AS Edexcel Geography Predictions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ImagineCats
If we get this I will cry of happiness and nail it pls pls pls pls come up

I reckon it's very likely!! :smile:
Reply 41
Describe how TNCs are accelerating globalisation? For Roots it coul be about limitations to gathered evidence, where to find it etc. Megacities probably sustainability this year, impacts of intense urbanisation or be sneaky and link it into world at risk and get us to talk about vulnerability. Hmmm

Thanks a lot xx hopefully it will be a good exam
Reply 42
soooooooooooooooooo.. what you guys aiming for in this exam?
Also as it's the last year of this course whats the betting they've saved the best til last for the hardest questions? They can repeat some, but there's some in the revision guide that I've never seen in a past paper like moral issues to globalisation and reducing risks to hazards (Vietnam 2011 floods- red cross stuff) and helping poverty with those UN millennium development goals? Ehhhh
Original post by #Sabrina#

Yeah same. Or an A in this one so I can get a C on friday and aim for a B overall
Yeah same. Or an A in this one so I can get a C on friday and aim for a B overall

To be honest a lot of people do better on unit 2
Original post by Alisha07
There are some key major case studies for example UK to Spain, Poland to UK. These are key for the global challenges part. Try and overview these in the revision guide (CGP). But also don't forget TNCs and Megacities as they often come up. Just remember the main key points for the case study. 10 marker - 2/3 paragraphs. 15 marker - 3 paragraphs with at least 3 case study examples! Hope this helps! Remember past paper practice under time conditions will give an idea in the actual exam. :smile: I'm nervous too!!!

My teachers barely given me any advice for the essays- is this sounds advice from teachers? I know people who write 4 paragraphs then 5! Do you have a specific structure like PEE? Argh annoyed that I'm only just thinking about this now :frown:
To be honest a lot of people do better on unit 2

It's 11 pages in my revision guide but I've barely revised for it :frown: Hope this is true ahah
It's 11 pages in my revision guide but I've barely revised for it :frown: Hope this is true ahah

As long as you know your fieldwork and research you'll be fine coz that accounts for most of our marks
Reply 50
Do you think rural-urban migration wil come up?

I'm not sure but it is quite likely!
Original post by Alisha07
I'm not sure but it is quite likely!

Thanks, there's just so much to know and when I think i've covered everything I find something that i've missed out😕
Also as it's the last year of this course whats the betting they've saved the best til last for the hardest questions? They can repeat some, but there's some in the revision guide that I've never seen in a past paper like moral issues to globalisation and reducing risks to hazards (Vietnam 2011 floods- red cross stuff) and helping poverty with those UN millennium development goals? Ehhhh

I was wondering the exact same thing, what if they make the questions really hard as its the last year of this course or what if they've become slightly easier.
Just to check, are these the reasons for drought-

In temperate regions depressions bring about rainfall but this is sometimes blocked by an anticyclone forcing the depressing to track north

The ITCZ lies near the equator and carries rainfall from north to south. However high atmospheric pressure winds can block the rainfall thus creating drought.

El Niño causes drought in areas like Australia, Indonesia and South Africa.
Here are some ecological impacts on the Arctic:

Vegetation tracks north which destabilises existing food webs.

There will be thawing of permafrost (also an example of positive feedback) rivers and lakes may drain affecting freshwater fish like drought.

There will be increased Forrest fires and insect deaths.

Increased UV radiation will reach the sea and affect phytoplankton which is the base of the marine food chain.

Land species who are adapted your Arctic climate like the arctic fox and caribou will fall.

Indigenous people will see a fall in hunting- can lead to food insecurity.

Polar bears will have less sea ice to hunt seals on. Polar bears may go extinct.

The Arctic becomes more vulnerable and permissible to oil exploitation from Russia, Greenland and Canada.
Affects of climate change on Africa:

*Africa is expected to warm by 3 degrees by 2100

Drought and flooding will affect water and food security.

There will be more rural to coastal migration. More vulnerable to floods.

Poverty means they have less funds to mitigate or adapt to climate change

70% of population are subsistence farmers who rely on a good climate. Climate change will cause drought which results in crop failure rendering farmers with no money and nothing to eat. Famine may occur.

A spread of vector borne (malaria) and watee born diseases (cholera)

Water stress could lead to conflict eg Nile

Loss of natural resources effects people who rely on animal and plants to live.
Mega cities:

Tokyo has a population of over 33 million. A global bin for tech, finance and commerce. Overcrowding issues. Hazard issues. A throbbing financial metropolis. The original mega city. Second Largest supply of fresh fish in the world. The city is innovative and has a history of being architecturally beautiful (Tree building- second tallest in the world)

Dhaka in Bangladesh. Centre for trade. Many slums. Population of over 13 million. Fastest growing mega city in the word. 28% of populations live in slums. They work in the informal sector e.g rickshaw driving. Growth of apparel industries has attracted women. Spread of diseases.
Comparing the disaster hotspots:

Philippines: a classic hotspot here the typhoon belt interacts with the mobile destructive plate boundary in a rapidly developing country. El Niño cycles increase range of hazards. It is a LDCs and has a population of 90 million. Areas near the north east are more vulnerable. Landscape- mountainous country with coastal lowlands. 7000 many very small islands spread over latitudes between 5 degrees -to 20 degrees north and south of the equator. Typhoons are main hazard, volcanic eruptions are dangerous with lahars, landslides in mountainous areas. Philippines is densely populated making it more vulnerable. Deforestation , poor land management and rapid urbanisation.

California- a population of 41 million. An elongated area ranging from sub tropical in north to tropical in south, major tectonic hotspot which is also subject to extreme weather hazards brought by El Niño. Conservative boundary creates minor and major earthquakes. Yellowstone could also erupt soon. Drought is omni present (think Coachella). It is the wealthiest state in America and has funds to mitigate hazards. Economic cost is HUGE.
Posted from TSR Mobile
You may have just saved my life I'm not so confident on the Philippines but california I'm fine with
Long term climate change- ice ages and warmer periods known as interglacials. Evidence comes from iron ores from arctic ice sheets. Air is samples from bubbles trapped in ice. Ice ages is low CO2 and warm interglacials is higher CO2. Natural evidence is Milankovotch cycles of orbital eccentricity and axial precision and axial tilt. Theory is called astronomical forcing. These are variations in the earths orbit around the sun affecting the Suns distribution, timing and amount.

Medium climate change- we have to rely on proxy records like paintings, poems and diaries which can be less accurate. The pattern of retreating glaciers can be seen from painting of the Alps. Grape harvests in France were used to identify cold and warm periods. Linked to little ice age and medieval warm period. This is linked to changes in solar output. Sunspots are dark spots on the Suns surface caused by intense magnetic storms). Lots of spots increases solar radiation which warms the earth. Volcanic eruptions such as mount pins rink can cause cooling of climate. Mount Pinatubo released 17 million tonnes of sulphur dioxide which blocked sun reaching the earth. This is temporary!

Short term climate change- ice sheet and glaciers retreating, - detected by satellites. Air and ocean temperatures are records and ecosystem changes monitored. Caused by enhanced greenhouse effect. Man inflicted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending