The Student Room Group

I have 2 questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
But surely you can just switch to start thinking in Vietnamese.
Original post by ghajok45
What languages do you speak?
Do you have the ability to think in your other language even though you predominantly think in one language?

English and German. I can think in the other language, but my knowledge of that isn't as thorough so sometimes I end up thinking in both if I try to think in German.
Reply 22
Do you know when the switch over happened from thinking in Vietnamese to thinking in English?
Reply 23
Original post by The_JoKeR
English and German. I can think in the other language, but my knowledge of that isn't as thorough so sometimes I end up thinking in both if I try to think in German.

When did you learn English and German?

So like a German/English hybrid?
When did you learn English and German?

So like a German/English hybrid?
German from parents, not really a mother tongue but they decided to teach it to me a few years back. 4ish years ago? And English from when I was born.

Guess so depending on the context.
Reply 25
So more of natural english thinking and forced vietnamese thinking.
Reply 26
German from parents, not really a mother tongue but they decided to teach it to me a few years back. 4ish years ago? And English from when I was born.

Guess so depending on the context.

When did you start learning german, the age?
When did you start learning german, the age?

10ish
Reply 28
10ish

That's interesting, the later you leave it the more impossible it gets. At age 10 learning a new language is hard, I say if you had started a couple of years earlier, say age 6/7, you would be pretty fluent in german now.
That's interesting, the later you leave it the more impossible it gets. At age 10 learning a new language is hard, I say if you had started a couple of years earlier, say age 6/7, you would be pretty fluent in german now.

Yeh, the earlier the better.
yes for both questions
Reply 31
Original post by animeamanda1412
yes for both questions

Are you bilingual?

And can you elaborate on the second question.
Are you bilingual?

And can you elaborate on the second question.

yh i speak arabic and english
sometimes my thoughts are in arabic and sometimes (and i guess mostly) in english

and I used to go to an arab school quite long ago and i remember that when we learnt science and parts of the digestive system everythinggg is different
like the stomach is معدة
and the esophagus is مريئ
i used to find it quite easy to learn as the words weren't long
but for example esophagus is kinda...ya know xD
Reply 33
yh i speak arabic and english
sometimes my thoughts are in arabic and sometimes (and i guess mostly) in english

and I used to go to an arab school quite long ago and i remember that when we learnt science and parts of the digestive system everythinggg is different
like the stomach is معدة
and the esophagus is مريئ
i used to find it quite easy to learn as the words weren't long
but for example esophagus is kinda...ya know xD

I would have thought you would think in your better language (english i'm guessing for you), with the option to think in the weaker language.

A lot of bilinguals don't even think in their weaker language, unless they are speaking the weaker language or if they decide..."hey let's think in arabic for a bit"
I would have thought you would think in your better language (english i'm guessing for you), with the option to think in the weaker language.

A lot of bilinguals don't even think in their weaker language, unless they are speaking the weaker language or if they decide..."hey let's think in arabic for a bit"

Im not really weak in arabic (i only speak arabic at home)
but idk i just use english because my idead are too english for me to think in arabic for them haha
but sometimes i think in arabic (especially if im swearing at someone lol)
Reply 35
Im not really weak in arabic (i only speak arabic at home)
but idk i just use english because my idead are too english for me to think in arabic for them haha
but sometimes i think in arabic (especially if im swearing at someone lol)

Do you think in arabic when you are speaking arabic?

So essentially you think in 2 languages, or at least can think in 2 languages even if you don't take the option (like some bilinguals).
Do you think in arabic when you are speaking arabic?

So essentially you think in 2 languages, or at least can think in 2 languages even if you don't take the option (like some bilinguals).

yhh when im talking arabic i think in arabic
but as you said sometimes id zone out basically thought-talking to myself sort of thing and not think about what language im thinking in (sometimes i literally merge them xD)
Reply 37
yhh when im talking arabic i think in arabic
but as you said sometimes id zone out basically thought-talking to myself sort of thing and not think about what language im thinking in (sometimes i literally merge them xD)

So when you are thinking on your own (not speaking any language to someone), you prefer to think in English, but you could easily make yourself think in Arabic? Is that correct?
So when you are thinking on your own (not speaking any language to someone), you prefer to think in English, but you could easily make yourself think in Arabic? Is that correct?

yhh
Reply 39
1) Can someone who is bilingual think in both of their languages? That means for example if they were bilingual in English and Spanish, they could think to themselves in English or they could think to themselves in Spanish.

2) If in an english maths text book it says...."this is called the product rule"....does that mean that formula is called product rule in the english language and that in other languages the formula is called something else.
Do they teach you the english name for new things because of the dominance of english in research publications in math/science? Like it makes no sense to know the persian name of the product rule formula if no one publishes math research in persian.

1) personally yes. I find the English language so easy although it is not my first language.

2) I do not know really but my mum had told me that when she was in school everything was in farsi but things like maths and sciene were mostly the same as we learn here just different way of saying it eg algebra, sine, cosine etc

Quick Reply

Latest