The Student Room Group

More than one student bank account?

Hi I'm just wondering if it is possible to get more than one student bank account purely for the overdraft facility
Currently I have one with Halifax I get £1000 overdraft however I'm always so close to maxing it this is mainly owing to the fact I recieve the minimum student loan an no grant from finance England

I have been to Santander but they refused on the grounds I already had another account, is this common practice of all the banks?
Original post by Katieannxx
Hi I'm just wondering if it is possible to get more than one student bank account purely for the overdraft facility
Currently I have one with Halifax I get £1000 overdraft however I'm always so close to maxing it this is mainly owing to the fact I recieve the minimum student loan an no grant from finance England

I have been to Santander but they refused on the grounds I already had another account, is this common practice of all the banks?

Yep - certainly when I was at uni you were only allowed one student account. That didn't stop a lot of people getting second accounts though, but they may have clamped down on this?

Remember that a bank can demand immediate repayment of an overdraft at any time so best not to get too many...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the banks t&cs but many only allow you to have one. Can you ask for an earlier extension or is that the max the account allows?
It really should be a last resort but are you eligible for a student credit card? Is there anything that you dont need anymore that you can get rid of for a little cash?
I've always had a HSBC account, since I was young, and I recently opened a Barclays account too. Didn't encounter an problems!
Original post by FusionNetworks
I've always had a HSBC account, since I was young, and I recently opened a Barclays account too. Didn't encounter an problems!

Current (and savings) accounts are different. You can have as many of either or both as you want. But it states in the t&cs of student accounts that you may not hold one elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending