The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (17th May)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hairygrim
Cheaper and costly?

oops :smile: I sorta meant cheaper in long run, as yield is increased, but costly to develop. I was thinking quickly. Don't judge, I had ancient greek lessons today XD
Original post by sulaimanali
Same..but that's AQA for you! :/ Lame statistics and graphs and ethical questions are the latest trends.

You speak as if AQA is a fashion, aha I get what you mean with the lame graphs etc
got my exam tomorrow feeling confident but still hella scared
Original post by jazz_xox_
I don't want the 'suggest' questions but I know it will be full of them...thanks AQA

OMG same
Original post by niamhygriffiths
got my exam tomorrow feeling confident but still hella scared

Me too, my sister got A*s in all of her's and my parents keep comparing me to her, even though I suck at exams :smile:
GUYS LOOKKKKKK:

The first AQA GCSE Science exam of 2016 is B1, coming your way this Tuesday afternoon 17 May! We hope you’ve been working through the Unit 1 videos, practising the Revision Plus Exam Questions and checking out our Worked Answers. This is a long, but really helpful post, based on B1 Examiners’ reports. It is a selection of errors made by half, or more, of students. These are knowledge errors only, not exam technique errors (the most common of which is, of course, “didn’t read the question properly”). It is not comprehensive revision (you should’ve done that already!) but it’s a last-minute drill to help you with knowledge-based questions. So print this post out, or go make some flash cards, and test yourself! 1. What is sexual reproduction? A: Fusion or joining of egg and sperm cells or of gametes. 2. Why does the body fight off a disease more rapidly the second time it is infected? A: If re-infected antibody production is quicker or faster. (Not body knows what to do). 3. Plants —> Insect 1 —> Insect 2. Why is the biomass of Plants higher than the biomass of Insect 2? A: Not all of the plant is digested by Insect 1; Loss of biomass in urine; Loss of CO2 by Insect 1; Not all of Insect 1 is eaten (this one is often forgotten) 4. What word is used to describe a change in a gene? A: Mutation 5. Why does a plant shoot bend towards light? A: More auxin on the dark side. More growth of cells on the dark side. 6. Which part of a vaccine makes the body’s defence system respond? A: Antigens on a dead or weakened pathogen or bacteria or virus or microorganism. 7. Why does a person not catch measles after being vaccinated? A: White blood cells or memory cells produce antibodies quickly (important to say quickly or faster than before). Antibodies kill or destroy the pathogen. 8. How can scientists produce a genetically modified organism using a gene from another organism? (Remember, this is not a clone, this is genetically modified where a gene has been changed or added to an organism). A: Cut out the gene (not remove the gene) using enzymes. Transfer the gene to the embryo or egg cell of the new organism (not into the adult). 9. Why might scientists be worried about making genetically modified organisms? A: Genes could transfer to different species. Might affect the food chain. 10. Explain the changes in an organism when it adapts to a changes in the environment (e.g. larger beak size in birds because of a change in the food available). A: There is variation in beak size or a mutation occurs in beak size. Birds with larger beaks better adapted for feeding. Birds with larger beaks more likely to survive. Birds with larger beaks reproduce and pass on the gene for larger beak. 11. Give an environmental factor that affects the growth of a plant. A: Temperature, light, minerals, space. (Not climate or weather or sun). 12. How is carbon dioxide returned to the air from dead organisms? A: Microorganisms (or decomposers) decompose or rot or break down the organism. Decomposers or micro-organisms respire, releasing carbon dioxide. 13. What term is used to describe organisms that can survive in severe conditions? A: Extremophiles 14. How do pathogens makes people feel ill? A: produce toxins. Destroy body cells. 15. How do white blood cells protect the body? A: Engulf or ingest microorganisms. Produce antitoxins. Produce antibodies. 16. Why does a measles vaccination not protect against another disease? A: Antibodies are specific to one antigen or because different antibodies are needed. 17. What is metabolic rate? A: Rate of chemical reactions in the body. 18. What are the features of asexual reproduction? A: No gametes (sex cells). One parent only. No mixing of DNA. Genetically identical offspring. 19. What is a drug? A: A substance that affects a chemical reaction in the body or body chemistry. 20. Adaptations to hot conditions in plants and animals. Remember camel humps do not contain water (they contain fat which can release energy and water when broken down). Large ears on elephants are for increased heat loss by radiation of heat energy not for ‘keeping cool’. (Yes, it’s the same thing, but important to say how they keep the body cool!) 21. Remember that decomposition of plants releases heat energy by respiration (not 'produces' heat energy). 22. The MMR vaccine is for? A: Measles, mumps and rubella 23. What causes a person to become dependent on a drug? A: Changes to chemical processes in the body. (Not addiction).
^It's really useful, the videos are useful too :smile: ^
Original post by The-Hof123
^It's really useful, the videos are useful too :smile: ^

Thank you so much!!!:biggrin:
Also, I hope the 6 markers are adv. disadv. questions. A lot easier than the method ones. I hate those. :'(
http://www.my-gcsescience.com/blog/exam-plan-3/ Advice on 6 markers from the same people who did the videos and text I pasted up there
anyone got a predictions list of topics?
Original post by Elleee1234
anyone got a predictions list of topics?

GM
Fertility
Adaptations
Decay
Carbon Cycle
Drugs :smile:
Diet + exercise
Original post by The-Hof123
GM
Fertility
Adaptations
Decay
Carbon Cycle
Drugs :smile:
Diet + exercise

thanks im okay at drugs and all that just not carbon cycle
thanks im okay at drugs and all that just not carbon cycle

http://www.my-gcsescience.com/core_science/the-carbon-cycle/

Voila :smile:
Reply 94
Hope to god that Malaria doesn't come up please no
thank you

My pleasure. I'm happy to help. I suck at chem though, does anyone know a list of the different equations for CHEMISTRY. They aren't on a sheet
Reply 97
My teacher said a question asking you to conduct an experiment about reaction time may come up?!
What kind of question could come up on drug trials?

Also, any tips for not losing marks on graph/data questions? I always struggle with those :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending