The Student Room Group

I have 2 questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by h333
1) personally yes. I find the English language so easy although it is not my first language.

2) I do not know really but my mum had told me that when she was in school everything was in farsi but things like maths and sciene were mostly the same as we learn here just different way of saying it eg algebra, sine, cosine etc

So what languages do you speak?

Can you choose to think in either of your languages?
Reply 41
Original post by ghajok45
So what languages do you speak?

Can you choose to think in either of your languages?

Well I speak pakhto/pashto at home with my parents. I understand farsi/dari and can speak it but when I do as I am not that used to it I feel nervous. I speak in English, understand and can speak most of Urdu too. But yeah these are the languages I mostly know to make conversations in.

Yes I can choose to think in either. What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh sweet, a lingual question for me. Ok I'm trilingual, well not really. I do speak 4 languages but am more suited in the 2. French and English. The interesting thing for me is that French was my mother tongue, but now I think solely in English thanks to moving here when I was quite young. Even when I speak french, I formulate the thoughts in English and then manually translate them into french.
Reply 43
Original post by h333
Well I speak pakhto/pashto at home with my parents. I understand farsi/dari and can speak it but when I do as I am not that used to it I feel nervous. I speak in English, understand and can speak most of Urdu too. But yeah these are the languages I mostly know to make conversations in.

Yes I can choose to think in either. What about you?

Just english....hence the question.
Reply 44
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Oh sweet, a lingual question for me. Ok I'm trilingual, well not really. I do speak 4 languages but am more suited in the 2. French and English. The interesting thing for me is that French was my mother tongue, but now I think solely in English thanks to moving here when I was quite young. Even when I speak french, I formulate the thoughts in English and then manually translate them into french.

But you can make yourself think in french, right?
Reply 45
Just english....hence the question.

Oh I see. :smile: would you have liked or would like to speak in another language too?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by h333
Oh I see. :smile: would you have liked or would like to speak in another language too?

Not at my age....it's much harder to learn languages after the age of 8

I remember studying 5 years of german, age 11-16, I can barely string a sentence together...mind you I got A* in that GCSE.
But you can make yourself think in french, right?

Just tried. I can't. My thoughts are in english for some reason. I can only think of swears and insults in french in my head, that's my limit, silent French insults :frown:
Reply 48
Just tried. I can't. My thoughts are in english for some reason. I can only think of swears and insults in french in my head, that's my limit, silent French insults :frown:

Lol, then I wouldn't class you as bilingual

But you must have stayed in france for a very short time, a couple of years in france at a young age can basically make you fluent....you got out fast :biggrin:
Reply 49
Not at my age....it's much harder to learn languages after the age of 8

I remember studying 5 years of german, age 11-16, I can barely string a sentence together...mind you I got A* in that GCSE.

Lol same with French for me. I was really good at it especially in writing but now I can hardly remember how to speak in basic. I think you can learn languages at any age yes it is much hader but if you stick to it...its possible.
Lol, then I wouldn't class you as bilingual

But you must have stayed in france for a very short time, a couple of years in france at a young age can basically make you fluent....you got out fast :biggrin:

Even though my parents are Belgian, I only stayed there till I was 5, so that could probably explain it. I want to risk asking my mum but as a english linguist on foreing lexical bullcrap, I would probaby would have to listen for a few hours
Reply 51
Even though my parents are Belgian, I only stayed there till I was 5, so that could probably explain it. I want to risk asking my mum but as a english linguist on foreing lexical bullcrap, I would probaby would have to listen for a few hours

So how come you can't speak french?

You're belgian, lived there for 5 years (critical language learning years as well) and have parents who can speak french?
So how come you can't speak french?

You're belgian, lived there for 5 years (critical language learning years as well) and have parents who can speak french?

Well as we moved there in a critical age of school, I quickly forgot French. My family also began to speak English at home and my younger siblings where born to an English speaking family. I could understand French but couldn't speak it. Had to relearn it entirely for iGCSE.
Reply 53
Bump
Reply 54
Well as we moved there in a critical age of school, I quickly forgot French. My family also began to speak English at home and my younger siblings where born to an English speaking family. I could understand French but couldn't speak it. Had to relearn it entirely for iGCSE.

I see, maybe since you kind of picked up hints of french when you were young, you have the potential to become very fluent in french?
Reply 55
Anyone else?
Reply 56
Original post by h333
Lol same with French for me. I was really good at it especially in writing but now I can hardly remember how to speak in basic. I think you can learn languages at any age yes it is much hader but if you stick to it...its possible.

Yeah I feel you only really know languages before the age of say 6, after that its pretty hard to pick anything up.
Reply 57
Bump...
Reply 58
Bump
Reply 59
Bump

Quick Reply