The Student Room Group

I had a heart attack AMA (almost)

I will give you a little background, I am 30 years old, I was a heavy smoker although I wasn't averse to exercise. There is a history of heart problems in my family but conversely a lot of longevity. If I do not reply to you it is probably because I do not want to answer that particular question. I would also appreciate any feedback that will help me. By the way I have given up smoking.
Thanx.
I'll have more qs but what did it feel like when it was happening? And how bad was it?
Well done on giving up smoking & I'm glad to hear you're okay. Stay strong. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'll have more qs but what did it feel like when it was happening? And how bad was it?

It is a good question, we all hear things about what it is like, I thought having a heart attack would be some dramatic clutching of the chest and a 'aaaaggghhh'. For me I thought it was heartburn, although a particularly nasty form, what made me call an ambulance was the pains in my arms, I must have been up and down for at least an hour before I made that decision to call for help.

I have spoken to other people (we do a rehabilitation course) who had different symptoms, I suppose if you have any worries phone 999.
Reply 4
Original post by Fiduciam
Well done on giving up smoking & I'm glad to hear you're okay. Stay strong. :biggrin:

Thanx, it was hardly a decision I needed to make, I did get the feeling that the Docs and Nurses were thinking 'Yeah!'. I would advise anyone who smokes to quit, it is not worth it.
Reply 5
Original post by dozyrosie
I will give you a little background, I am 30 years old, I was a heavy smoker although I wasn't averse to exercise. There is a history of heart problems in my family but conversely a lot of longevity. If I do not reply to you it is probably because I do not want to answer that particular question. I would also appreciate any feedback that will help me. By the way I have given up smoking.
Thanx.

The bit I've highlighted I honestly thought you were going to say something like "If I do not reply to you it is probably because something has happened to me". On topic though, exercise is the best solution, as well as a healthy balanced diet. Also staying away from anything that is not good for you.
Anyway I hope you are well and you don't experience any bad health.
Did you ever get seemingly random heart palpitations before?
I ask because I occasionally get these fluttery sensations and like every male on my mum's side of the family has died from a heart attack. I should go to the doctors but cba tbh
It is a good question, we all hear things about what it is like, I thought having a heart attack would be some dramatic clutching of the chest and a 'aaaaggghhh'. For me I thought it was heartburn, although a particularly nasty form, what made me call an ambulance was the pains in my arms, I must have been up and down for at least an hour before I made that decision to call for help.

I have spoken to other people (we do a rehabilitation course) who had different symptoms, I suppose if you have any worries phone 999.

Thanks, I am asking as I worry about this. Yeah I have heard that some people feel like it is heartburn, I have seen some stories online of people saying it feels like a child jumping on your chest, and a load of other symptoms.

How has it affected your life after? Are you fully recovered now?

No worries if you don't want to answer anything.
Reply 8
Original post by Zargabaath
Did you ever get seemingly random heart palpitations before?
I ask because I occasionally get these fluttery sensations and like every male on my mum's side of the family has died from a heart attack. I should go to the doctors but cba tbh

I would go if I were you, a few of the people on the rehab are there for just that reason, palpitations can be very dangerous, but like most medical conditions treatable. My heart attack was a blockage, I had an angioplasty, but palps may take you out in an instance (from what I have gathered). Please visit your doc.
Whats your day job?
I would go if I were you, a few of the people on the rehab are there for just that reason, palpitations can be very dangerous, but like most medical conditions treatable. My heart attack was a blockage, I had an angioplasty, but palps may take you out in an instance (from what I have gathered). Please visit your doc.

You're probably right tbh, no harm in getting a check up I suppose. By palps I mean that irregular, kinda fight-or-flight type feeling in your chest, that occur quite randomly and infrequently or if I'm stressed.
I'll make an appointment sometime this week while I'm off.
Cheers :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Wilfred Little
Thanks, I am asking as I worry about this. Yeah I have heard that some people feel like it is heartburn, I have seen some stories online of people saying it feels like a child jumping on your chest, and a load of other symptoms.

How has it affected your life after? Are you fully recovered now?

No worries if you don't want to answer anything.

Well the good news is I have had a complete lifestyle change, I was a little overweight my blood sugar levels were too high my blood pressure was high and so was my resting pulse rate, most of these things have normalised now.

It has slowed me down, I am far more cautious, I won't run for the bus and my sleeping patterns are irregular. I do feel a lot better, I had a bad year in 2015, it may just be coincidence, but I get the feeling my body was telling me something but I did not see the signs.
Reply 12
Original post by champ_mc99
Whats your day job?

I work for my dad, it is mostly clerical, a family business. I haven't returned yet, that is the least of my worries.
I work for my dad, it is mostly clerical, a family business. I haven't returned yet, that is the least of my worries.

Oh right. Thought it might have been work environmental influences too.
Reply 14
Oh right. Thought it might have been work environmental influences too.

I think for me it has been lifestyle and maybe genetic. My Nan had two but lived until she was 84, my grandad died at 52 of a HA.
I think for me it has been lifestyle and maybe genetic. My Nan had two but lived until she was 84, my grandad died at 52 of a HA.

Sorry for your loss.

Were they smokers?
Reply 16
Thanx.

Hope you are fine. I want to say great that you have quit smoking, great decision. And just eat healthy...fruits and vegetables in general. (Don't know entirely but heard that red cabbage improves heart health)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Sorry for your loss.

Were they smokers?

Yes, I never knew my grandad, he died when my dad was young. Nan packed in smoking after her first HA and lived for another 20 years.
Yes, I never knew my grandad, he died when my dad was young. Nan packed in smoking after her first HA and lived for another 20 years.

Hmmm. Might not be purely down to genes.

Quick Reply

Latest