetic tbh the third section of the paper theme 3 was unexpectedly long and was very very very different from other papers so a little surprise i hope it didnt me hurt too much and yes unit 3 option B on thursday sigh wby
I was thinking that, to be honest I thought rights and responsibilities was going to be the easiest section but I actually found it quite hard! Probably because of the source questions. I really want an A because I got A*s in my controlled assessments so hopefully the examiner is nice. Have you done the controlled assessments yet? I'm doing 3B on Thursday as well, I haven't really revised properly to be honest I'm not sure how, for unit 1 I just done flashcards and past papers, I think I'll print unit 3 past papers off tomorrow. I think unit 3 should be okay, its just the essay questions I'm worried about.
Reply 4
I was thinking that, to be honest I thought rights and responsibilities was going to be the easiest section but I actually found it quite hard! Probably because of the source questions. I really want an A because I got A*s in my controlled assessments so hopefully the examiner is nice. Have you done the controlled assessments yet? I'm doing 3B on Thursday as well, I haven't really revised properly to be honest I'm not sure how, for unit 1 I just done flashcards and past papers, I think I'll print unit 3 past papers off tomorrow. I think unit 3 should be okay, its just the essay questions I'm worried about.

yeah im still shocked that paper was just.. different..tbh thats all I can say & omg yes same A*s in my c/a too and I'd be happy with an A which I'm aiming for as I havent prepared for unit 3B which im hoping to start in an hour time and complete the section tomorrow and then on Wednesday I will just dedicate my time to past papers and I just found out today that theres 6,8, and apparently 15 mark questions in unit 3 ?:/ i dont remember studying unit 3 in school, i dont think anyone from my class remembers hmmm:/
Reply 5
Is this AQA? Urghh the wording out me off soo much! I guessed all the 1 markers. Started off with section B (Syria) and took 40 mins on it. Then did section A in the next 20
We've covered the unit 3 content this year. it was unit 1 we didn't cover because we done it in year 9, they basically just told us to out own revision (which was annoying). Unit 3s content I think is easier, the actual exam layout is harder. We haven't done any past papers and we don't have any citizenship lessons before Thursday so I'm gonna just make some flashcards tonight and do past papers on Tuesday and Wednesday and hope that works! As well as revising for a Chemistry mock (ugh). On all the past papers I've seen there's a 15 mark question- which looks exactly the same as a 12 mark questions but you don't get a choice in what to write about. And normally a variation between 6/8/12 mark questions, also there's a lengthy multiple choice question section which is quite good. I think I just need to get to grips with answering the past papers!
Original post by Jxrgezxk
Is this AQA? Urghh the wording out me off soo much! I guessed all the 1 markers. Started off with section B (Syria) and took 40 mins on it. Then did section A in the next 20

I done Edexcel. Was the AQA one hard?
Reply 8
I done Edexcel. Was the AQA one hard?

The questions were pathetic. Basically in section B there are some topics which we already get told. They're worth 20 marks and we have to write stuff about them. I chose about the Civil war in Syria. We get told to learn soo much content and soo much about the war itself, and the questions are hardly related to it! They're on about the UN & G8 & that ****. Also the one markers were not even on the spec! Stil most were pretty easy. Paper was good overall, questions were annoying
Reply 9
I did edexcel but hated it! I mean it was okaaaay I guess? But not quite sure if I managed to get an A or A* ..The past papers were so much easier compared to this one.. i'll be gutted if i get less than A but kinda expecting it
Original post by Anon_Ms
I did edexcel but hated it! I mean it was okaaaay I guess? But not quite sure if I managed to get an A or A* ..The past papers were so much easier compared to this one.. i'll be gutted if i get less than A but kinda expecting it

I feel the same to be honest! I've got A*s in the controlled assessments so I don't really want a B. Did you notice that as the years have went on they've got harder but the grade boundaries have stayed the same (with the past papers). I hated how they were all worded!
Original post by Jxrgezxk
The questions were pathetic. Basically in section B there are some topics which we already get told. They're worth 20 marks and we have to write stuff about them. I chose about the Civil war in Syria. We get told to learn soo much content and soo much about the war itself, and the questions are hardly related to it! They're on about the UN & G8 & that ****. Also the one markers were not even on the spec! Stil most were pretty easy. Paper was good overall, questions were annoying

Oh I think Citizenship Edexcel is really different, but you should be fine. I just hate how exam boards word questions its ridiculous!
Reply 12
I feel the same to be honest! I've got A*s in the controlled assessments so I don't really want a B. Did you notice that as the years have went on they've got harder but the grade boundaries have stayed the same (with the past papers). I hated how they were all worded!

I didnt even revise properly for this exam, felt like I didnt need to for some reason lol.. Thank God nothing too complicated came up.. opened the book 2 hours before the exam and ended up procrastinating -_-... I dont want a B either because its meant to be sucha easy paper to get an A on.. are the grade boundaries low for the past papers? hated the wordings too!!!
Original post by Anon_Ms
I didnt even revise properly for this exam, felt like I didnt need to for some reason lol.. Thank God nothing too complicated came up.. opened the book 2 hours before the exam and ended up procrastinating -_-... I dont want a B either because its meant to be sucha easy paper to get an A on.. are the grade boundaries low for the past papers? hated the wordings too!!!

OMG same! I didn't revise for it at all though because mainly it was all source based questions and the rest was like common sense which were kinda easy. But yeah really want an A in it so hopefully the next unit is just as easy
Reply 14
hi everyone, i did AQA and didn't really like it as much as I thought I would. Do any of you have the pre-release topics for the Thursday paper please? I wrote them down, but now can't find them anywhere, and I just want to focus on those three areas...time is running out! Thanks everyone.
Original post by etpink
hi everyone, i did AQA and didn't really like it as much as I thought I would. Do any of you have the pre-release topics for the Thursday paper please? I wrote them down, but now can't find them anywhere, and I just want to focus on those three areas...time is running out! Thanks everyone.

section B forr thursday paper ive been told to learn about the criminal justice system, so obviously sentancing and courts and stuff. Just learn about that thats what ive done but in section A we will be asked about theme 1,2,3 and 4! Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by sophiepoolex
section B forr thursday paper ive been told to learn about the criminal justice system, so obviously sentancing and courts and stuff. Just learn about that thats what ive done but in section A we will be asked about theme 1,2,3 and 4! Good luck!

Thanks for this. Good luck to you too!
Original post by nadiakms
the questions were okay but some of the wording was strange and got me confused I think i lost some easy marks but whatever happens, happens. The essay questions were so easy all 3 of them, but I selected the first essay question as I thought there was so much you can write about, wb you guys?

Omg, yeah the wording was so strange I had to re-read it like 3 times just to understand it better. I also chose the first essay question. I wrote about the employment tribunal. what did you include in the essay question?
This exam was URGHHHH

The wording was so stupid and the questions were pathetic.
I swear even if i revised properly then i wouldnt hve done good.

Lets just say im glad that i got A for my 60% coursework.

Anyone doing edexcel Option 3C on the 19th this Thursday?
Reply 19
Original post by x.unknown.x
Omg, yeah the wording was so strange I had to re-read it like 3 times just to understand it better. I also chose the first essay question. I wrote about the employment tribunal. what did you include in the essay question?

i wrote about being treated badly is not part of your employment contract so you dont have to put up with it and the best thing is to walk away because appealing for help or wtv takes a lot of time and can cost if you go private etc and yes about the employment tribunal and trade union. I also gave examples on how countries like bangladesh enforce child labour and etc but employees dont get the opportunity to quit so we should use the opportunity; treating someone badly cannot be justified just the typical answer tbh. Also i mentioned some laws like equal pay act and discrimination acts- i presumed it was between an employee and employer for some reason. Overall i agreed with the statement hmmm:/ wby ?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest