The Student Room Group

I'm 23 and my councillor just told me she thinks I may have mild aspergers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lascelles101
oh ok, are you of chinise heritige,

No. I'm Spanish and English. Spanglish!
Original post by JPO92
No. I'm Spanish and English. Spanglish!

nice im jamaican and irish. are u m/f?
Reply 22
Original post by Airmed
I think for Aspergers it's more of a how to manage it approach. I guess I am lucky but I still struggle horribly.

Agreed. I think managing is very important.

It will be a struggle whilst people don't understand and accomodate. It won't always be like that though. You will and are making amazing progress all the time. I have no doubt about that.
Reply 23
nice im jamaican and irish. are u m/f?

Male. Why do you ask? haha
oh i was just wondering, your subject choice is a steryotypicaly male dominated field

Original post by JPO92
Male. Why do you ask? haha
Reply 25
oh i was just wondering, your subject choice is a steryotypicaly male dominated field

I did not know that!
yes history is male dominated naturally and philosphy is also due to its historical nature

Original post by JPO92
I did not know that!
Reply 27
yes history is male dominated naturally and philosphy is also due to its historical nature

There you go then. I am a living, walking stereotype! haha
Original post by JPO92

LOOOL, do not worry, so am i . i want to go into the army and be a solicitor
Original post by JPO92

where r u going to go uni??
Original post by JPO92
I am not looking for an official diagnosis. I do not want medication.

Not all things have medical treatment, my dyspraxia has nothing apart from seeing an occupational therapist (and there's not much help for dyslexia either) but from an educational stand point you could access support like extra time and a mentor with an official aspergers diagnosis which could be very beneficial.
Original post by JPO92
I am not looking for an official diagnosis. I do not want medication.

there's no medication for Aspergers
Reply 32
where r u going to go uni??

York
Reply 33
Original post by Tiger Rag

Here's some I found in 10 seconds:

For hyperactivity, inattention and impulsivity: Psychostimulants (methyphenidate, dextroamphetamine, metamphetamine), clonidine, Tricyclic Antidepressants (desipramine, nortriptyline), Strattera (atomoxetine)

For irritability and aggression: Mood Stabilizers (valproate, carbamazepine, lithium), Beta Blockers (nadolol, propranolol), clonidine, naltrexone, Neuroleptics (risperidone, olanzapine, quetiapine, ziprasidone, haloperidol)

For preoccupations, rituals and compulsions: SSRIs (fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, paroxetine), Tricyclic Antidepressants (clomipramine)

For anxiety: SSRIs (sertraline, fluoxetine), Tricyclic Antidepressants (imipramine, clomipramine, nortriptyline)

Reply 34
Original post by claireestelle
Not all things have medical treatment, my dyspraxia has nothing apart from seeing an occupational therapist (and there's not much help for dyslexia either) but from an educational stand point you could access support like extra time and a mentor with an official aspergers diagnosis which could be very beneficial.

I know, and believe me, I could utilise extra time in an exam very effectively, but I feel stupid pushing the issue and scared of what the professionals may try to force on me.
Original post by Tiger Rag

wrong there is however its a amalgamation
Original post by JPO92
York

oh nice, r u going to do a post grad aswell??
wrong there is however its a amalgamation

It's not wrong. Unless both my GP and psych are both wrong?
Reply 38
oh nice, r u going to do a post grad aswell??

Maybe, if I'm any good. I don't even know that I will be.

Got to try University out before I make any decisions that far ahead. Would possibly like to be a teacher though. I'm not sure at this stage.
Original post by JPO92
Maybe, if I'm any good. I don't even know that I will be.
Got to try University out before I make any decisions that far ahead. Would possibly like to be a teacher though. I'm not sure at this stage.

thats a rewarding job

Quick Reply

Latest