The Student Room Group

WJEC Latin Level 2 Roman Civilisation Topics

Hi there!

I'm studying for the WJEC Latin Level 2 certificate in 2017, and am hoping to take the Core Latin Language along with the Roman Civilisation Topic. I was (previously) going to take the Advanced Latin, though I've decided to switch to the Civilisation Topics - I'm homeschooled, so I can choose what I get to study XD

Basically, can anyone recommend any good study materials for the Roman Civilisation topics? I've chosen to study topic 1 (Daily Life in Roman Society). I'm studying with the Cambridge Latin Course, so I know of the study materials in those (books 1-3). I've also seen the sources on their website and the WJEC past papers for when I need to revise.

Any good books/websites/youtube channels would be really really helpful! :smile:
Bump.
Make sure you enter for the correct version of 'Roman Civilisation' depending on whether you want to do the exam paper or the coursework! There is nothing worse than finding you have been entered for the wrong paper... I've seen it happen once or twice!

If you've already decided that you want to do topic 1, then actually the material contained in the Cambridge Latin Course is a pretty good place to start. It contains practically everything you need to know. If you want to go further, then try Amazon for some books - Mary Beard's Pompeii is an interesting read.

Also, try a YouTube search for some of the houses of Pompeii... you get a good look around some of the excavations.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
If you do additional language as well as core I would highly recommend getting Cambridge Latin Course book 4 also because it contains information on, for example, ablative absolutes which you need for the exam. Doing my Level 2 this year - first exam next week! Good luck for 2017!
Original post by 4475039
If you do additional language as well as core I would highly recommend getting Cambridge Latin Course book 4 also because it contains information on, for example, ablative absolutes which you need for the exam. Doing my Level 2 this year - first exam next week! Good luck for 2017!

Good luck with your exam! :smile: I don't think I'll be doing additional language as well as core (although I'd love to!) - simply because of time constraints.
Reply 5
Original post by studentreader
Good luck with your exam! :smile: I don't think I'll be doing additional language as well as core (although I'd love to!) - simply because of time constraints.

Thank you! Yes I go to a regular state school where Latin is not part of the curriculum, however one of my language teachers knows Latin so in year 7 I was given the option to start learning it! I am in year 10 now and one of only 2 people to sit the GCSE at my school. Unfortunately I couldn't do the Latin literature exam because of time restraints as I only have an hour after school once a week, so it's just the language exams for me!
Original post by Classics_Teacher
Make sure you enter for the correct version of 'Roman Civilisation' depending on whether you want to do the exam paper or the coursework! There is nothing worse than finding you have been entered for the wrong paper... I've seen it happen once or twice!

If you've already decided that you want to do topic 1, then actually the material contained in the Cambridge Latin Course is a pretty good place to start. It contains practically everything you need to know. If you want to go further, then try Amazon for some books - Mary Beard's Pompeii is an interesting read.

Also, try a YouTube search for some of the houses of Pompeii... you get a good look around some of the excavations.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply :smile: I'll definitely check out Pompeii. I'm currently reading SPQR by Mary Beard - I really love her books!

Quick Reply