The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Good luck everyone
Reply 141
What might come up
How did everyone find it? I thought it went ok...could have gone better but some of the wording was shocking!! This is precisely why I despise OCR!
The first 2 6 markers went ok ish, possibly 4 marks but the last one was dead easy so hopefully I've got 6 for it. Idk...I'm just hoping I've hit 45 marks to guarantee an A* as I've never seen it lower than that *fingers crossed*
I did not get the first page
Original post by NiamhM1801
How did everyone find it? I thought it went ok...could have gone better but some of the wording was shocking!! This is precisely why I despise OCR!
The first 2 6 markers went ok ish, possibly 4 marks but the last one was dead easy so hopefully I've got 6 for it. Idk...I'm just hoping I've hit 45 marks to guarantee an A* as I've never seen it lower than that *fingers crossed*

Where was the wording weird?
Original post by thomas-cowley

where it said new medicines are used to "treat" healthy patient as part of the drug trial. they don't actually treat them.

The twins 6 marker I particularly didn't like, there were others too but I can't really remember what they were...
Original post by powerman77
where it said new medicines are used to "treat" healthy patient as part of the drug trial. they don't actually treat them.

What is it then? To evaluate the drug's side-effects and thus its safety?

Oh god did it say treat??? I ticked true...damn
The twins 6 marker I particularly didn't like, there were others too but I can't really remember what they were...

Oh OK, yeah I do agre. What did you write about? I went down the route of how your phenotype is affected by environmental and genetic factors, and therefore the scientists can evaluate how the env. affects their phenotype.
Reply 150
Where it said "treat", did they expect you to understand it as it actually treats them, or used on them as tests? I thought it meant that it was used as tests because the main body text was something about treating different groups of people? Just seemed a bit strange...
What is it then? To evaluate the drug's side-effects and thus its safety?

Oh god did it say treat??? I ticked true...damn

I ticked true as well. I think that was what OCR expected us to tick, but the way they worded it wasn't entirely right. On the specification it says "recall that human trials may be carried out on healthy volunteers to test for safety", so what Thomas said.
I ticked true as well. I think that was what OCR expected us to tick, but the way they worded it wasn't entirely right. On the specification it says "recall that human trials may be carried out on healthy volunteers to test for safety", so what Thomas said.

Ah OK! I find these papers more of a guessing game with OCR trying to trick us!
What did everyone put for the last question on the page with a graph about antigens and antibodies?
Reply 154
Found the identical twins 6 marker particularly difficult - what was the question even trying to ask?

Also is anyone confident enough to release an unofficial mark scheme for the exam?
(edited 7 years ago)
What will the grade boundaries be?
Did you guys put natural selection for the last six marker?
What did people say for the question about the chances of dying if you are infected with ebola? 3/4 chance
Reply 158

Okay, I ticked true - phew! Hopefully it's right and not OCR being vague.
For the 1st 6 marker I just wrote about how environment causes identical twins to look different so scientists can use the cases where twins are separated at birth to see how the environment plays a role?

Then I went on to talk about how it's morally wrong too deliberately separate twins at birth for this purpose, so plants are used? It was in the textbook, but I wasn't sure about the lines I was going down in terms of "issues".
Ah OK! I find these papers more of a guessing game with OCR trying to trick us!

yeah, that's why I hate OCR Biology. It's often just a hit or miss when it comes to some of the questions they ask :frown:

Oh OK, yeah I do agre. What did you write about? I went down the route of how your phenotype is affected by environmental and genetic factors, and therefore the scientists can evaluate how the env. affects their phenotype.

I wrote what you wrote - only environmental factors change their characteristics, so scientists can use them for study. I also wrote that the experiments may be justified as long as they consent and the study benefits a large number of people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending