The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Here you go.

Thanks!
I can't believe this exam is tomorrow, feels just like a mock or something, huh...

I think FP3 is a super hard unit but the papers get extremely easy over time when you know what you're doing because each paper has extremely similar questions.
Original post by Emi1998
how do you tell the difference between

y= Acosnx + Bsinnx for the complementary function from dy^2/dx^2 +n^2y

and y= Ae^-nx +Be^nx.

If you have
dy^2/dx^2 +n^2y , this will give k^2= +/- ni , so because it isn't real is it y=Acosx + Bsinx

dy^2/dx^2 -n^2y this will give k^2= n^2, so because it is real, is it y= Ae^(nx) +Be^(-nx)

Is this correct

This is correct. You if you have complex roots to the auxiliary equation then you could write the complementary function as ygs=Ae(a+bi)x+Be(abi)x y_{gs} = \text{A}e^{(a+bi)x} + \text{B}e^{(a-bi)x} but if you use the fact that eix0cosx+isinx e^{ix} 0 \cos x + i\sin x you will see that the conplementary function simplifies down to y=eax(Acosbx+Bsinbx) y= e^{ax}( \text{A} \cos bx + \text{B} \sin bx) .
[Note. The arbitrary constants, A and B in the first and second complementary function I gave are not necessarily the same.]
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone got any tips for avoiding silly mistakes? It seems as though that's where I'm loosing most of my marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil
Has anyone got any tips for avoiding silly mistakes? It seems as though that's where I'm loosing most of my marks :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practice, even so you will still make them, but fewer :smile:
If a 2nd order DE is set equal to a polynomial such as 3x + 4, is the trial function supposed to be ax + b or ax^2 + bx + c?
If a 2nd order DE is set equal to a polynomial such as 3x + 4, is the trial function supposed to be ax + b or ax^2 + bx + c?

Former.
Hey guys, any predictions regarding the paper? I've found 2014 No8 quite weird any other tricky questions to look at?

Though you can try ax^2 +bx +c to be sure but you will see coeficient of x^2 will be 0 so a will be 0
Can someone give me a link for those legacy papers with polar coordinates
2014 q8 b(ii) i dont understand the mark scheme? Diagram anyone?
Original post by XxswagmasterxX
Hey guys, any predictions regarding the paper? I've found 2014 No8 quite weird any other tricky questions to look at?

Im stuck on that question, any help?

Depends. If there is no term in y, say you have
d2ydx2+3dydx=12x+16 \displaystyle \frac{\text{d}^2y}{\text{d}x^2} + 3\frac{\text{d}y}{\text{d}x} = 12x+16 ,
a trial function of px+q px+q would not work in this case.
Reply 233
Original post by misslili118
Im stuck on that question, any help?

I just done that question but it's a bit messy image.jpg lol if u can even read that
Original post by Hjyu1
I just done that question but it's a bit messy image.jpg lol if u can even read that
how did u get the sin(pi --(pi/6 +a)) part I don't understand
Reply 235

It's a triangle so all the angles add up to 180 degrees so pi radians and u already know 2 angles which are pi/6 and Alpa so you take them away from pi to get your missing angle then do sine rule
never mind just understood it
Original post by Hjyu1
It's a triangle so all the angles add up to 180 degrees so pi radians and u already know 2 angles which are pi/6 and Alpa so you take them away from pi to get your missing angle then do sine rule
why can't you just use alpha and 1 with pi/6 and root21 /9 for the sin rule
What is the perfect answer for the question asking about why it is an improper integral? Are they picky on the language you use for those answers?
Original post by B_9710
Depends. If there is no term in y, say you have
d2ydx2+3dydx=12x+16 \displaystyle \frac{\text{d}^2y}{\text{d}x^2} + 3\frac{\text{d}y}{\text{d}x} = 12x+16 ,
a trial function of px+q px+q would not work in this case.

Would it be best just to use a trial function with a degree of n+1 if the DE is set equal to a polynomial of nth degree just to be safe?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending