The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (B1) Exam 17th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I hope the 6 marker is on something to do with homeostasis, also I've been sticking loads of posters on my wall and doing past papers which has helped me quite a lot, I will be gutted if the 6 marker is on genetics though :s-smilie:
Ahhh no way other people doing edexcel triple science! Everyone seems to be doing AQA and OCR on here!
I really enjoy revising extension science compared to core and additional. I did core last year and I'm doing core again this year as part of the separate sciences. That's 4 science GCSEs in total. Last year, I revised a week before and got (UMS):

80/80 Bio A*
72/80 Chem A*
72/80 Phy A*

Doing past papers and looking at mark schemes to see how Edexcel wants you to approach questions is important and I would advise everyone here to do this. It'll only take 2hrs tops depending on how many papers you want to go through. I assume everyone here has revised the whole syllabus. When there's a question you don't know in the exam, apply what you know into the question. EG. Why does cystic fibrosis cause infertility? Excess mucus blocks tubes for sperm to travel from testes to penis. Exam boards never expects you to answer questions not part of the specification. Good luck! Any Q's feel free to ask :smile:
congrats on such great grades! :smile: ive got b1 tomorrow and C1 on thursday and I still haven't gotten through the syllabus *_* do you have any tips on cramming? i'm familiar with most of the topics but I can't help but feel panicked that there's still quite a lot to do. I was very ill during the year so I wasn't able to study the last few months. congrats once again! ^_^
Original post by sugarisfunny
congrats on such great grades! :smile: ive got b1 tomorrow and C1 on thursday and I still haven't gotten through the syllabus *_* do you have any tips on cramming? i'm familiar with most of the topics but I can't help but feel panicked that there's still quite a lot to do. I was very ill during the year so I wasn't able to study the last few months. congrats once again! ^_^

I did notes for each subtopic (eg. B1.11 Homeostasis). For some reason, once I write notes down from reading the textbook, I instantly remember it. For me, it took about 30 mins per sub topic so it'll probably take 15 hrs in total. You could watch some b1 edexcel related YouTube videos. You could also memorise some of the definitions you need to know. Ty btw. Good luck! But I would advise you to revise a week before at least for your remaining exams. :smile:

Also, look though the specification: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Science/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG034971_GCSE_Lin_Science_Issue_3.pdf

B1 is pg 22-34
That's everything you need to know btw for b1
predictions?
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous061299
I hope the 6 marker is on something to do with homeostasis, also I've been sticking loads of posters on my wall and doing past papers which has helped me quite a lot, I will be gutted if the 6 marker is on genetics though :s-smilie:

I think any question on homeostasis will be great, not to sure on the other two topics- it depends on the subtopic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSlayerr
I did notes for each subtopic (eg. B1.11 Homeostasis). For some reason, once I write notes down from reading the textbook, I instantly remember it. For me, it took about 30 mins per sub topic so it'll probably take 15 hrs in total. You could watch some b1 edexcel related YouTube videos. You could also memorise some of the definitions you need to know. Ty btw. Good luck! But I would advise you to revise a week before at least for your remaining exams. :smile:

Thanks for such helpful advice :smile: I've been studying the past few hours and have gotten over halfway through ^.^ I'vs been writing notes and once completed I make flash cards to memorize and its going great :smile: I'm defo taking on the advice of studying a week before, will be making a timetable shortly :smile: thanks again!
Thanks for such helpful advice :smile: I've been studying the past few hours and have gotten over halfway through ^.^ I'vs been writing notes and once completed I make flash cards to memorize and its going great :smile: I'm defo taking on the advice of studying a week before, will be making a timetable shortly :smile: thanks again!

Np! Good luck :smile:
6 marker:
Describe all the processes involved in the nitrogen cycle.

Plants and animals cannot directly use nitrogen gas. They need to get it from nitrogen containing substances. Nitrogen in the air can be fixed into ammonia using nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil or nitrogen fixing bacteria in root nodules of legumes (mutualistic relationship). Plants can use ammonia, but they grow better with nitrates. Nitrifying bacteria can convert ammonia into nitrates. Lightning can provide enough energy to combine nitrogen and oxygen in the air, forming nitrates. Animals eat the plants containing nitrogen compounds which will be used to make proteins etc in their biomass. Some nitrogen compounds will be excreted into the environment in faeces or urine. When plants or animals die, decomposers break down urea and proteins into ammonia. Sometimes, there is a lack of oxygen in the soil so denitrifying bacteria converts nitrates into nitrites and others convert nitrites into nitrogen gas.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
What is the other 6 marker apart from the nitogen cycle and does anyone know the key questions that might come up????
Reply 33
How did everyone do? I think I got the nitrogen 6 marker as I wrote about all bacteria and due to the fact it saying 'describe the role of bacteria' I only touched on other things like lightening. I got 4.5mm for the calculation one to work out the difference. I think I lost marks on the malaria one about countries with high levels of sickle cell disease.

For the two uses in commercial- I wrote to produce seedless fruit and veg ( will I still get the mark because the spec doesn't mention veg?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found it quite easy. The 6 markers were a blessing lol. I got 6.5mm for the calculation one?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by viperimz
Found it quite easy. The 6 markers were a blessing lol. I got 6.5mm for the calculation one?

Sorry, that's what I meant. Typo error. What did you write for the other questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37

For the role of the brain in thermoregulation, I wrote about hypothalamus and negative feedback. Is that what you put? For the one about auxins killing weeds, I wrote it inhibits the growth of the weeds and about gravitropism because I didn't know what to write!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
You guys that helped with nitrogen cycle I thank you so much 😭😭❤️❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
For the malaria question, I realise I wrote about the wrong thing... But could I get any marks for saying how the red blood cells are sickle shape and get caught in the capillaries, and are therefore less likely to fight off an infection?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending