The Student Room Group

AS edexcel geography help?

Could anyone help me on this question about Megacities and sustainability? - I reckon it could be a possibility for tomorrow's paper as Megacities haven't come up in a while

'Explain how Megacities might achieve sustainability and give reasons why this goal is difficult to achieve'

any help is appreciated cause I'm really struggling :smile:
Reply 1
Research Dongtan ecocity. Its a good example for this.
Reply 2
Just went over megacities an hour ago so it's fresh in my mind :biggrin:

I'm assuming this is a past 15 marker question?

Well there are plenty to talk about, my school taught us the textbook case studies such as Los Angeles and Mumbai.

LA

With sustainablitiy LA witnessed a suburban sprawl meaning that there have been congested freeways, loss of farmland and high air pollution. And other problems such as housing shortages, low level of work (deindustrialisation), water, waste, health, transport...

In order for it to be sustainable there was a Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN). The proposals included workers being payed a decent wage, benefits, increasing cleaning up brownfield sites, promoting clean fuel vehicles, affordable housing, public transport improvement, promoting safe neighbourhoods etc..

Mumbai

Most employment is in the informal sector - street trading jobs. However it's sustainable because 80% of mamba's waste is recycled, the industry itself worth nearly $1.5 billion (a year!). Led to employment in the industry 10,000 jobs though children have been employed and they are going around rubbish tips bare foot. Also have Clothing and pottery businesses in Mumbai.
Reply 3
Original post by Nik12
Just went over megacities an hour ago so it's fresh in my mind :biggrin:

I'm assuming this is a past 15 marker question?

Well there are plenty to talk about, my school taught us the textbook case studies such as Los Angeles and Mumbai.

LA

With sustainablitiy LA witnessed a suburban sprawl meaning that there have been congested freeways, loss of farmland and high air pollution. And other problems such as housing shortages, low level of work (deindustrialisation), water, waste, health, transport...

In order for it to be sustainable there was a Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN). The proposals included workers being payed a decent wage, benefits, increasing cleaning up brownfield sites, promoting clean fuel vehicles, affordable housing, public transport improvement, promoting safe neighbourhoods etc..

Mumbai

Most employment is in the informal sector - street trading jobs. However it's sustainable because 80% of mamba's waste is recycled, the industry itself worth nearly $1.5 billion (a year!). Led to employment in the industry 10,000 jobs though children have been employed and they are going around rubbish tips bare foot. Also have Clothing and pottery businesses in Mumbai.

Thanks so much!!
Reply 4
Anyone have any predictions for tomorrow's paper?
Reply 5
Original post by Yesitisi

Im gonna go for similarities to the june 15 paper as its the last year so perhaps less will be changed? well my teacher thinks so anyway.
How many papers have you guys done?
Reply 6

Im gonna go for similarities to the june 15 paper as its the last year so perhaps less will be changed? well my teacher thinks so anyway.

How many papers have you guys done?
Reply 7

The Phillipines and Arctic case studies, TNCs and Megacities!
Reply 8
We had one of the guys that wrote the geography book come in a couple of weeks ago. He really emphasised on climate change (solar output especially) and ways of measuring climate change such as tree rings and how predictable they are. Also focused on El Niño & the Arctic and Africa. For unit 2 there was lots of talk about the winners and losers of globalisation. But that's all I can really remember. He might have just been talking in general, but these things haven't come up for a while in past papers. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending