The Student Room Group

AQA iGCSE Biology Paper 1

So how'd it go for everyone? I think next time I see a snail I'll have a Vietnam flashback

Scroll to see replies

Same with the snail. I thought it was alright overall, although the cancer question stumped me (in class we have never done secondary tumours, I just put that cells from the tumour travel in the blood and create new tumours elsewhere in the body, and for the carcinogenic chemical I put mercury because mercury kills everything). I also thought it was very graph-y for a paper 1, I haven't done many past papers though so could just be lack of experience. How did yours go?
Original post by roobyruth
Same with the snail. I thought it was alright overall, although the cancer question stumped me (in class we have never done secondary tumours, I just put that cells from the tumour travel in the blood and create new tumours elsewhere in the body, and for the carcinogenic chemical I put mercury because mercury kills everything). I also thought it was very graph-y for a paper 1, I haven't done many past papers though so could just be lack of experience. How did yours go?

Yeah, I thought it was more like a Paper 2; far more application of knowledge than there has been in past papers I've done.
Yeah, the cells that are overproducing end up in the blood stream and start overproducing elsewhere. I put DDT for the chemical though it's just a guess; was gonna put asbestos :')
I did so much human biology revision and when it actually came to it, I had to make up the third function of the liver (and I'm too scared to check if it's correct or not).
The paper itself wasn't too hard, but I know half my answers are wrong.
I'm just hoping that paper 2 has a lot of human.
I checked. I was right. :u:
*Insert an exaggerated sigh of relief*
Liver I put deanimation, detoxification and iron from old red blood cells.
I put;
-produces bile
-detoxifies blood
-stores glycogen
I put:
- Detoxification
- Deamination
- Produces Bile
I put the same as notveryoriginal.(I think.... I'm terrified I put glucagon...)

I didn't have the detoxification bit and I wasn't sure if that was the kidneys or liver but then I made a wild guess with alcohol poisoning and liver failure so I put that.
Though I didn't say detoxification, I put a really long winded answer.
what you guys found that ok???
That was the hardest thing ever I couldn't understand what the question wanted from me half of the time and there was hardly any human biology. just hope grade boundaries are low and paper 2 is easier!!
Original post by notveryoriginal
So how'd it go for everyone? I think next time I see a snail I'll have a Vietnam flashback

second to last question was hard regarding comparing the snails in different environments.
which boxes did you tick in the antibiotic vs painkiller column.. i did painkillers then antibiotics then both
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I put the same as notveryoriginal.(I think.... I'm terrified I put glucagon...)

I didn't have the detoxification bit and I wasn't sure if that was the kidneys or liver but then I made a wild guess with alcohol poisoning and liver failure so I put that.
Though I didn't say detoxification, I put a really long winded answer.

what did you get for that maths question?? percentage increase in mass from 1.4-2.3
Original post by ok123456
what did you get for that maths question?? percentage increase in mass from 1.4-2.3

2.3-1.4=0.9
100\2.3= 23 over 1000
23 over 1000 X 0.9 = 39 to 2 sig figs

Which is completely wrong I now realise
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oscaroneil
second to last question was hard regarding comparing the snails in different environments.

I spent most of my time distracted by how sad someone must be to spend their time collecting and categorising snails in a hedgerow

I tried doing it notveryoriginal's way - but it didn't seem right - my method was wrong as well
I'm pretty sure the answer is 64% - but notveryoriginal's way would still have got some of the marks.
I think you had to do (2.3-1.4)/1.4*100 - if you take (2.3-1.4)/1.4, add 1 and multiply with 1.4 - you get 2.3
That didn't make sense.... but I understand it in my head... if that helps?
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I tried doing it notveryoriginal's way - but it didn't seem right - my method was wrong as well
I'm pretty sure the answer is 64% - but notveryoriginal's way would still have got some of the marks.
I think you had to do (2.3-1.4)/1.4*100 - if you take (2.3-1.4)/1.4, add 1 and multiply with 1.4 - you get 2.3
That didn't make sense.... but I understand it in my head... if that helps?

It's one of those that's ridiculously simple but you just can't wrap your head around :')
100/1.4 = about 71.5
71.5 X 2.3 = about 164
Minus the 100 and it's about 64 I think? Maybe?

It's 64% because you do 2.4/1.3 x 100 and then you get 164 so you subtract the 100% in order to get the percentage change
Reply 18
i got 64% too.....Im a bit disappointed how homestasis didn't come up! but omg ICT practical tomoz! defo screwed
What did everyone put for the 5 marker with the quadrat and tide levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending