The Student Room Group

Opinions on AQA AS Psychology Paper 1, 16 May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by Kefte
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Rrt2HqUeC1J-vqARIaUC4wdiucHdvnWouza-4uY3FUc/edit#heading=h.gfn9nqlkeb1b

There's also a prediction on grade boundaries on the unofficial MS - 54 for an A. Which despite my royal screw-ups, I think I may have scraped, or at least not be far-off.

Thank you!
I'm sure you did great!
Original post by danielle46
For the Strange Situation 12 marker did you not have to talk about the stages???

For A01 I wrote the aim of the study, the 8 stages, how Ainsworth was looking for 2x separation distress, stranger anxiety and reunion behaviour, and the attachment types she identified along with the behaviours each would likely show in the Strange Situation?

Then for A03 I made one evaluation point about the method, discussed Main & Soloman's Type D attachment and explained Kagan's critisism of the Strange Situation (too much empathsis on the role of the mother, not enough of temperament..). Is this alright?

Yeah I think that's fine :smile: you will probably get all 12 marks
Original post by danielle46
For the Strange Situation 12 marker did you not have to talk about the stages???

For A01 I wrote the aim of the study, the 8 stages, how Ainsworth was looking for 2x separation distress, stranger anxiety and reunion behaviour, and the attachment types she identified along with the behaviours each would likely show in the Strange Situation?

Then for A03 I made one evaluation point about the method, discussed Main & Soloman's Type D attachment and explained Kagan's critisism of the Strange Situation (too much empathsis on the role of the mother, not enough of temperament..). Is this alright?

I legit did the exact same!!! I could only remember Main and Solomons evaluation points because he put forward a fourth attachment- insecure- disorganised (Type D) and explained it and explained Ainsworth procedure!!

I hope we get the marks :frown: I think we might get around 8/12 or 9/12 (If we're lucky :wink: )
guys, does anyone know if these exams are counted by uni's? I guessing they are as otherwise how would we get conditional offers next Jan/Feb..:s-smilie:
Original post by lucasbaker
We've finished it now, just doing to aesthetic clean ups :smile:

This is amazing guys :woo: Well done :biggrin:
Well done yesterday everyone :yay: I've added a link to the completed unofficial markscheme in the first post of this thread, and included a poll so you can share how you think you did.

Thank you to everyone who collaborated on setting up the markscheme :dumbells: It was really awesome to see everyone working together like that! :biggrin: I wish it had been a thing when I was doing my exams :lol:

Spoiler

Reply 446
Original post by firecatz
guys, does anyone know if these exams are counted by uni's? I guessing they are as otherwise how would we get conditional offers next Jan/Feb..:s-smilie:

UCAS are adapting the way these new a-levels work. I think this is the predicted grade you get for UCAS to apply to university.
Original post by firecatz

Yep they are. The uni you apply to will collectively look at your GCSE grades, your AS grades, your personal statement, interviews and any other extra tests collectively. Unis also have a minimum requirement for your A level grades which will be predicted depending on your AS grades.
Original post by Rachyray
I felt so bad after that exam, I've been getting A grades consistently all year and then boom new wording, I mean they replaced "outline and evaluate" for "discuss" and what does "psychological research show" plus my timing was really bad and i had to rush the twelve markers:frown: I didn't even outline the studies or findings, just evaluated it. Goodbye A grade! Although i felt a bit better after seeing the unofficial mark scheme, i think i got about 40+ marks on the smaller questions combined but idk how many I'd give myself for the twelve markers and the one on the IWM. I'm just praying for a nice paper two, a generous examiner, and low grade boundaries. So hopefully a B:h:

If you get a high B in paper one and an A in paper two what would that average out to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kefte
So; I went through the paper picking and choosing which I felt comfortable answering first. 25-minutes to go and most-way through the last 12-marker I flicked through to see what I had left, saw just one question which I hadn't quite finished and did that. Then went back and finished the 12-marker.

10-minutes left and I do another flick through - realized I'd forgot about the Strange Situation 12-marker and Internal Working Model 6-marker....PANIC.

Wrote like a bat out of hell - invigilator kept telling me to 'stop writing' at the end.

In hindsight I feel answered all those that I did well, except self-report which I'm a bit iffy about. And I outlined the strange situation and evaluative points (I put in 5), forgot the findings though. But only probably scraped a couple of marks on internal working model. I feel sick because they weren't hard questions and perfectly answerable for me, I just screwed-up and the wording of the paper really threw me out of my stride too. I'm better on the second paper, so hoping to get near-enough full-marks there.

Those that feel deflated too - onnwards and upwards, let your worries for this exam spur you on, and come back stronger for the next. We can do this!!

We need more positive people in the world like you :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
Original post by mali473
If you get a high B in paper one and an A in paper two what would that average out to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Possibly an A, if the A is a moderate or high A.
Original post by Drunq
Possibly an A, if the A is a moderate or high A.

So there's still hope for me to get an A if I don't flop on paper two :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 452
Original post by mali473
So there's still hope for me to get an A if I don't flop on paper two :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

quite right !
I'm going to be one of those people and say that I think the people online that are making it out to be as bad as Edexcel Maths last year are being really over dramatic :s-smilie: if you revised key studies & concepts the paper was okay, it was just the Working Memory (For some reason I thought it was types of LTM, at first I thought it was the WMM but I thought it would have said "Discuss the WMM" ) question that seemed to get people stuck.
The Strange Situation & Asch questions were AMAZING in my opinion, exactly what I understood most :smile:

I've looked through the unofficial mark scheme and looking at it I think I have a very high B, possible a low/mid A, and it's so so so much better than the D I got in my mock, so happy! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Well done yesterday everyone :yay: I've added a link to the completed unofficial markscheme in the first post of this thread, and included a poll so you can share how you think you did.

Thank you to everyone who collaborated on setting up the markscheme :dumbells: It was really awesome to see everyone working together like that! :biggrin: I wish it had been a thing when I was doing my exams :lol:

Spoiler

Thanks! It really was amazing to see it build. Hopefully we'll all come together for Paper 2 next week too! :smile:
Hey guys for the STM question (4marks) I did not really mention any other researches beside Baddeley and Hitch but stated all the features will I get full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abirella
Hey guys for the STM question (4marks) I did not really mention any other researches beside Baddeley and Hitch but stated all the features will I get full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people said that they stated about encoding, duration and capacity. However I did the opposite and stated the evaluation points for the MSM that linked to STM.

Baddeley and Hitch did the working memory model however it does link to the STM saying that its not one store but a number of different stores.

However it asked mostly about STM and MSM so I don't know if you'll gain any marks, max 1 mark but I'm not sure. :smile:
Reply 457
Can someone advise me on what mark I would get for the WMM questions for putting this: explained the CE, forgot to evaluate it with Bravers evidence..explained the phonological loop and Visio-spatial sketch pad and evaluated them with Baddleys's dual task performance and Shallice and Warrington KF as support for the WMM. Stupidly, I then started talking about STM and Petersons+Petersons study and evaluated that!! ☹️ I was about to explain the Episodic Buffer but ran out of time, simply said that it was added to the model by Baddley in 2000 :/ I'm guessing I would have gotten 7 or 8 out of 12 on that?? Opinions?
Original post by littz
Can someone advise me on what mark I would get for the WMM questions for putting this: explained the CE, forgot to evaluate it with Bravers evidence..explained the phonological loop and Visio-spatial sketch pad and evaluated them with Baddleys's dual task performance and Shallice and Warrington KF as support for the WMM. Stupidly, I then started talking about STM and Petersons+Petersons study and evaluated that!! ☹️ I was about to explain the Episodic Buffer but ran out of time, simply said that it was added to the model by Baddley in 2000 :/ I'm guessing I would have gotten 7 or 8 out of 12 on that?? Opinions?

I would say 7/8/9 :smile:
At least you didn't talk about types of LTM like I did (absolute nightmare!)
Reply 459
Original post by JessThomas6
I would say 7/8/9 :smile:
At least you didn't talk about types of LTM like I did (absolute nightmare!)

That's pretty unfortunate :frown: But I knew it all which is why I'm beating myself up about it, I knew I should've explained the Episodic Buffer but as I was about to I ran out of time 🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending