The Student Room Group

Quick question quick answer

Find dx
dy

y = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys surds ?

Yes I know these aren't surds, inb4 so smart@ss says it. Thanks for the help, will loiter to pay it forward.
Reply 1
Original post by HanSoloLuck
Find dx
dy

y = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys surds ?

Yes I know these aren't surds, inb4 so smart@ss says it. Thanks for the help, will loiter to pay it forward.

What's the issue? It's a simple case of differentiating each term carefully by using the rule that differentiating ax^n gives anx^(n-1).
Reply 2
Firstly I think you mean dy/dx

and secondly like the person above me said what's the issue ?

dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4
Reply 3
Original post by Shoot
Firstly I think you mean dy/dx

and secondly like the person above me said what's the issue ?

dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4

Nope, i don't get it. I know it's something incredibly dumb that I'm missing, but, I can no brain that at the moment.
Reply 4
Nope, i don't get it. I know it's something incredibly dumb that I'm missing, but, I can no brain that at the moment.

Saying "i don't get it" is extremely useless. What particular bit don't you get? What's the issue? What have you tried?
Reply 5

Don't worry man I got you on this,

basically what I did was the differentiation rule ( you can take all the values out separately if it makes it easier for you to understand)

So the f(x) = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

So you have the value of 2X^3, - 3X^2 , 4X and - 6

Now what you basically do is times the indices to the coefficient

so in this case I did 2 x 3, 3 x 2 and 4 x 1 ( I ignore the 6 as it doesn't have a variable and isn't a coefficient )

Then once I do that I subtract the indices by -1 so the ^3 becomes ^2, the ^2 (on 3X) becomes ^1 (so just X) and the X is removed from the 4X as it was basically (4X^1)

So my answer then is dy/dx = dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Saying "i don't get it" is extremely useless. What particular bit don't you get? What's the issue? What have you tried?

I like your enthusiasm to want to help, it's a little creepy but kinda nice. Didn't realize what it was asking me/was trying to do something else entirely without realizing.

Original post by Shoot
Don't worry man I got you on this,

basically what I did was the differentiation rule ( you can take all the values out separately if it makes it easier for you to understand)

So the f(x) = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

So you have the value of 2X^3, - 3X^2 , 4X and - 6

Now what you basically do is times the indices to the coefficient

so in this case I did 2 x 3, 3 x 2 and 4 x 1 ( I ignore the 6 as it doesn't have a variable and isn't a coefficient )

Then once I do that I subtract the indices by -1 so the ^3 becomes ^2, the ^2 (on 3X) becomes ^1 (so just X) and the X is removed from the 4X as it was basically (4X^1)

So my answer then is dy/dx = dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4

Yep thanks, simple to do, as said above, I was trying to do something else entirely. I'll bring my crayons to the exam I guess, wont even use them to draw, just jam them up my nose........ over tired.

Quick Reply

Latest