The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BBeyond
The max part is but not the min?

I haven't done the question, just looked at it. I will do it later on today and let you know what I have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me right now running away from all my M3 problems.

I'm f***ed :argh:
Is it just an application of F<= Fmax
Original post by J.M.Keynes
Hey guys I don't understand question 3b june 14 R: https://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3e1889c8e66b2.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWENTbktxdlk5dEU/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

The examiners report says that the inequality is: tension <= frictional force + weight force down plane. But surely if tension is less that the two forces, it will keep on sliding down the plane?

The frictional force is variable, up until fr=frmax. So it's at equilibrium where the component of the weight plus the frictional force equals the tension.
With vertical elastic strings, how do I determine the direction of the acceleration? If the particle is pulled down from its equilibrium position, is the acceleration then downwards? And vice versa, if it is pulled up from its equilibrium position is the acceleration upwards?
Original post by paradoxequation
With vertical elastic strings, how do I determine the direction of the acceleration? If the particle is pulled down from its equilibrium position, is the acceleration then downwards? And vice versa, if it is pulled up from its equilibrium position is the acceleration upwards?

x (dot dot) = -w^2x

Acceleration is always in the opposite direction to displacement, that's the condition for SHM.
Does anyone else think the international papers are much harder than the normal ones?
Original post by harry734
Does anyone else think the international papers are much harder than the normal ones?

Definitely, they're good for preparation though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403

Me right now running away from all my M3 problems.

I'm f***ed :argh:

You'll be fine :biggrin:

By fine I mean 100 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euclidean
You'll be fine :biggrin:

By fine I mean 100 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks bro I wish :frown: Some of these COM questions with the wacky moments/geometry are just killing me :lol:
Thanks bro I wish :frown: Some of these COM questions with the wacky moments/geometry are just killing me :lol:

I'm leaving any of that kind of question to the end if it comes up haha

Yeah the moments is potentially what could finish me, when the weight has two component moments about the axis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
I'm leaving any of that kind of question to the end if it comes up haha

Yeah the moments is potentially what could finish me, when the weight has two component moments about the axis...

Posted from TSR Mobile

All we can do is hope! Are you guys UK or IAL?
Definitely, they're good for preparation though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, just making sure it's not just me haha
What is happening in the second step in the attached solution? Question is 2b from Jan 2011. Where are they getting lambda/(7+lambda) from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh do people take two moments. Hm i just extend the line of weight and find the perpendicular distance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do the exercises from the book!
Is this fine doing this
Q2 aimage.jpgJune 15 IAL. I set x increasing away from earth so force is negative and a=-g.
Original post by paradoxequation
What is happening in the second step in the attached solution? Question is 2b from Jan 2011. Where are they getting lambda/(7+lambda) from?

I posted a solution to this yesterday let me find the post

there u go

on the first line of working the cos30 is cut out for some reason but it should say cos30 after the brackets
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BBeyond
I posted a solution to this yesterday let me find the post

there u go

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending