The Student Room Group

Gcse half term revision??

I've got my AQA additional and further additional exams along with history and further maths.
I know most of the basics but if I bang out loads of revision during the half term is there hope for me to still get A* on these subjects?

I'll use mygcsescience, CGP books, past papers, a revision booklet with questions for each topic that my teacher provided us with, history revision cards, past papers and past papers again.

Can I do this or are my expectations way too high?
I've been revising before but prioritising other subjects and have only been doing little snippets of revision, but if I fully focus for that half term could I still achieve A* for those subjects.
Original post by fishandrice
I've got my AQA additional and further additional exams along with history and further maths.
I know most of the basics but if I bang out loads of revision during the half term is there hope for me to still get A* on these subjects?

I'll use mygcsescience, CGP books, past papers, a revision booklet with questions for each topic that my teacher provided us with, history revision cards, past papers and past papers again.

I've been revising before but prioritising other subjects and have only been doing little snippets of revision, but if I fully focus for that half term could I still achieve A* for those subjects.

You'll be absolutely fine. Especially if you used the week free of exams well, and if you're capable of doing Further Maths then you are obviously bright enough to be able to absorb the information you will learn from revising.

I only have my History exams and the calculator Maths exam after half term, yet I'm saving all of my History revision for half term and in between exams. I'm going to Spain in the half term as well :biggrin:
Reply 2

I'm doing all the same subjects as you. I'm doing exactly as you have done. I aiming to fully revise on that half term and come out with A*s in those subjects :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by george_c00per
You'll be absolutely fine. Especially if you used the week free of exams well, and if you're capable of doing Further Maths then you are obviously bright enough to be able to absorb the information you will learn from revising.

I only have my History exams and the calculator Maths exam after half term, yet I'm saving all of my History revision for half term and in between exams. I'm going to Spain in the half term as well :biggrin:

Lol my school basically made it compulsory for some students to do further maths, we were barely given a choice. But thank you so much for the reassurance :smile:
I need to make sure I am fully dedicated to revision in the half term.
And you're going spain?? Going on holiday in the middle of your gcse's must relieve you from a lot of stress, so lucky :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by LaliG
I'm doing all the same subjects as you. I'm doing exactly as you have done. I aiming to fully revise on that half term and come out with A*s in those subjects :smile:

great!
are there any tips you can give me ?
Lol my school basically made it compulsory for some students to do further maths, we were barely given a choice. But thank you so much for the reassurance :smile:
I need to make sure I am fully dedicated to revision in the half term.
And you're going spain?? Going on holiday in the middle of your gcse's must relieve you from a lot of stress, so lucky :tongue:

Haha yes it does, I still will revise when I'm there but I'd rather do it in the 25c sunshine :cool:

P.S if you're aiming for an A* in F Maths you're obviously very clever!! I am struggling for an A in normal Maths atm :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
great!
are there any tips you can give me ?

Well, this has worked for me so far (i tried it in the mock exams). So I going to spend a whole day on each subject. I know it may not be best for some people, but it worked for me. For the sciences, I did every past paper since 2007- 2015. That helped for the B1 tomorrow. Also, read through some aqa endorsed books, e.g. myrevisionnotes helped me a lot. Mygcsescience videos are good, but sometimes they are a bit vague on certain topics.

As for history (OCR), I'm doing USA modern world, I find it generally really easy so half a day revision would be plenty for me, as I practically know it off by heart as of now. Britain I haven't practiced as much, so I will be doing the 2015 paper (Note: The 2015 paper is the only paper with the new changes to the marking system). And also, getting in some of those old questions in. I have a feeling it will be votes for women this year.

Further maths (AQA level 2), I have the weekend after the physics P2+P3 for the 70 mark further maths paper revision. I'll just be going through the topics, answering questions on my weaker areas. Then I have 4 days, one of which my school is running a further maths teaching session (which I'll be attending). So I'll use that time for the 105 mark paper. Hopefully, as I am quite good at revising like this, I think I can manage to pull it off.

Hope it helped :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by LaliG
Well, this has worked for me so far (i tried it in the mock exams). So I going to spend a whole day on each subject. I know it may not be best for some people, but it worked for me. For the sciences, I did every past paper since 2007- 2015. That helped for the B1 tomorrow. Also, read through some aqa endorsed books, e.g. myrevisionnotes helped me a lot. Mygcsescience videos are good, but sometimes they are a bit vague on certain topics.

As for history (OCR), I'm doing USA modern world, I find it generally really easy so half a day revision would be plenty for me, as I practically know it off by heart as of now. Britain I haven't practiced as much, so I will be doing the 2015 paper (Note: The 2015 paper is the only paper with the new changes to the marking system). And also, getting in some of those old questions in. I have a feeling it will be votes for women this year.

Further maths (AQA level 2), I have the weekend after the physics P2+P3 for the 70 mark further maths paper revision. I'll just be going through the topics, answering questions on my weaker areas. Then I have 4 days, one of which my school is running a further maths teaching session (which I'll be attending). So I'll use that time for the 105 mark paper. Hopefully, as I am quite good at revising like this, I think I can manage to pull it off.

Hope it helped :smile:

wow, thanks so much.
I learn better with science videos but mygcsescience hasn't been updated for a while now so lacks a bit of detail so I will definitely be referring to the CGP books.
For history, I do Edexcel and the Unit I need to focus on is the Cold War so I will make sure that I pay attention to the mark schemes for that:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by george_c00per
Haha yes it does, I still will revise when I'm there but I'd rather do it in the 25c sunshine :cool:

P.S if you're aiming for an A* in F Maths you're obviously very clever!! I am struggling for an A in normal Maths atm :colondollar:

But tbh, for further maths you only need around half the marks for an A so it's not so worrying, I found gcse maths more stressful than further maths (so much to know for the exam)
Reply 9
have you started revising history already a little bit beforehand because I feel like I might have to start from scratch and I don't know if i'll be able to cope
If course you can get an A*!

If it helps, for history I just memorised all the dates in the textbook for each exams a few days before rather than doing content - Found it very useful and got an A* in the end.
okay thanks:smile:
Reply 12
Yes. I generally watch every mygcsescience video when revising it, that got me an A* in the last two mocks and it should pay off again! I follow the specification along with the videos to make sure there's nothing being overlooked. History, on the other hand, I have to fully revise nights before as the dates won't stick in my head for more than a week. At GCSE I believe you can go from a C to A* in a week for any subject unless it's maths due to the content. You'll nail it, trust me, you have plenty of time. A-Levels are when much more is required.

Quick Reply

Latest