The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunburnt_note
Was this in relation to the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeal? I heard from the Supreme Court yesterday but yet to hear anything from the Court of Appeal. Surely they can't have shortlisted so quickly?!

Am I right in thinking that to apply to the SC you had to have already completed pupillage?
Original post by Bob boblaw
Am I right in thinking that to apply to the SC you had to have already completed pupillage?

Yes but I'm currently a pupil. I just check on these forums in case someone's badly in need of advice and I happen to be qualified to give it :h:
Original post by pupillageseeker1
yep

Interesting, I have not heard anything yet. Do you have an interview date soonish? (Feel free to PM if necessary)

Anyone been rejected so far?
Original post by sunburnt_note
Was this in relation to the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeal? I heard from the Supreme Court yesterday but yet to hear anything from the Court of Appeal. Surely they can't have shortlisted so quickly?!

I thought Supreme Court JA was open to qualified lawyers…….was I mistaken?

Ignore the above….just read your response to similar question. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Re JA post for CA

I've heard nothing either. Status says "Submitted", that's all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wannabeebar
Another Q re gateway - will we be notified via email when/if our status changes to first interview or do we just need to keep checking the site? Thanks!

Please reject the temptation to keep checking, it'll only drive you crazy. It's my 3rd time applying; I do it every year and the constant refreshing drives me crazy every year! Same goes for this thread, lol.

As someone said, Chambers will always email you if you've been shortlisted and if you haven't made the cut, there's always next year. I believe the gateways opens again in January 2017, so you get another go in just a few months. :smile:
Has anyone heard from Charter for the 2016 Pupillage? Deadline was nearly 4 weeks ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I'm massively confused about this whole thing as it's my first time applying for pupillage so I would appreciate some advice! I haven't received any emails (apart from the confirmations I got from the pupillage gateway each time I sent off an application), and the status for my applications just says 'applied'. Does this mean anything...? Will the status on the gateway change when they consider/reject my applications? Or will I get an email, or silence? So confused!
Original post by pizzaprincess
Hey guys, I'm massively confused about this whole thing as it's my first time applying for pupillage so I would appreciate some advice! I haven't received any emails (apart from the confirmations I got from the pupillage gateway each time I sent off an application), and the status for my applications just says 'applied'. Does this mean anything...? Will the status on the gateway change when they consider/reject my applications? Or will I get an email, or silence? So confused!

As I have said. Presume you won't get any interviews until it's says interview and you get an email/letter/phone call.

Not all chambers will inform you and rejection by silence may ensue.
Original post by Barr23
Please reject the temptation to keep checking, it'll only drive you crazy. It's my 3rd time applying; I do it every year and the constant refreshing drives me crazy every year! Same goes for this thread, lol.

As someone said, Chambers will always email you if you've been shortlisted and if you haven't made the cut, there's always next year. I believe the gateways opens again in January 2017, so you get another go in just a few months. :smile:

I agree it can drive you crazy. However, I add the caveat to this advice that some Chambers send letters rather than emails; so if you're away from your correspondence address, checking Gateway (and TSR) can be helpful.
I have not applied this year, but will be doing so in January. I've been following this helpful thread trying to get as many hints and tips as possible.

One major question: where can I find a comprehensive list of ALL chambers offering pupillage? The Bar Council doesn't seem to have one, I know not everyone has to use the Gateway, but I do know they all have to advertise for a minimum 2 week period on the Gateway. But if you miss seeing the ad, what then? I've been through this thread noting some new names, but can anyone point at a comprehensive list please? Thanks!
Original post by Tiny92
As I have said. Presume you won't get any interviews until it's says interview and you get an email/letter/phone call.

Not all chambers will inform you and rejection by silence may ensue.

Got to say, as a doubtless naive future barrister, if a chambers is so f***ing rude as not to reply at all, knowing all the work a prospective pupil puts in to an application, I'm not sure I would want to work there anyway. The Bar is supposed to be, compared with many professions, still in some way an honourable place. A sense of decency should mean a reply. No excuse given it takes 10 minutes to bulk send an email...

OK, now you're all laughing...
Original post by pjs736_student
Got to say, as a doubtless naive future barrister, if a chambers is so f***ing rude as not to reply at all, knowing all the work a prospective pupil puts in to an application, I'm not sure I would want to work there anyway. The Bar is supposed to be, compared with many professions, still in some way an honourable place. A sense of decency should mean a reply. No excuse given it takes 10 minutes to bulk send an email...

OK, now you're all laughing...

Unfortunately it isn't that way. But some solicitors are the same.
I have not applied this year, but will be doing so in January. I've been following this helpful thread trying to get as many hints and tips as possible.

One major question: where can I find a comprehensive list of ALL chambers offering pupillage? The Bar Council doesn't seem to have one, I know not everyone has to use the Gateway, but I do know they all have to advertise for a minimum 2 week period on the Gateway. But if you miss seeing the ad, what then? I've been through this thread noting some new names, but can anyone point at a comprehensive list please? Thanks!

www.indx.co.uk/pupilbase/ This site has everything you need to know.

Sadly not all chambers advertise on the gateway. I found out this morning that 1 Hare court had pupillage vacancy which closed on Sunday! I would have loved to apply, but it was not on the the gateway.

In addition to looking on index, I would suggest you shortlist the chambers you really want to go to and keep an eye on their websites. You can use the pupillage handbook and chambers and partners to help you.
Original post by db00117
www.indx.co.uk/pupilbase/ This site has everything you need to know.

Really great website, BUT as a health warning people please please DO NOT get caught up in the 'out of reach', 'in your zone', 'aim higher' sectioning

Apparently I only have 2 chambers 'in your zone' but I got a reserve place for one of the 'out of reach' last year. It's interesting of course but don't let it stress you out, we all go crazy enough this time of year without that!
Original post by Hopefully1234
Really great website, BUT as a health warning people please please DO NOT get caught up in the 'out of reach', 'in your zone', 'aim higher' sectioning

Apparently I only have 2 chambers 'in your zone' but I got a reserve place for one of the 'out of reach' last year. It's interesting of course but don't let it stress you out, we all go crazy enough this time of year without that!

For sure. The best thing is to select 'Oxbridge' from the menu whatever uni you went to- you'll be shown all the options then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Barr23
Sadly not all chambers advertise on the gateway. I found out this morning that 1 Hare court had pupillage vacancy which closed on Sunday! I would have loved to apply, but it was not on the the gateway.

In addition to looking on index, I would suggest you shortlist the chambers you really want to go to and keep an eye on their websites. You can use the pupillage handbook and chambers and partners to help you.

I made a spreadsheet of all the places I considered applying to, including deadlines, PG or non-PG, additional notes, etc. I know it sounds incredibly nerdy, but it helped me keep on top of all of the non-PG deadlines and helped me sort out my options for PG as well.

I'd second Chambers and Partners as well. It was my go-to -- don't just look at the area that most interests you.. you can get a feel for areas of law that generally go together and then see what sets do similar things (e.g. if you're interested in clinical negligence, also look at sets that are ranked for personal injury, as they'll likely do clin neg but may not be ranked in it).
Original post by wannabeebar
I made a spreadsheet of all the places I considered applying to, including deadlines, PG or non-PG, additional notes, etc. I know it sounds incredibly nerdy, but it helped me keep on top of all of the non-PG deadlines and helped me sort out my options for PG as well.

I'd second Chambers and Partners as well. It was my go-to -- don't just look at the area that most interests you.. you can get a feel for areas of law that generally go together and then see what sets do similar things (e.g. if you're interested in clinical negligence, also look at sets that are ranked for personal injury, as they'll likely do clin neg but may not be ranked in it).

That is rather clever. I suspect the spreadsheet will make it easier to track non-PG acceptance and rejections too. I will be adopting this method…thanks!
Original post by Barr23
That is rather clever. I suspect the spreadsheet will make it easier to track non-PG acceptance and rejections too. I will be adopting this method…thanks!

All previous poster's suggestions are very helpful. Thank you. But why the hell can the Bar Council simply not make a published list of all chambers who are eligible (since I believe there are certain criteria to fulfil) to offer pupillage. Then we would all know we hadn't missed a potential opportunity. As the saying goes, it really cannot be rocket science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending