The Student Room Group

EdExcel -- A2 -- Drama & Theatre Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helenalikesyou
Hi!

The group performance in A2 is devised. So your teacher should give you a stimulus and then you create your own original piece of theatre from that. You then have to write a 3,500 Written Supporting Evidence document explaining your devised piece:smile:

The unit is a lot of hard work but it's sooo much fun and very rewarding once you know what you're doing (and if you've got a good drama teacher) lol xx

Oh, ok thanks, it doesn't sound that bad....apart from the Written Supporting Evidence :biggrin:
How strict are they on marks? I've gone over most of my coursework, not by much but still :frown:
and I'm really worried as everyone in my drama class WPC is shorter then mine, yet they have 500 words.

Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Hey :smile: year 13 is a lot harder than year 12 but it's a lot of fun in my opinion. As someone previously said its a devised group piece with a stimulus your teacher gives you (though we found our own one). It is very fun.
How come you performed your group piece and monologue months apart? Just curious as everyone I know and me performed it on the same night?

You found your own?

The same night? Was your drama class really small or something?
IDK it is just the way my college does it, we have group performance in March and monologues in May.
There was three drama groups performing and they were like 45-50 minutes each.

Thanks for the reply! :biggrin:
Original post by Pix2015
Oh, ok thanks, it doesn't sound that bad....apart from the Written Supporting Evidence :biggrin:
How strict are they on marks? I've gone over most of my coursework, not by much but still :frown:
and I'm really worried as everyone in my drama class WPC is shorter then mine, yet they have 500 words.

You found your own?

IDK it is just the way my college does it, we have group performance in March and monologues in May.

Yeah but I think it depends on on your school/college. We did the Syrian refugee crisis and took our stimulus from the poem Home by Warsan Shire.
Ah okay that sounds cool I didn't know that was allowed! Yeah there's only 9 of us in our drama group, so last year there were 3 monologues and 3 duologues, and we did one group performance we were all in :smile:
Original post by Pix2015

You found your own?

Honestly, the Written Supporting Evidence is fine! The EdExcel specification has a list of questions for you to use in your SWED, so I just worked from that! My teacher also didn't give my group a stimulus, so if your teacher doesn't give you one, I would definitely suggest your group finding one yourselves, before you start devising!

As for marks, it's your drama teacher that marks this unit, then it get's externally moderated! In Year 12, you get an examiner to grade your performance whereas in Year 13, your teacher marks your performance and coursework! So it really depends on what your teacher is like, but just make sure to do all the corrections and suggestions they give you, as they are the ones you're trying to please!

and don't worry about your WPC... I think you're allowed to go 10% over the word count but i'm not entirely sure, so don't take my word for it!

Don't stress about it, I'm sure you've done fine! My Year 12 coursework wasn't even marked or checked before it was submitted (due to problems with the drama department) and I still managed to achieve an alright grade! Good luck with your monologue:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Honestly, the Written Supporting Evidence is fine! The EdExcel specification has a list of questions for you to use in your SWED, so I just worked from that! My teacher also didn't give my group a stimulus, so if your teacher doesn't give you one, I would definitely suggest your group finding one yourselves, before you start devising!

As for marks, it's your drama teacher that marks this unit, then it get's externally moderated! In Year 12, you get an examiner to grade your performance whereas in Year 13, your teacher marks your performance and coursework! So it really depends on what your teacher is like, but just make sure to do all the corrections and suggestions they give you, as they are the ones you're trying to please!

and don't worry about your WPC... I think you're allowed to go 10% over the word count but i'm not entirely sure, so don't take my word for it!

Don't stress about it, I'm sure you've done fine! My Year 12 coursework wasn't even marked or checked before it was submitted (due to problems with the drama department) and I still managed to achieve an alright grade! Good luck with your monologue:smile:

Oh, thanks that makes me feel better!

Hope your right about the ten percent!

Thank You! My exam is on the 26th, and our drama teacher has been of sick for the last 2 weeks and won't be in for our exam, which was why I was worried about our drama coursework deadline. We have the other drama teacher trying to help us so hopefully I will do fine!

When is your exam? Good Luck :smile:
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
Yeah but I think it depends on on your school/college. We did the Syrian refugee crisis and took our stimulus from the poem Home by Warsan Shire.
Ah okay that sounds cool I didn't know that was allowed! Yeah there's only 9 of us in our drama group, so last year there were 3 monologues and 3 duologues, and we did one group performance we were all in :smile:

Oh that's a small group. Probably why you did it at the same time.
We have two drama groups, ours has seven and the other one has over 20 people :biggrin:

So can you take your stimulus from anything?

Good luck for your exam (if you haven't had it yet) :smile:
Original post by Pix2015
Oh, thanks that makes me feel better!

Hope your right about the ten percent!

Thank You! My exam is on the 26th, and our drama teacher has been of sick for the last 2 weeks and won't be in for our exam, which was why I was worried about our drama coursework deadline. We have the other drama teacher trying to help us so hopefully I will do fine!

When is your exam? Good Luck :smile:

That's okay!

Ah that sucks... The sort of same thing happened to me in Year 12 but along with many other things lol

That's good you have another drama teacher to help you, I genuinely think you'll be fine:smile:))

I had my devised group piece a few weeks ago, but my written exam is on the 20th of June! and thanks:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pizzaaapls
I'm studying woyzeck and im so so lost about like 90% of the section b questions so if you have any tips or ideas i would really appreciate that!

What are you struggling with in particular? Structure? What to include? Ideas?
hey guys, does anyone have any timing plans/suggestions for each section of the exam?

Like suggested timings for Section A, B and C?

THANKUUU
hey guys, does anyone have any timing plans/suggestions for each section of the exam?

Like suggested timings for Section A, B and C?

THANKUUU

what are you doing for the exam, as in texts and performance?x
Original post by ellieacraig
Section C 55 minutes
Section B 55 minutes
Section A 40 minutes

sweet, thankyou!

also, our 1,000 words for Section C is allowed to be printed? I'm pretty sure there's no requirements for it to be hand written, but I read somewhere we can't bring in 'printed materials'. Not sure if that just means materials like theatre reviews or our actual 1,000 words?
what are you doing for the exam, as in texts and performance?x

'Lysistrata' and 'As You Like It!'

and you? x
ooh an I'm doing Woyzeck and Macbeth!
I think it means you can't bring in any external printed things. You're allowed to bring in printed 1000 words for performance. We were told to send it to our teacher so he could check before, then he would print it and give it to us.

Idk about you, but i find C and B easy, but A the hardest bit tbf

Ah yeah, that would make sense, it would seem ridiculous to hand write it - I think I'm just being paranoid about this whole exam:frown:

And yeah, Section A is the hardest. I'm bricking it for all of it tbh, just hope they give us nice questions:')

and aah nice, would love to do Macbeth. Really wish I was studying 'Doctor Faustus' instead!
I saw Doctor Faustus at the RSC and it was amazing. The version of Macbeth I saw was very modern, had allusions to middle east so is perfect for comparison. Woyzeck is amazing too!

Last year questions were so nice!
Section A is a bitch

I figured, if i get 20/30 and 25/30 and then even no marks on Section A, thats still a B in the exam!x

Ooh nice! I'm seeing Doctor Faustus in London as soon as exams are over, so excited:')

and yeah same with 'As You Like It', it was expressionist and very modern; I'm just worried about my writing technique...i've never had the opportunity for my past papers to be marked, because of the lack of teachers for drama loool

Ah that's pretty good actually! I did pretty well in Unit 3 this year, but because of all this **** that happened in year 12, I have to get a high B/low A in this exam to get a B overall! So I'm kind of nervous hahaha x
Doesn't the London production have Kit Harrington in it?

I can look at one for you if you like, I've had a few teachers mark over 20 essays of mine and they've all had fairly good marks (apart from the earl ones)

How do you know how you did in Unit 3? x

It does indeed, which is a bonus:') It'll be interesting to see his portrayal of Faustus:-)

and aaw thankyou for offering! We could send eachother essay plans for Section C because that's a question we're all going to have to do?:')

and a drama teacher/examiner who was helping us for a couple of months, told us her final judgements for unit three... but obviously the marks can change as it depends on what the moderator thought... so I THINK i've still done well for unit three:wink: ahahah, fingers crossed
Reply 35
Original post by Olivia Chester
I need help!! Mainly with section B to be honest, but no-one in our class has any idea at all what we're doing!

My Lysistrata interpretation is set in no particular time or place, to demonstrate that the message of the play is universal. I know I have to write about the different elements and mention similarities/differences to OPC and links to Greek theatre etc. but I am so confused of how to get good marks!

I have a 9 step formula that can get you top marks if you want me to share it with you?i do it in order and get about 24 marks :smile:
Hey I am studying Woyzeck and As you like it for the exam and was wondering if anyone had rehearsal techniques (Section A) that are scene specific and any notes on As you like it. I also need to work out what I need to get a B overall and have no idea how to do that, any ideas? Thanks :smile:
Original post by joeywych
I have a 9 step formula that can get you top marks if you want me to share it with you?i do it in order and get about 24 marks :smile:

Will that apply to different texts aswell e.g. Woyzeck? If yes then can you share it with me as well?
Original post by joeywych

Please could you share it with me as well? If you need help with anything else then feel free to ask
It does indeed, which is a bonus:':wink: It'll be interesting to see his portrayal of Faustus:-)

and aaw thankyou for offering! We could send eachother essay plans for Section C because that's a question we're all going to have to do?:':wink:

and a drama teacher/examiner who was helping us for a couple of months, told us her final judgements for unit three... but obviously the marks can change as it depends on what the moderator thought... so I THINK i've still done well for unit three:wink: ahahah, fingers crossed

yes definitely, gals gotta help each other out!
Aw congrats that wicked! our teacher wouldn't tell us, he just said that i would be happy with my grade but thats so ambiguous!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending