The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Question Game!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by InneRs
Thalidomide can be used for leprosy treatment, however, it causes defection of babies if taken by a pregnant woman.

Perfect! :biggrin:
Original post by hafsa473
adv- helps with leprosy and morning sickness
disadv - can cause serious deformity in newborns

What was darwins theory? (4 marks)

Darwin's theory is based on evolution and natural selection. Each organism produces more offspring than the environment can support, but only those who have characteristics suited to that environment will survive to reproduce- natural selection. In this way each coming generation is more suited too its environment,t and this is how evolution takes place.
Original post by emunia123
Darwin's theory is based on evolution and natural selection. Each organism produces more offspring than the environment can support, but only those who have characteristics suited to that environment will survive to reproduce- natural selection. In this way each coming generation is more suited too its environment,t and this is how evolution takes place.

Best answer so far on natural selection and darwin so far...
OML Trying to revise, and as soon mam goes bathroom, I start singing ' Lay me down ' - John Legend&Sam Smith. Damnnn :smile:
Give examples of NON-LIVING indicators of environmental change.
Original post by dhruvap
1) There is a loss of habitat
2) There would be a change in the eco-system through changes in the temp and rainfall...

-Loss of habitat
-Population remaining is likely to be small and vulnerable so less likely to survive
-Loss of food source
-Fewer plant species due to clearing :smile:
Original post by dhruvap
Give examples of NON-LIVING indicators of environmental change.

Devices that monitor these things

Carbon Dioxide levels
Light levels
Humidity levels
ect...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hafsa473
adv- helps with leprosy and morning sickness
disadv - can cause serious deformity in newborns

What was darwins theory? (4 marks)

individual organisms within a particular species may show a wide range of variation because of differences in their genes individuals with characteristics most suited to the environment are more likely to survive to breed successfully the genes that have enabled these individuals to survive are then passed on to the next generation.

What is adult cell cloning? (6 marks)
What is carbon sequestration? (This is an actual question i don't know)
Original post by JakeAntonyBrown
Carbon Dioxide levels
Light levels
Humidity levels
ect...

Nope... They use satellites, weather stations, rain gauges and dissolved oxygen meters... just remember instruments as non-living.
Reply 250
Wasn't Darwin's theory about the fact that random mutations happen within a species/ there is variation. Those better suited to the environment survive and thus pass on the genes/characteristics.
Hence, the term natural selection.
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
individual organisms within a particular speciesmay show a wide range of variation because ofdifferences in their genesindividuals with characteristics most suited to theenvironment are more likely to survive to breedsuccessfully the genes that have enabled these individuals tosurvive are then passed on to the next generation.

What is adult cell cloning? (6 marks)

Adult cell cloning is when takes a skin cell from one sheep (which usually has desirable characteristics) and an egg cell from another (this may be any sheep, its unimportant). The nucleus is removed from the egg cell and the nucleus from the skin cell is inserted instead. A small electric shock makes this cell start dicing by mitosis to form a zygote. It is then inserted into a surrogate mother who may have undesirable characteristics.

I'm pretty sure that comes in unit 3 Bio AQA... However it is capturing Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere and placing it somewhere else, E.g. Dissolving in water (sea)
explain to me the purpose of growing bacteria in agar jelly in a petri dish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, u lot r gonaa do so good tomorow :biggrin: The lot of you'z are so clever. :wink: Keep Calm & Ace Your Exams! :tongue:
Original post by dhruvap
I'm pretty sure that comes in unit 3 Bio AQA... However it is capturing Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere and placing it somewhere else, E.g. Dissolving in water (sea)

Wait you guys are told which unit is going to be in each exam?
(I do igcse but these questions were really useful and I have an exam tomorrow so I was just scraping in with all the revision :biggrin: )
Original post by Km99
Wasn't Darwin's theory about the fact that random mutations happen within a species/ there is variation. Those better suited to the environment survive and thus pass on the genes/characteristics.
Hence, the term natural selection.

Yes it was, but the answer that I commented on was a very well written, it did lack mutations however it was briefly stated ambiguously which I think would get you the mark and save you time.
Adult cell cloning is when takes a skin cell from one sheep (which usually has desirable characteristics) and an egg cell from another (this may be any sheep, its unimportant). The nucleus is removed from the egg cell and the nucleus from the skin cell is inserted instead. A small electric shock makes this cell start dicing by mitosis to form a zygote. It is then inserted into a surrogate mother who may have undesirable characteristics.

Great! :smile:
Original post by lilsadkitty
explain to me the purpose of growing bacteria in agar jelly in a petri dish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To see the different types of microorganisms in the selected medium.

Wait you guys are told which unit is going to be in each exam?

Yes, we have 3 units in AQA, BIO UNIT 1, BIO UNIT 2, BIO UNIT 3. All seperate exams.
Reply 259

I think this is when carbon dioxide is captured before it is released into the atmosphere, this could significantly reduce carbon dioxide levels, theoretically anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending