The Student Room Group

New edexcel alevel history - Democracies in Change

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey, again once again feedback appreciated... tried to take on a couple of those ideas. Tell me if it's any better or if there's still more to improve on in areas. I know own knowledge still ain't too strong.

1463080604694.jpg1463080676718.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 100rosie100
Hey, just wondering whether anyone has any tips for the technique of the Thatcher essay? Starting to panic... a lot! Thank you

Unfortuately I personally don't have many tips for these, as we did it really rushed as my teacher was off ill etc and my year have just gone on study leave today...
It's really just the same as an essay like before, but with extracts in it I find!

I did one a couple of weeks ago that I got back today (I got 15/20, so I can share if you want?) and my structure was similar to the normal essays;
Introduction (including stating generally what the extracts say with one short quote)
Then a point, including what extract you find most convicing along with a quote, and then supporting that with own knowledge,
then I used the other extract to say why some may disagree with my point, using a quote from the other extract etc, then going back to my point in saying that my argument is more convincing. I'm not sure how to put into words exactly what I mean but I tried aha.
Then a conclusion where I summed everything up, and used one final quote.

Some key sentences we've been suggested to use are;

'My argument is more convicing...'
'Extract X fails to address...'
'Extract X emphasises this point...'
'Extract X does not consider that...'

and make sure you never say an extract is wrong!!

I'm not sure if this has been much help, it's just what my teacher has been contineously saying every single lesson...

Original post by hogree
Hey, again once again feedback appreciated... tried to take on a couple of those ideas. Tell me if it's any better or if there's still more to improve on in areas. I know own knowledge still ain't too strong.

1463080604694.jpg1463080676718.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you're getting there! I'd say, for example where you've put;

'therefore, although holiday camps contibuted to the rise in opportunities, they were only able to have extensive influences because of changing working conditions.' I'd suggest to put 'because changing working conditions, for example having paid holidays allowed individuals to partake in these opportunities (maybe say what these are slightly) as they had the time off to do so.' or something along the lines of that, as then you're supporting your judgement...

Obviously I'm not an expert aha but I hope that helps!
Thank you, that has helped a lot. Please could you share your answer :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 100rosie100
Thank you, that has helped a lot. Please could you share your answer :biggrin:

Here you go :smile:

I've also put my assessment sheet thing which has a couple of comments.
Original post by Unwrittenstars
Here you go :smile:

I've also put my assessment sheet thing which has a couple of comments.

Thank you, good luck for Wednesday :ta:
Has anyone got any predictions for the british paper? I'm feeling NHS ??
Reply 66
Original post by Missdarcy1
yo guys,
I am doing this exam too with Britain on Wed,
I've made notes for every theme of Britain ( a loooooot of A4 paper )
Written a few timed essays in 40 mins using an essay plan beside me.
How is everyone learning all the knowledge?
there is so much to memorise and I try read over my notes but get so bored, I have three full days to revise before the exam.
Currently working at a B level, with good knowledge but my analysis brings me down.
Any tips or anything?

Sticking up facts on the wall has helped me. Put it in a place where you often sit so you can look at the cards a lot. That really helps.

As for analysis, I find it useful to always mention a challenge against other "arguments" in every paragraph. Something like "However, despite this..., its effect is limited / it actually is a result of my factor"

@Unwrittenstars: You are a hero; thank you very much for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Reckon there'll be one question about Women. Gut feeling.
Hi lads. Sadly I'm such a procrastinator and haven't really done tonnes of revision. Whoopsie. Any tips on last minute cramming especially for history as there is so much to get through? :frown:
Reply 69
Original post by ellefrancessa
Hi lads. Sadly I'm such a procrastinator and haven't really done tonnes of revision. Whoopsie. Any tips on last minute cramming especially for history as there is so much to get through? :frown:

Suggest going through the textbook and sticking up facts on the wall. Also good to try and teach someone each topic to clear up whether you know everything.

Just wondering, has anyone watched any good relevant videos on Thatcher? Would like to watch one but don't want to waste time on a useless one..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aj2152
Is this for our History USA topics? Could you send the link please as well on here. Thanks

I would LOVE to read through your notes!

@ : [email protected]

Original post by hogree
Done my notes from Chp 1 & 2 (so far) in audio form - which I can send through to anyone, if anyone wants a listen. Don't blame me if some of it sounds like rambling, because it is lol

Please can you send them my way if you don't mind?!
Reply 72
Any ideas on structure for Thatcher?
At the moment thinking:
Intro
Para 1 - Analyse Source 1, Evaluate with own knowledge
Para 2 - Analyse Source 2, Evaluate with own knowledge
Para 3 - Related Factor to Support Argument
Conclusion

Any other thoughts? Really a bit dodgy on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hogree- i've been told NOT to structure Thatcher like that. A strong answer will talk about sources 1 and 2 together in each paragraph
E.g 'statement for idea in question' back up with evidence from source 1 and 2
Then a statement against with evidence from 1and 2
Dependent on the nature of the sources you may find your answer is more in favour one way and another but give counter argument with evidence from sources 1 and 2.

So for example

Para 1 - FOR question discussing both sources
Para 2- AGAINST question discussing both sources
Then 3/4 - either for and against or both for or both against dependent on source
Then conclusion
This got me a high B grade with linking my own knowledge in to boost me to an A xx
Reply 74
Hogree- i've been told NOT to structure Thatcher like that. A strong answer will talk about sources 1 and 2 together in each paragraph
E.g 'statement for idea in question' back up with evidence from source 1 and 2
Then a statement against with evidence from 1and 2
Dependent on the nature of the sources you may find your answer is more in favour one way and another but give counter argument with evidence from sources 1 and 2.

So for example

Para 1 - FOR question discussing both sources
Para 2- AGAINST question discussing both sources
Then 3/4 - either for and against or both for or both against dependent on source
Then conclusion
This got me a high B grade with linking my own knowledge in to boost me to an A xx

Cheers that does help a lot. Thinking though, what happens if, as happens often, you get two sources that have completely contrasting perspectives. How would you integrate both their views in a paragraph, if they're so contrasting? Wouldn't it be better to compare them, and validate each of their perspectives separately?

Not sure, just thinking
Original post by hogree
Cheers that does help a lot. Thinking though, what happens if, as happens often, you get two sources that have completely contrasting perspectives. How would you integrate both their views in a paragraph, if they're so contrasting? Wouldn't it be better to compare them, and validate each of their perspectives separately?

Not sure, just thinking

I've been told they will have similarities and differences? The ones i've done in class all have. I don't think you can get into Band 4 without integrating them. The questions all about comparing the sources so they won't give us completely opposite things? They might be 2 different views but as far as you can integrate them do it! Xx
https://getrevising.co.uk/members/ellsholmes

Revision cards and notes on Britain I've made! You need an account to acsess them but site is free! I haven't done all topics yet but will be adding over day. PDF and printable :smile:
Reply 77
I've been told they will have similarities and differences? The ones i've done in class all have. I don't think you can get into Band 4 without integrating them. The questions all about comparing the sources so they won't give us completely opposite things? They might be 2 different views but as far as you can integrate them do it! Xx

Fair enough. I mean, just thinking of an example here of a question - you might have done this in class or as a mock - it's off the Sample Assessment Materials. The sources are just completely different and I'm not sure whether anyone would be able to show me an example of a good answer to it.
Attachment not found

History1.JPG
Original post by aj2152
Hi I'm doing this same course too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oi, go revise. Don't upset Ms Howard tomorrow
Original post by Soffle123
Please can you send them my way if you don't mind?!

Me to pleasee

Quick Reply

Latest