The Student Room Group

AQA Classical Civilisation - Cicero and Iliad

Hey so I'm doing Cicero and the Iliad and I just thought starting a thread on these might be useful to get extra notes and tips!

We haven't been told much about structuring the 20 and 30 markers so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah

Scroll to see replies

Original post by H4nn4h_R
Hey so I'm doing Cicero and the Iliad and I just thought starting a thread on these might be useful to get extra notes and tips!

We haven't been told much about structuring the 20 and 30 markers so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated!

Hannah

Hi! I moved this to the Classics forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile: you might also want to have a look around the Classics forum in general to see if there's any more discussion about this exam :h:
Hi Hannah,

The most important thing to do when it comes to the 20 and 30 mark questions is to structure your answers rather than doing one of two options which I see too often: a) the student writes whatever pops into their head at that moment or b) the student has a good point, but then tells me about the plot of the Iliad for another ten lines!

I would say planning an answer is essential and try to have a go at as many past paper questions as you can under timed conditions and get them marked so you can get a feel for what it's like to write that much in 90 minutes and also whether you're writing the sorts of things that the examiner wants to see and in a suitable style.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Classics_Teacher
Hi Hannah,

The most important thing to do when it comes to the 20 and 30 mark questions is to structure your answers rather than doing one of two options which I see too often: a) the student writes whatever pops into their head at that moment or b) the student has a good point, but then tells me about the plot of the Iliad for another ten lines!

I would say planning an answer is essential and try to have a go at as many past paper questions as you can under timed conditions and get them marked so you can get a feel for what it's like to write that much in 90 minutes and also whether you're writing the sorts of things that the examiner wants to see and in a suitable style.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!

In terms of structuring arguments and counter arguments, what would you suggest? Do you give a point that supports your overall answer and then in the same paragraph offer a counter argument related to the same topic or instead do paragraphs for support and then paragraphs for against?
I'm doing Cicero and The Odyssey! I'm so nervous! :biggrin: How are you revising Cicero? Any ideas on what might come up?
Reply 5
Original post by josaltzman
I'm doing Cicero and The Odyssey! I'm so nervous! :biggrin: How are you revising Cicero? Any ideas on what might come up?

Ah cool! I've made a timeline and I'm just going over that a lot and matching it up with the letters. How are you revising it?
And I have absolutely no idea! Last year's paper looked horrible so hopefully it's better that that :')
Ah cool! I've made a timeline and I'm just going over that a lot and matching it up with the letters. How are you revising it?
And I have absolutely no idea! Last year's paper looked horrible so hopefully it's better that that :':wink:

I've made a timeline and looked at the letters, and at the moment I'm going through and picking out times where he sided with or against Pompey and Caesar, and when he was for or against his morals, and also making some notes on his family as that seems to come up every now and again!

I really love Classics so I'm hoping the exam goes well. No idea what to expect though! I always find the 10 markers quite difficult to get top marks on :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by josaltzman
I've made a timeline and looked at the letters, and at the moment I'm going through and picking out times where he sided with or against Pompey and Caesar, and when he was for or against his morals, and also making some notes on his family as that seems to come up every now and again!

I really love Classics so I'm hoping the exam goes well. No idea what to expect though! I always find the 10 markers quite difficult to get top marks on :biggrin:

Yeah I love it too! With the 10 markers we've been told to just aim for 5 points for like the literary techniques ones or 3 or 4 well developed ones for the historic based ones. Best of luck with it though! :biggrin:
Yeah I love it too! With the 10 markers we've been told to just aim for 5 points for like the literary techniques ones or 3 or 4 well developed ones for the historic based ones. Best of luck with it though! :biggrin:

Thanks, you too!!
I'm doing the Cicero and Iliad exams too!
I'm struggling with Cicero 10 markers a bit and was wondering if anyone has any predictions about what will be on the paper?
Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by emilykelly1998
I'm doing the Cicero and Iliad exams too!
I'm struggling with Cicero 10 markers a bit and was wondering if anyone has any predictions about what will be on the paper?
Thanks!

hey! I was looking through the last 3 years of papers and nothing has come up on Caesar directly so I'm thinking (and hoping) that there'll be a question on his relationship with Caesar and how it changes? And just civil war based stuff i think but tbh i have no idea
hey! I was looking through the last 3 years of papers and nothing has come up on Caesar directly so I'm thinking (and hoping) that there'll be a question on his relationship with Caesar and how it changes? And just civil war based stuff i think but tbh i have no idea

Thanks! That would be so good :smile: good luck for Monday!!!
Reply 12
Thanks! That would be so good :smile: good luck for Monday!!!

You too!
Does anybody know what date In Rullum is? We've been told both 64BC and 63BC so I'm a bit confused :')

Thanks!
Original post by misssophie_r
Does anybody know what date In Rullum is? We've been told both 64BC and 63BC so I'm a bit confused :':wink:

Thanks!

It's definitely 63BC :smile:
It's definitely 63BC :smile:

Okay thank you! Good luck tomorrow :smile:
Does anyone do CIV1D women in the life of Greek and Rome? Do you have notes on neaera by any chance.. I struggle with that source

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone explain Pro Cornelio to me? I get that Cicero was defending a Tribune but don't know why this is important/what it shows?
Thanks!
How did you all find the paper? I chose the Cilicia and Consulship/Civil War question and thought it went okay, and then I chose family which I was super happy for! I'm hoping it all went well. I did run out of time though, but I usually run out of time in like every exam anyway 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone explain Pro Cornelio to me? I get that Cicero was defending a Tribune but don't know why this is important/what it shows?
Thanks!

We never learnt about it, so I wouldn't worry! I know this is a late reply, but I don't think it needed mentioning at all in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending