The Student Room Group

I'm 23 and my councillor just told me she thinks I may have mild aspergers.

Realistically, I'm not mad, or confused, or upset. It makes sense, and would explain why school was such a horrible experience for me.

Aspergers is positive. It can be harnessed to produce amazing things.

It's an unofficial diagnosis, but it's good enough for me, and quite a cathartic experience actually.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

well use it to your advantage, you are what you produce. dont let others put you down.
Original post by JPO92
Realistically, I'm not mad, or confused, or upset. It makes sense, and would explain why school was such a horrible experience for me.

Aspergers is positive. It can be harnessed to produce amazing things.

It's an unofficial diagnosis, but it's good enough for me, and quite a cathartic experience actually.

what are you doing in life at the moment may i ask??
I very much hope it was in fact your counsellor. If your councillor is making psychological diagnoses, tell her to bugger off and attend to potholes or street-lighting.
Reply 4
Original post by lascelles101
what are you doing in life at the moment may i ask??

I have gone back to College so that I can then go onto University. I will be studying History and Philosophy come next October if all goes according to plan.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
I very much hope it was in fact your counsellor. If your councillor is making psychological diagnoses, tell her to bugger off and attend to potholes or street-lighting.

Haha, a mere spelling error. Apologies.
Reply 6
A counsellor is not fully equipped to diagnose as such so if you're looking for an official diagnosis, you should ask to be referred to the correct services by your GP.

Good luck for uni!
Original post by JPO92
I have gone back to College so that I can then go onto University. I will be studying History and Philosophy come next October if all goes according to plan.

that it excellent, whatever happens do not let it put you down... i did not go school till i was 7 and i was a looked after child with ADHD... i managed to get 8 A's, you can do the same, just work at it
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
A counsellor is not fully equipped to diagnose as such so if you're looking for an official diagnosis, you should ask to be referred to the correct services by your GP.

Good luck for uni!

I am not looking for an official diagnosis. I do not want medication.
Reply 9
Original post by JPO92

I'm not on medication and I have a couple of mental health diagnosis. Medication is not always the answer: I've tried it and it didn't work.
Original post by JPO92

you may not need medication, all you may need is souncilling and access arrangments in sch
Reply 11
Original post by Airmed
I'm not on medication and I have a couple of mental health diagnosis. Medication is not always the answer: I've tried it and it didn't work.

The thought of official diagnoses scares me. The west views and assumes a diagnosis needs a cure. Aspergers does not need to be cured, it needs to be understood.
Original post by JPO92
The thought of official diagnoses scares me. The west views and assumes a diagnosis needs a cure. Aspergers does not need to be cured, it needs to be understood.

you say "the west", may i ask where you r from then??
you are the master of your body, you can tell them NO
Reply 13
Original post by JPO92

Not all people think like that. My mental health nurse just wants me to be more happy, rather than chucking cures at me.

And I know what you mean.
Reply 14
you say "the west", may i ask where you r from then??
you are the master of your body, you can tell them NO

I am from the west. However, I am exposed regularly to Chinese philosophy on health and wellbeing.
oh i understand. you know about inner strength and the aura. also about ying/yang??

Original post by JPO92
I am from the west. However, I am exposed regularly to Chinese philosophy on health and wellbeing.
Reply 16
Original post by Airmed
Not all people think like that. My mental health nurse just wants me to be more happy, rather than chucking cures at me.

And I know what you mean.

I think that is fantastic news. I think you've been very lucky with who you've managed to get hold of. I would take a sceptical, rather than optimistic view, on the perspectives of healthcare professionals. I would make the educated assumption that the larger portion of them are likely to take a "defect needs a cures" philosophy to Aspergers.
Reply 17
oh i understand. you know about inner strength and the aura. also about ying/yang??

I know of these things loosely yes. My mother and sister have taken a great liking to those philosophies, and naturally these have trickled down to me in bits.
oh ok, are you of chinise heritige,

Original post by JPO92
I know of these things loosely yes. My mother and sister have taken a great liking to those philosophies, and naturally these have trickled down to me in bits.
Reply 19
Original post by JPO92
I think that is fantastic news. I think you've been very lucky with who you've managed to get hold of. I would take a sceptical, rather than optimistic view, on the perspectives of healthcare professionals. I would make the educated assumption that the larger portion of them are likely to take a "defect needs a cures" philosophy to Aspergers.

I think for Aspergers it's more of a how to manage it approach. I guess I am lucky but I still struggle horribly.

Quick Reply

Latest