The Student Room Group

New Spec AQA AS Level Economics Paper 1 - 16th of May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Varun127
Mean was 6.29, as the answer was 6.287 for calculation, and it wanted to nearest penny.
And yes 4 marker was fall in demand

whats question was this?? mean??? i don't remember calculating anything
Original post by koolgurl14
whats question was this?? mean??? i don't remember calculating anything

It was the mean question, context 2 :smile:
I messed up on the 10 marker for context two big time.
I shifted the demand curve instead and said the tax would reduce demand for cigarettes because I'm stupid but i valid points about the elasticity of the demand curve due to addictive properties and explained the diagram also adding relevant application and definitions.
So will I get awarded 0 marks for this error as it is annoying me :frown:
Original post by KishanPatel99
I messed up on the 10 marker for context two big time.
I shifted the demand curve instead and said the tax would reduce demand for cigarettes because I'm stupid but i valid points about the elasticity of the demand curve due to addictive properties and explained the diagram also adding relevant application and definitions.
So will I get awarded 0 marks for this error as it is annoying me :frown:

demand does shift downwards (left).and diagram is only worth 4 marks if the whole thing is right, assuming you got the labels right I'm sure you got 2-3/4

you definitely won't get 0/10 for a mistake, they dont judge on errors, they judge on whats there.
Original post by zainyyyyy
demand does shift downwards (left).and diagram is only worth 4 marks if the whole thing is right, assuming you got the labels right I'm sure you got 2-3/4

you definitely won't get 0/10 for a mistake, they dont judge on errors, they judge on whats there.

Thanks that takes some stress off lol and i shifted demand inwards which is good. I got confused because the question was asking about consumption and i ended up shifting the demand curve inwards but hope it don't effect my grade to much
Original post by KishanPatel99
Thanks that takes some stress off lol and i shifted demand inwards which is good. I got confused because the question was asking about consumption and i ended up shifting the demand curve inwards but hope it don't effect my grade to much

consumption is demand, if the question was about consumption and you moved the demand curve you got it right, especially when it was talking about cigarettes, you definitely got it right
Original post by zainyyyyy
consumption is demand, if the question was about consumption and you moved the demand curve you got it right, especially when it was talking about cigarettes, you definitely got it right

Even when talking about an indirect tax in mirco econ?
i did that same extract, but an indirect tax is VAT, vat is supply and demand side, so it can shift both downwards
Reply 48
Hey did anyone do context 1? And if so for the 25 marker do you think you could have written about monopolies and perfect competition as that was in the extracts?
could you show the rise in indirect tax by just showing a movement along the demand curve and how demand falls as price rises?
And also, for the LRAC question where you had to select the graph which would gain monopoly power what was the answer?
Multiple Choice
I found the multiple choice okay. There was a few odd questions and I think I put 250 instead of 240 on the PES questions by accident. I probably got around 14

Context 2
Definition
I forgot to to talk about how demerit goods are over consumed in a free market! 2/3

Maths Question
Easy 4 marks for anyone who has any sort of maths knowledge.

Data
As usual. High vs High and Low vs Low. Another easy 4 marks.

Graph
As long as I'm right, I think I should get 4. I just showed the effect of a decrease in demand I believe

10 Marker
Found this okay. Just talked about the effects of it, tried to stick to the questions and explained the graph fairly well. Should get 8 or 9/10 on this one.

25 Marker
Im really annoyed about this, I only done 2 points. 1 on the effect of using regulations and one on the alternative method of using an indirect tax. Although I did explain them in detail. Overall I done 4 pages with a judgement at the end. If I only 2 points and a judgement, how many marks would I get?

Overall I'm hoping for a B.
Original post by Noioiiiic
And also, for the LRAC question where you had to select the graph which would gain monopoly power what was the answer?

I put C. The one which gradually kept getting lower.
Original post by Noioiiiic
could you show the rise in indirect tax by just showing a movement along the demand curve and how demand falls as price rises?

The main idea of a tax is that the supply curve is the same as Private costs. If a tax is added there is an increase in costs since they now have to pay the government. That is why it is shown by a shift in the supply curve. Which increases price which then decreases the amount demanded.
Unofficial markscheme anyone?
Reply 55
anyone found a leak online of the QP or MS?
Reply 56
unofficial mark scheme please anyone.
Also, I did context 1 but messed up the percentage question as i just worked out 45% of the value for 2014.
Can someone please tell me how many marks I would get, if any, for getting that answer and the working out?
Thank you
Paper was pretty decent I thought, a couple of different and testing MCQs but overall not bad. The ones I didn't get were the one asking for which part of the graph represented the increased price to consumers of monopoly being present. And the very last one on equality and equity? Any help?
Original post by AlfieClements
Multiple Choice
I found the multiple choice okay. There was a few odd questions and I think I put 250 instead of 240 on the PES questions by accident. I probably got around 14

Context 2
Definition
I forgot to to talk about how demerit goods are over consumed in a free market! 2/3

Maths Question
Easy 4 marks for anyone who has any sort of maths knowledge.

Data
As usual. High vs High and Low vs Low. Another easy 4 marks.

Graph
As long as I'm right, I think I should get 4. I just showed the effect of a decrease in demand I believe

10 Marker
Found this okay. Just talked about the effects of it, tried to stick to the questions and explained the graph fairly well. Should get 8 or 9/10 on this one.

25 Marker
Im really annoyed about this, I only done 2 points. 1 on the effect of using regulations and one on the alternative method of using an indirect tax. Although I did explain them in detail. Overall I done 4 pages with a judgement at the end. If I only 2 points and a judgement, how many marks would I get?

Overall I'm hoping for a B.

I swear I put 250 instead of 240. I can't remember tbh. Do you know the question. It was like 0.8.
Original post by Kholmes1
I swear I put 250 instead of 240. I can't remember tbh. Do you know the question. It was like 0.8.

Yeah It was that question

Quick Reply

Latest