The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by violetvictorious
Don't know if that's wise :frown: do you have tips for memorising 2/2.5 sided essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

try using acronyms! So for each essay, jot down the researchers you used and then create an acronym for them, then when you remember that acronym your memory should be jogged for the rest of the essay! Theories are just something you kind of have to learn haha
Don't know if that's wise :frown: do you have tips for memorising 2/2.5 sided essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just write the perfect essay then keep reading it and rewriting it to memorise them. I also record them to listen to.

I have a good memory, and acronyms do not work for me.

That's up to you, but I would as for me revising is the priority
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Quick question for some, how many essays are people learning per essay question? For example for something such as sleep and disrupting bio rhythms, how many core A01/A02 studies will you be using in order to ensure top marks.

My essays vary but usually 3+ with plenty of methodology criticisms and strengths
Original post by tobeobi
Will circadian infradian and ultradian rhythms be questioned together or can each one come up as an individual 24 marker?

Most likely if one was to be on it would be individuate since you cant really group all three as one just because theres too much content together which isnt really linked if that makes sense? You could get ultra and circadian as part of outline nature of sleep which would be required to do both life cycle and add in circadian and ultra radian.
Original post by franpavis
My essays vary but usually 3+ with plenty of methodology criticisms and strengths

Thats what im aiming for with atleast 3 main studies and if i can to add a few names as part of evaluation.
How many points are you including for evaluation 6?

Problem is timing as well since you want to learn as much as possible but making sure you can write this in the space of 20 mins. Which on a side note is ridiculous how AQA think its a reasonable time since it comes down to a memory test in which its who can write the most, as opposed to a good exam paper...
Thats what im aiming for with atleast 3 main studies and if i can to add a few names as part of evaluation.
How many points are you including for evaluation 6?

Problem is timing as well since you want to learn as much as possible but making sure you can write this in the space of 20 mins. Which on a side note is ridiculous how AQA think its a reasonable time since it comes down to a memory test in which its who can write the most, as opposed to a good exam paper...

Yeah around that, i mean my really basic structured essays have 2 big studied (e.g. Bandura for aggression) then 3 criticisms and 2 IDA points, however some of my essays that are less structured have more researchers and less criticisms. But an overall balance of 10-12 points is my aim, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont think acronyms are practical in the sense as someone else has suggested, who most likely had the idea from loopa. I use this but the problem is its only there as a trigger and in order to trigger something it needs to be embedded properly, loopa revised for months with nothing else and practiced hundreds of times, i think for a level student practically unless youre really really dedicated many wont really dedicate 6+ months to psychology.

Its mainly done around now since its a case of memory.
Anyway the way i do it reading the essay several times and rewriting it out several times in paragraphs almost like chunking, this way youre not panicking when you see a full side of a4 where it only has 3 large paragraphs
as apposed to looking at 6 paragraphs.
When you do learn it what happens which is really good, is the only things you really learn later is theory and research eval points become second nature later, and its only names you add in.
Original post by franpavis
Yeah around that, i mean my really basic structured essays have 2 big studied (e.g. Bandura for aggression) then 3 criticisms and 2 IDA points, however some of my essays that are less structured have more researchers and less criticisms. But an overall balance of 10-12 points is my aim, how about you?

For mine im doing bio rhythms and its around 10 points give or take with around 3-4 core stuides and the rest being eval points. I think this is enough because its unlikely youll get 24 in an actual exam so writing extra things wont necessarily equate to more marks. Since examiners do have depth and breadth trade off, so its much better to write 2 sides of an essay that is well answered then 4 with lots of quantity that may only gain an extra mark or two, whilst also taking much longer to write.
For mine im doing bio rhythms and its around 10 points give or take with around 3-4 core stuides and the rest being eval points. I think this is enough because its unlikely youll get 24 in an actual exam so writing extra things wont necessarily equate to more marks. Since examiners do have depth and breadth trade off, so its much better to write 2 sides of an essay that is well answered then 4 with lots of quantity that may only gain an extra mark or two, whilst also taking much longer to write.

yeah i totally agree! chances are some of them will be 12's or 4's anyway, so focus of AO1 content is also important so i've been looking more at that recently as my AO2 is fine.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! For aggression, I am getting so mixed up with the essays: evolutionary explanations for group displays and evolutionary explanations for infidelity and jealousy.
Are convergence and emergent norm theory evolutionary? The textbook has a page on group display but does not say evolutionary yet has a separate page for evolutionary but not on GROUP display..........
so would these points be relevant for the essay?

fml
does anyone have model essays on sleep?
Right, I have a question for anyone doing the Relationships unit.

Can you use either Reward/Need Satisfaction theory or Social Exchange Theory for the breakdown of relationships? because there is no chance I am going to be able to remember Duck and Rollie's model of relationship breakdown. It will be so much easier if I can just apply one of the others.
Reply 612
Those two are very different, if you read an essay online on each topic, you will understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChloeElizabeth01
Right, I have a question for anyone doing the Relationships unit.

Can you use either Reward/Need Satisfaction theory or Social Exchange Theory for the breakdown of relationships? because there is no chance I am going to be able to remember Duck and Rollie's model of relationship breakdown. It will be so much easier if I can just apply one of the others.

You mean Duck and lee? It isnt that hard to remember because most of this section is linked and similar i wouldnt advise skipping that because its a basically the entire essay off the 5 stage model. I feel it makes cognitive sense and is easy to understand? What do you find hard about learning it.

The other 2 dont explain how a relationship actually breakdown thats more to do with why we are in a relationship in the first place.
Just did a timed essay and "finished" it in 23 mins and i felt i missed off a few points with only around 8 points of studies and eval and 3 paragraphs of a01. The studies are a02 since i used key words such as "this supports" "this refutes" etc. Anyone else done time essays and felt really rushed and hard to fit everything?
Just did a timed essay and "finished" it in 23 mins and i felt i missed off a few points with only around 8 points of studies and eval and 3 paragraphs of a01. The studies are a02 since i used key words such as "this supports" "this refutes" etc. Anyone else done time essays and felt really rushed and hard to fit everything?

I think everyone aiming for high grades finds it very difficult to fit everything in in the time allowed
Original post by A-LJLB
I think everyone aiming for high grades finds it very difficult to fit everything in in the time allowed

Youd think so but some in my class who are on As can just about manage to fit everything in the 20 mins. Its not even a case of me thinking i did that for around a minute throughout so around 19 mins of pure writing yet it still isnt enough.
Youd think so but some in my class who are on As can just about manage to fit everything in the 20 mins. Its not even a case of me thinking i did that for around a minute throughout so around 19 mins of pure writing yet it still isnt enough.

Well rest assured I also struggle :P some people write a lot less, whereas I write a lot

Is this for unit 3 or unit 4? How comes you're only allowing yourself 23 mins per essay :s-smilie:
Original post by Bekah22
Is this for unit 3 or unit 4? How comes you're only allowing yourself 23 mins per essay :s-smilie:

Oh my bad hahaha i thought i only had 20 mins but realized its 1h30 mins so you get 30 mins per essay.... I actually could have finished in 30 mins.

Latest

Trending

Trending