The Student Room Group

Opinions on AQA AS Psychology Paper 1, 16 May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I felt so bad after that exam, I've been getting A grades consistently all year and then boom new wording, I mean they replaced "outline and evaluate" for "discuss" and what does "psychological research show" plus my timing was really bad and i had to rush the twelve markers:frown: I didn't even outline the studies or findings, just evaluated it. Goodbye A grade! Although i felt a bit better after seeing the unofficial mark scheme, i think i got about 40+ marks on the smaller questions combined but idk how many I'd give myself for the twelve markers and the one on the IWM. I'm just praying for a nice paper two, a generous examiner, and low grade boundaries. So hopefully a B:h:
Original post by Ihonestlydk
Procedural, semantic and episodic memories.
You didn't need case study as it was a context questions so you needed to use to examples in the context to match correctly with the different LTMs you was discussing about! :smile:

I'm so stupid because the question confused me!
I thought I had to apply all 3 types of LTM to one person from the case study .

So I applied all 3 to Annie.

I wrote an opening sentence "the three types of LTM are..."
Then I wrote about procedural and what it is
Semantic + episodic plus what it is
All in regards to Annie

Will I still get marks for my knowledge even though I applied all 3 to Annie?
Original post by Abirella
Does anyone know how much this counts for the final grade? is it 50% for unit 1 and 50% unit 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it's 50% each
The Grade you get this year will not count for next year as its a linear course so if you continue with psychology to A2 your grade will be scrapped.
Original post by drriversong
What did everyone get in the Romanian orphan MCQs?

I put A and B, but I wasn't sure between B and E
Original post by Amberhackett
I put A and B, but I wasn't sure between B and E

I put a + b as well
What did everyone write for the self report 3 marker?
Original post by danielle46
What did everyone write for the self report 3 marker?

That its where the participants tell the experimenter their thoughts and answers questions. Examples include interviews and questionnaires
Original post by orlaaaxx
the 12 marker question for attachment was something like "discuss the strange situation in assessing attachment types"
did we have to outline it in detail? or is it mainly evaluation ??

All i did was evaluate :frown:(( discuss clearly means strengths and weakness and therefore why would you get 6 AO1 for describing
Reply 428
So; I went through the paper picking and choosing which I felt comfortable answering first. 25-minutes to go and most-way through the last 12-marker I flicked through to see what I had left, saw just one question which I hadn't quite finished and did that. Then went back and finished the 12-marker.

10-minutes left and I do another flick through - realized I'd forgot about the Strange Situation 12-marker and Internal Working Model 6-marker....PANIC.

Wrote like a bat out of hell - invigilator kept telling me to 'stop writing' at the end.

In hindsight I feel answered all those that I did well, except self-report which I'm a bit iffy about. And I outlined the strange situation and evaluative points (I put in 5), forgot the findings though. But only probably scraped a couple of marks on internal working model. I feel sick because they weren't hard questions and perfectly answerable for me, I just screwed-up and the wording of the paper really threw me out of my stride too. I'm better on the second paper, so hoping to get near-enough full-marks there.

Those that feel deflated too - onnwards and upwards, let your worries for this exam spur you on, and come back stronger for the next. We can do this!!
Original post by rumanah1
All i did was evaluate :frown:(( discuss clearly means strengths and weakness and therefore why would you get 6 AO1 for describing

I gave an outline of the procedure, and then the findings and the 3 attachments types described those and then evaluated with 5 points and linked it to cultural variation. But didn't go into detail about the 8 episodes do u think I'll still get the marks???
Reply 430
What research method turns qualitative data into quantitative? Is that a report, or something else?
Reply 431
Confused about the "Outline psychological research of STM according to Multi-Store Model." - especially now reading the mark scheme.

I took that as research about STM that support MSM. It's why I went for serial position effect, because it shows the need for rehearsal within the STM (which is the only piece of research I knew-of that supported it). I did start writing about Peterson and Peterson to begin with, but crossed it out - because realized that was about duration, and duration isn't exclusive to MSM, as it doesn't support the concept of the model - just tells you about STM.

Now looking at the unofficial mark-scheme I'm confused - how do those studies relate to the MSM? To me they just show the STM duration, capacity and encoding...nothing about MSM? Please tell me my study won't be marked as wrong?

Anybody do the same? Do you think Serial Position effect research (Primacy and recency) is an acceptable piece of research?

Edit - I can kind of see why Peterson and Peterson, ect... would have been used, perhaps. I suppose it depends how you read that question - whether you read it as research on STM that supports the MSM, or research on STM as a single store (as seen in MSM)? Stupid stupid ambiguous sodding questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rajneetk
I'm so stupid because the question confused me!
I thought I had to apply all 3 types of LTM to one person from the case study .

So I applied all 3 to Annie.

I wrote an opening sentence "the three types of LTM are..."
Then I wrote about procedural and what it is
Semantic + episodic plus what it is
All in regards to Annie

Will I still get marks for my knowledge even though I applied all 3 to Annie?

Yes you will get marks because you stated the three types of LTMs and explained them.

If you explained all three LTMs in full detail then you will get the marks.

I believe it was 6 marks? Hopefully around 3 marks.
For the Strange Situation 12 marker did you not have to talk about the stages???

For A01 I wrote the aim of the study, the 8 stages, how Ainsworth was looking for 2x separation distress, stranger anxiety and reunion behaviour, and the attachment types she identified along with the behaviours each would likely show in the Strange Situation?

Then for A03 I made one evaluation point about the method, discussed Main & Soloman's Type D attachment and explained Kagan's critisism of the Strange Situation (too much empathsis on the role of the mother, not enough of temperament..). Is this alright?
Original post by Kefte
Confused about the "Outline psychological research of STM according to Multi-Store Model." - especially now reading the mark scheme.

I took that as research about STM that support MSM. It's why I went for serial position effect, because it shows the need for rehearsal within the STM. I did start writing about Peterson and Peterson to begin with, but crossed it out - because realized that was about duration, and duration isn't exclusive to MSM....

Now looking at the unofficial mark-scheme I'm confused - how do those studies relate to the MSM? To me they just show the STM duration, capacity and encoding...nothing about MSM?

Anybody do the same? Do you think Serial Position effect research (Primacy and recency) is an acceptable piece of research?

Mark scheme link?
Reply 435
Which page is the unofficial mark scheme on?:smile:
Reply 436
Original post by Ihonestlydk
Mark scheme link?

Sorry, should have said "unofficial mark scheme" - the link on the first page of this thread.
Original post by Kefte

I took that as research about STM that support MSM. It's why I went for serial position effect, because it shows the need for rehearsal within the STM (which is the only piece of research I knew-of that supported it). I did start writing about Peterson and Peterson to begin with, but crossed it out - because realized that was about duration, and duration isn't exclusive to MSM, as it doesn't support the concept of the model - just tells you about STM.

Now looking at the unofficial mark-scheme I'm confused - how do those studies relate to the MSM? To me they just show the STM duration, capacity and encoding...nothing about MSM? Please tell me my study won't be marked as wrong?

Edit - I can kind of see why Peterson and Peterson, ect... would have been used, perhaps. I suppose it depends how you read that question - whether you read it as research on STM that supports the MSM, or research on STM as a single store (as seen in MSM)? Stupid stupid ambiguous sodding questions.

I did this also, just described the serial position effect
Reply 438
Original post by ashieG
Which page is the unofficial mark scheme on?:smile:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rrt2HqUeC1J-vqARIaUC4wdiucHdvnWouza-4uY3FUc/edit#heading=h.gfn9nqlkeb1b

There's also a prediction on grade boundaries on the unofficial MS - 54 for an A. Which despite my royal screw-ups, I think I may have scraped, or at least not be far-off.
Original post by Kefte
Sorry, should have said "unofficial mark scheme" - the link on the first page of this thread.

You know the question " Outline psychological research of STM according to Multi-Store Model."

Did you actually have to write about Duration, encoding and capacity? I started talking about evaluation points for the Multi-Store Model that would have linked to the STM. For example:

Brain scanning techniques were used to demonstrate the differences between STM and LTM. For example Beardsley who found that the prefrontal cortex was active during STM but not LTM task. (Evaluation on the MSM topic)

Another evaluation is that STM comes before LTM. Ruchkin asked participants to learn a set of real words and pseudo words- words designed to sound like real words but have no meaning. He found that if real words and pseudo words were involved in just STM then activity will be the same for both conditions. This suggest that STM is just part of LTM. (Again an evaluation point on the MSM topic)

Would I lose marks?

Quick Reply

Latest