The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History (new): Route G - Nationalism, Dictatorship and Democracy 20th Cent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Firenze26
Same, FRG is just too hard and it doesn't help that my brain doesn't retain much info about it.

Yeah, that's the one that couldn't be agreed upon, right? and was put back into the reichstag to b discussed but never came out even till the end of Weimar

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf even our teacher was like "I bet you all won't even answer a question on the FRG" and I've slyly worked out it can be possible due to the optional questions. 3 time period 4 questions - it's a new course so I hope they don't put 2 of the 4 options on FRG but even then you can skip them and hopefully your nazi/weimar knowledge will make up for it.

probably not the right way to learn an a level tho lol
Original post by j_dot
tbf even our teacher was like "I bet you all won't even answer a question on the FRG" and I've slyly worked out it can be possible due to the optional questions. 3 time period 4 questions - it's a new course so I hope they don't put 2 of the 4 options on FRG but even then you can skip them and hopefully your nazi/weimar knowledge will make up for it.

probably not the right way to learn an a level tho lol

Gosh, I wish. I just saw the new specimen paper and the part B was purely about FRG and not even the good part but the ones that are so abstract and obscure.

Tbf, that's what I do with Chem (it's not working per say but it could be worse).

Posted from TSR Mobile
for those doing Germany and Italy - which one do you feel more confident in?
Original post by greys-anatomy
for those doing Germany and Italy - which one do you feel more confident in?

Definitely Germany, I feel like Italy is a complete mystery to me at the moment!
Which do you feel more confident in?
Original post by Snowfairy007
Definitely Germany, I feel like Italy is a complete mystery to me at the moment!
Which do you feel more confident in?

With Italy - some concepts i really get whereas others i don't at all. I feel Germany is ok up until FRG and then it can *** off tbh aha.
But I'm just gonna say I'm more confident with Italy purely based on the fact that half the paper is source based :s-smilie:
With Italy - some concepts i really get whereas others i don't at all. I feel Germany is ok up until FRG and then it can *** off tbh aha.
But I'm just gonna say I'm more confident with Italy purely based on the fact that half the paper is source based :s-smilie:

See it is the source based bits I feel most nervous about in case it is something to do with a topic I can't remember! All of Italy just seems to have merged together and I start to get confused as to what happened when with it where as Germany I seem to be able to distinguish between them quite well.

A lot of people seem to be struggling with the FRG part of Germany so we will just all have to keep our fingers crossed that the questions don't relate too heavily to the FRG :smile:
See it is the source based bits I feel most nervous about in case it is something to do with a topic I can't remember! All of Italy just seems to have merged together and I start to get confused as to what happened when with it where as Germany I seem to be able to distinguish between them quite well.

A lot of people seem to be struggling with the FRG part of Germany so we will just all have to keep our fingers crossed that the questions don't relate too heavily to the FRG :smile:

I have a feeling that its gonna be a change over time question - where we're gonna have to talk about all three parts of the Germany course :frown:

How much do you usually plan to write in an essay? for the 20 markers
I have a feeling that its gonna be a change over time question - where we're gonna have to talk about all three parts of the Germany course :frown:

How much do you usually plan to write in an essay? for the 20 markers

I have the same feeling too though I'm really hoping it won't be talking about the whole time period

Depending on the question I normally aim to get about 3 different factors in including the one in the question as that seems to be a good range of points to include which normally comes to about 1.5 pages typed. It seems to work for me anyway and I've gotten A's on all of my practice essays. How much do you usually plan to write
I have the same feeling too though I'm really hoping it won't be talking about the whole time period

Depending on the question I normally aim to get about 3 different factors in including the one in the question as that seems to be a good range of points to include which normally comes to about 1.5 pages typed. It seems to work for me anyway and I've gotten A's on all of my practice essays. How much do you usually plan to write

Yeah I usually aim for 3-4 factors - In the mock i did at the end of Jan i wrote about 3 sides (in slanted handwriting if that means anything haha) and managed to get 18/20 - so i guess about that.
My Germany teacher keeps on telling us how you can get 20/20 with one side of writing but i seriously doubt he knows what he's on about haha
And then for the Italy 8 marker usually one side, and the 12 marker 1 and a half sides.
Original post by j_dot
Education being
Weimar:
govt tried to make all schools standardised (not state, church and elite) so introduced a new school, a state school with elite curriciulum, tried not to be selective.
Also had goals of a moral education, civil responsibility and vocational training. Compulsorary education until 14
HOWEVER, schools were still funded by private/church so system didn't remove selectiveness but inspections were introduced.

Nazi:
Indoctrination in education, split boys/girls. Boys do "man" stuff, PE nazi youth. Girls domestic.
Teachers league(?) made oath to Hitler.
Order castles - elite next gen leaders
Adolf Hitler schools - military leaders
Political institutions - admin leaders

FRG:
same as weimar??
Denazify education
Prevent early career choice
Free education until end of secondary skl.

idk about culture much and this is from just looking at my notes+head - wanna add to it

If this sort of questions came up about how education from 1918-1989 - would you write it like 3 paragraphs - each being on Weimar Nazi and FRG and then come to a conclusion at the end or would you link factors together and write paragraphs based on the factors? Thanks so much :smile:
Has anyone else got the revision guide? Do you think that one of the questions will be closely related to all the practice questions throughout the book because currently im just making plans ans writing them to hope that it will be fine 😊
Reply 51
If this sort of questions came up about how education from 1918-1989 - would you write it like 3 paragraphs - each being on Weimar Nazi and FRG and then come to a conclusion at the end or would you link factors together and write paragraphs based on the factors? Thanks so much :smile:

depends on the question. If it's change/continuity (how did education change from 1918-89 (unlikely btw, time period way to big)) then you describe weimar, evaluate what they did - one on change from weimar to nazi, describe and evaluate one on change from nazi to FRG, describe and evaluate. Finally you say how education stayed the same (hint: weimar and FRG are more similar, nazi is the mess)

so it'd look like
P1: intro
P2: Weimar
P3: Nazi - compare to weimar
P4: FRG - compare to nazi
P5: Continuity (weimar&FRG, plus any nazi cont you can find)
P6: conclusion

^^ just my opinion btw - I'm not a 20/20 A* student!

Change/continuity would be the only question type imo where they'd cover such a big time period. someone correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
Just finished revising the opposition section and got some lovely questions that could potentially come up.

PART A
"The biggest threat to the Nazi regime between 1933-45 was opposition from the church" - to what extent do you agree with this view?

PART B
"Opposition from the far right was been the biggest threat between 1918-89" - to what extent is this true?

the second question could not come up- the bredth is way too long
Original post by lascelles101
the second question could not come up- the bredth is way too long

You never know, this is the same exam board that gave maths students a hard time last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
You never know, this is the same exam board that gave maths students a hard time last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At AS level - we won't be given the 'to what extent' or the 'how far do you agree with' questions - only essays where we will be given a factor or 'change over time' essays
true, do u have any resources??? there is none online
Original post by lascelles101
true, do u have any resources??? there is none online

Do you mean just things that we have used for revision? If so I have a revision guide I made going over each of the topics for Germany as well as a load of essay plans for example questions if that would be any help?
Do you mean just things that we have used for revision? If so I have a revision guide I made going over each of the topics for Germany as well as a load of essay plans for example questions if that would be any help?

Could you post the essay plan?
Original post by ayeshasaleem
Could you post the essay plan?

Of course, I've attached the essay plans but just let me know if you can't access them
Of course, I've attached the essay plans but just let me know if you can't access them

Thank you so much, I've attached the following in case they help anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending