The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage calls for second referendum

Nigel Farage has called for a second referendum on our EU membership in the event of a narrow Remain win.

What do you think about this?

I see this as extremely hypocritical. UKIP and Euroskeptics had cricitised the second Lisbon Treaty referendum that Ireland had claiming, falsely, that the EU ignored the first result. Now it seems that some of them would like the same thing.

Funny how pro-democracy our pro-democracy party can be. Then again, we cannot expect much from either a man or party that cry their eyes out every time they lose.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We will worry about it after the referendum
Reply 2
Well how would you address the impartiality on behalf of the government then? Obviously you want to ignore it because you want to remain.
Understandable. If it's close then he probably feels that he can sway people his way and win another referendum.
Hope UKIP doesn't act like a sore loser similar to when the Nats lost the Scot Ref.
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics') win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.
Original post by Jebedee
Well how would you address the impartiality on behalf of the government then? Obviously you want to ignore it because you want to remain.

How would a referendum address this? Would it somehow undo the effect that, say, the Government leaflet had on voting intentions (if any)? If so, how?

If you're looking for an EU vote to be clear of impartiality, fear/scare mongering, etc, then why have democracy at all?
I was going to post this article earlier but cba with Farage.

What's the point in democracy if we just keep have referendums/votes about the same thing all the time until one person is happy???

He knows he's going to lose just like how UKIP didn't do well at General Election.

This is the same guy who said he'd quit UKIP to only join back as leader, complete hypocrite and idiot.

Why on Earth the government didn't just plaster the Remain poster with his and Boris Johnson's face idk, would have made the point clear enough.

Most "Euroskeptics" haven't ever gone beyond their own town or just don't know what planet they live on.
Original post by Kieran1996
I was going to post this article earlier but cba with Farage.

What's the point in democracy if we just keep have referendums/votes about the same thing all the time until one person is happy???

He knows he's going to lose just like how UKIP didn't do well at General Election.

This is the same guy who said he'd quit UKIP to only join back as leader, complete hypocrite and idiot.

Why on Earth the government didn't just plaster the Remain poster with his and Boris Johnson's face idk, would have made the point clear enough.

Most "Euroskeptics" haven't ever gone beyond their own town or just don't know what planet they live on.

We need to vote 'remain' because it's the best option. But also so ****ing Farage can just realise his racism and bigotry has no place in the 21st century and he can just crawl away to die.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
We need to vote 'remain' because it's the best option. But also so ****ing Farage can just realise his racism and bigotry has no place in the 21st century and he can just crawl away to die.

If he can lead a party then that shows the issues are within the UK not the EU.
If he can lead a party then that shows the issues are within the UK not the EU.

I don't know what you're trying to say...

Also I'm constantly amused by people who vote UKIP for MEPs because they think the EU has 'too much say' over UK laws. They've voted for a party who's policy is to not vote in the EU parliament. That definitely gives them LESS of a voice.
This is like the only post on tsr not about exams... :banghead:
Original post by SHallowvale
How would a referendum address this? Would it somehow undo the effect that, say, the Government leaflet had on voting intentions (if any)? If so, how?

If you're looking for an EU vote to be clear of impartiality, fear/scare mongering, etc, then why have democracy at all?

Fear mongering is fair enough but not from the government and not using our money.

Why is it the best option? Economically the EU is a sinking ship and industry in the UK has gone backwards since joining.
I think it's fine, Scotland are pushing at there independence again.

So why not?

I would honestly vote no though, All these people coming to the UK adds strain to our resources.

Also I'm constantly amused by people who vote UKIP for MEPs because they think the EU has 'too much say' over UK laws. They've voted for a party who's policy is to not vote in the EU parliament. That definitely gives them LESS of a voice.

Huh?

I'm saying if Farage can lead a party with the things he says and the way he does lead it then people should probably think about sorting out the UK before they vote UKIP and vote leave.

UK has almost no voice in the EU anyway. We would be trading the next to nothing voice in the EU and little in the UK in exchange for full voice in the UK. What really matters.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I think it's fine, Scotland are pushing at there independence again.

So why not?

I would honestly vote no though, All these people coming to the UK adds strain to our resources.

Do you even work?

It amuses me how many people on TSR say this.

In my own office and my parents half of the employees are from the EU and non-natives of the UK.

If we seriously think we will be fine without the work force we get from outside then we are stupid and the education system needs a massive re-haul (which it does - look at Sweden's')

Also how can we say this as people in 2016? We should be helping others not just rejecting refugees in countries WE have been assisting in ruining., e.g. Syria
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics':wink: win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.

How on earth is it racist to believe that we should be able to make our own laws, control our own borders etc. racist?
It is also not racist to believe we shouldn't be allowing anyone and everyone into our country. Just look at what happened in Paris - they registered an attacker as a refugee.
I don't suppose you happened to catch the BBC interview where they interviewed a young man from the Ivory Coast who was at Calais and admitted he was trying to come here for a "better" job, when he had one at home? It's estimated that up to 80% of these people are not from war torn countries.
Look it up - the EU isn't a good thing.
Do you even work?

It amuses me how many people on TSR say this.

In my own office and my parents half of the employees are from the EU and non-natives of the UK.

If we seriously think we will be fine without the work force we get from outside then we are stupid and the education system needs a massive re-haul (which it does - look at Sweden's':wink:

Also how can we say this as people in 2016? We should be helping others not just rejecting refugees in countries WE have been assisting in ruining., e.g. Syria

You do realise there is 5% unemployment, If we get these 5% who are capable of work in to work then we would have little need for more immigrants.

Also by letting the immigrants in you are generating more opportunities for more jobs to open up as there will be more strain on services BUT If we go out of the EU the country will be stable and if we need more workers we just need a system in place to only allow ones in that would suit jobs that are in high demand.
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics':wink: win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.

There is nothing racist about being skeptical of the EU.

Quick Reply