The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by kit1234
For the brain and spinal cord question, which one was faster?

The spinal cord, the time was 1.6 milliseconds
Original post by kit1234
For the brain and spinal cord question, which one was faster?

Brain :yep: spinal cord was 1.6 metres per millisecond (or something like that) while the brain was 3.
Reply 122
Original post by thecomputernerd
spinal cord is faster

No it isn't it's slower
Original post by ammara-123
The percentage of people that died from malaria??

Posted from TSR Mobile

0.66666666667%. Or just 0.6%
Original post by lilyflowerxoxo
Me too, would we get 1 mark as we just divided it the wrong way round?

its right you prob should have put it as a %
Original post by kit1234
Good, thats what i wrote thank you

no worries :smile:)
Does anyone else feel as though they've started gradually changing it to the new spec already, looking at the structure of the questions in this paper and last year's which was recently unlocked? The structure of a lot of the questions seems very different to papers from eg. 2013/2014.
Original post by Dh1236
No it isn't it's slower

No it was definitely faster per second

Edit: Ignore me, I misread

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I also converted into 66% !!! Gutted. Also there was no vaccination, hormones, menstrual cycle?! It was all non-revision ?!
Original post by Dh1236
No it isn't it's slower

Are you sure?
Original post by Nik123Efimov
0.66666666667%. Or just 0.6%

I put 0.6 but I think it should be 0.67 or if rounded 0.7. Coulda kicked myself for that lol
Original post by jaydengarrett_x
Does anyone else feel as though they've started gradually changing it to the new spec already, looking at the structure of the questions in this paper and last year's which was recently unlocked? The structure of a lot of the questions seems very different to papers from eg. 2013/2014.

Plus the front is identical to the new specimen paper...
Completely agree I had like hardly any time. I had to rush the last question as I only had 5 mins left so I couldn't think anything through. So annoyed!! Was aiming for A*😡😡
Original post by Obnox
The spinal cord, the time was 1.6 milliseconds

That was the speed, not the time - a greater speed means that a greater distance was covered per millisecond.
Reply 134
What did people get for the next part in the brain and spinal cord question when it asked about the reason for different speeds?
Original post by jaydengarrett_x

Yeah it looked like the 2018 specimen paper. I got so confused!
Reply 136
Original post by Dh1236
No it isn't it's slower

No, spinal cord is faster. With reflexes coordinated by the brain, a message has to be sent to eh brain which takes longer.
I agree. Seems like they're gradually changing the style of questioning. I don't feel like our paper was anything like the past papers pre-2014

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Original post by Dh1236
No it isn't it's slower

Is there even a question to ask you which one is faster?
The question below the calculation is asking you why is the brain faster.
It is because of less synapse
Original post by lunaticash19995
Are you sure?

Yes, the mean was 1.6/s compared to 3/s for brain. Brain was quicker in absolute terms because there is a shorter distance for the impulse to travel if that's what you mean

Edit: ohhhh **** sorry I misread what you said you're right!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending