The Student Room Group

Doing 6 AS levels, few questions

subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, RE and General Studies (lol ik okay this isn't really one, sorry).

will I be at a disadvantage getting average/mediocre grades in all 6 or would it have been better to get mostly A's in maybe 3/4? I think I can get an A in maths, maybe B in biology, physics and RE, chemistry C (probably fail) and general studies I have no idea, forced to take it =[ Do I have to show all my results on my Uni application? To my understanding, I'm going to have a lot of UCAS points but not many high grades, meaning I won't be getting into a good uni (?). I feel as if if I had less work overall, I'd be able to concentrate on each subject more. There isn't enough time in the day to revise each subject and keep my sanity, lmao
Original post by theguywhosaidhi
subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, RE and General Studies (lol ik okay this isn't really one, sorry).

will I be at a disadvantage getting average/mediocre grades in all 6 or would it have been better to get mostly A's in maybe 3/4? I think I can get an A in maths, maybe B in biology, physics and RE, chemistry C (probably fail) and general studies I have no idea, forced to take it =[ Do I have to show all my results on my Uni application? To my understanding, I'm going to have a lot of UCAS points but not many high grades, meaning I won't be getting into a good uni (?). I feel as if if I had less work overall, I'd be able to concentrate on each subject more. There isn't enough time in the day to revise each subject and keep my sanity, lmao

It's pretty much always better to get higher grades in a few subjects than mediocre grades in lots. You have to declare every result on your UCAS application to universities - there's no hiding any bad grades, so it's best not to get any! Even the very top universities, such as Oxbridge, would much rather see AAAA at AS, and similarly high predictions for A level, than ABBBC. You'd only be at a disadvantage, and while it may technically add up to more UCAS points, top universities generally base their decisions on grades, not points.

Essentially, do maximum 4 AS levels plus general studies, and your general studies grade likely won't even be considered by universities. Doing 5 or 6 in total would only make you more stressed, with less time to get higher grades and an overall worse experience both in the short term, while studying, and in the long term, as you apply and get into university.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
It's pretty much always better to get higher grades in a few subjects than mediocre grades in lots. You have to declare every result on your UCAS application to universities - there's no hiding any bad grades, so it's best not to get any! Even the very top universities, such as Oxbridge, would much rather see AAAA at AS, and similarly high predictions for A level, than ABBBC. You'd only be at a disadvantage, and while it may technically add up to more UCAS points, top universities generally base their decisions on grades, not points.

Essentially, do maximum 4 AS levels plus general studies, and your general studies grade likely won't even be considered by universities. Doing 5 or 6 in total would only make you more stressed, with less time to get higher grades and an overall worse experience both in the short term, while studying, and in the long term, as you apply and get into university.

Okay that makes sense, well I have to do the exams now as they're this week and the weeks that follow. Is it possible to score highly in A2 to solve the issue or will I not even be considered if I do mediocre in my AS?

I'm currently doing 6 AS levels + EPQ, one of those being critical thinking - so about as valued as general studies. Whilst it's a heck of a lot of work (and that's with 3 (reformed) subjects that I'm not being examined in this year!), and I definitely barely have time for a social life - and by that I mean I only go out once or twice in a holiday to see friends and still study on those days, and don't go out after school - I find it very rewarding. However, the workload is frankly ridiculous, and it's so, so stressful: and as said above, universities prefer 3-4 good grades vs 5-6 mediocre/below average grades!
Original post by roarchika
I'm currently doing 6 AS levels + EPQ, one of those being critical thinking - so about as valued as general studies. Whilst it's a heck of a lot of work (and that's with 3 (reformed) subjects that I'm not being examined in this year!), and I definitely barely have time for a social life - and by that I mean I only go out once or twice in a holiday to see friends and still study on those days, and don't go out after school - I find it very rewarding. However, the workload is frankly ridiculous, and it's so, so stressful: and as said above, universities prefer 3-4 good grades vs 5-6 mediocre/below average grades!

will scoring highly in A2 matter or are they not even going to consider me if my AS grades are somewhat low?

also super glad to see someone else who realises how much work it is, and how stressful it is :frown:
will scoring highly in A2 matter or are they not even going to consider me if my AS grades are somewhat low?

AS grades are grades you have in your hands, whereas when you apply you won't have A2 grades, just predicted grades. Therefore, universities are more likely to trust high predicted grades if they're supported by high AS grades.
AS grades are grades you have in your hands, whereas when you apply you won't have A2 grades, just predicted grades. Therefore, universities are more likely to trust high predicted grades if they're supported by high AS grades.

Hmmm, so basically I'm ****ed? Doing well at A2 does not matter then by that logic as I won't be considered due to mediocre AS Levels. That sucks, I feel really screwed over by my school throwing all these subjects on me to boost their average UCAS point score per pupil, I should have rejected doing RE + GStudies I guess. Thanks anyways.
Hmmm, so basically I'm ****ed? Doing well at A2 does not matter then by that logic as I won't be considered due to mediocre AS Levels. That sucks, I feel really screwed over by my school throwing all these subjects on me to boost their average UCAS point score per pupil, I should have rejected doing RE + GStudies I guess. Thanks anyways.

Don't have to apply to uni in second year, can defer entry or whatever or apply at a later date and start uni a year later. Work your ass off in A2 to correct your 3 important subjects and retake what you need. Can apply with A2 grades at that later point, also if you don't exactly do well in all exams you can retake this year with 4 subjects if your teachers agree to let you back.
Original post by Vikingninja
Don't have to apply to uni in second year, can defer entry or whatever or apply at a later date and start uni a year later. Work your ass off in A2 to correct your 3 important subjects and retake what you need. Can apply with A2 grades at that later point, also if you don't exactly do well in all exams you can retake this year with 4 subjects if your teachers agree to let you back.

I think I can get an ABBBCC at AS if it goes my way, then I could take the top 3 subjects to A2 and work my ass off to make them A's - that would leave me with AAA (A2) and BCC (AS). Is it not better to have those extra AS' grades? I mean, the only difference is that most people will have 4 grades (3 A2; 1 AS) but I'll have those 2 extra, even if they're average they're still additional AS grades! Does it work like this or am I missing something?

EDIT: So from this point till my exams, I should focus on getting 3 good AS grades THEN take them to A2 so my target grades are good for them? And just make sure the rest are decent, but nothing amazing.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think I can get an ABBBCC at AS if it goes my way, then I could take the top 3 subjects to A2 and work my ass off to make them A's - that would leave me with AAA (A2) and BCC (AS). Is it not better to have those extra AS' grades? I mean, the only difference is that most people will have 4 grades (3 A2; 1 AS) but I'll have those 2 extra, even if they're average they're still additional AS grades! Does it work like this or am I missing something?

Your general studies is near useless and so is your RE depending on your subject at uni though you look like a science guy. Thing is unis give offers based on 3 grades, they couldn't care less about your below average grades in a irrelevant subject or your random other one.

Unis want people with high grades in relevant subjects not general average in a random bunch especially a good uni.

Sorry if I sound rude and dickish but I am very blunt when it comes to these things and I just shove what I have to say here.

Edit: also I'm not saying to abandon those subjects this year, still do your best in each one.
(edited 7 years ago)
Your general studies is near useless and so is your RE depending on your subject at uni though you look like a science guy. Thing is unis give offers based on 3 grades, they couldn't care less about your below average grades in a irrelevant subject or your random other one.

Unis want people with high grades in relevant subjects not general average in a random bunch especially a good uni.

Sorry if I sound rude and dickish but I am very blunt when it comes to these things and I just shove what I have to say here.

Edit: also I'm not saying to abandon those subjects this year, still do your best in each one.

no it's okay, I really appreciate the honesty and your time! so I should focus on the main 3 subjects (maths, physics and biology) and just make sure the other ones are decent?
no it's okay, I really appreciate the honesty and your time! so I should focus on the main 3 subjects (maths, physics and biology) and just make sure the other ones are decent?

Yeah make sure they're all decent, some unis may not like seeing some odd lower grades in other ones but it'll depend especially since the subjects you are carrying on have the good grades. Also one of your main ones you may not do so well in so make sure the chemistry is pretty decent as well.

Wouldn't really worry about an odd B since a lot of good unis still have B's in their typical offers.
Yeah make sure they're all decent, some unis may not like seeing some odd lower grades in other ones but it'll depend especially since the subjects you are carrying on have the good grades. Also one of your main ones you may not do so well in so make sure the chemistry is pretty decent as well.

Wouldn't really worry about an odd B since a lot of good unis still have B's in their typical offers.

thanks a lot, you cleared up a lot for me, have a good night! =D

if all goes wrong, there is most likely a resit oppurtunity I guess.. i'll give it my best shot, all I can do really!

Quick Reply

Latest