The Student Room Group

OCR Latin AS 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fablereader
Ah, I've found the utinam area of my rules, and I can understand why you would think a subjunctive. However, I do believe they were looking for an indirect statement, so that might have an impact on your score.

They probably were looking for a 'cum' clause, but so long as it is a correct translation I should think they would accept it.

For English-to-Latin last year, they still gave six marks if you had only one error, so if everything else is right the omission of 'could' still means you might get all six marks. However, I feel that 'quis' is more of an interrogative, so I'm not sure how that would be accepted. 'qui' would be much better. Plus, 'quis' is only singular, while 'qui' is both singular and plural. That might have an effect, it might not.

'hostem' should definitely be nominative, but again it is only one error. If I were an exam marker, I would give six marks for this question (but I'm not; my info relies on mark schemes and my own feelings).

so do you think i got above 20/30 for my sentences?
Also i understand about qui, but i think in this case quiz should be alright.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by james..michael
so do you think i got above 20/30 for my sentences?
Also i understand about qui, but i think in this case quiz should be alright.

I agree, quis should probably be all right.

I'm no exam marker, and I don't have all your sentences complete, but from what I've seen I would put your score higher.
I agree, quis should probably be all right.

I'm no exam marker, and I don't have all your sentences complete, but from what I've seen I would put your score higher.

I know i did quite well. I just made some errors with a couple of the verbs and a couple of the constructions. However getting the construction wrong didn't really affect anything apart from the verb. So i should be alright.
Im just one of those people that worry a lot after an exam.
Anyone know the section A translation?
I know i did quite well. I just made some errors with a couple of the verbs and a couple of the constructions. However getting the construction wrong didn't really affect anything apart from the verb. So i should be alright.
Im just one of those people that worry a lot after an exam.

I suffer from that a little bit, but not too much. My recommendation is to try to stop worrying, but if you're naturally inclined to it, put it to use and try to focus on your upcoming exams. Worry about those, and that will motivate you to study, even if it's just memorizing translations. (This is my own reasoning, it might not work but this is what I would do.)
Original post by stripedbox
Anyone know the section A translation?

i can give it a go (some of it may be a wrong translation from me). I can probably remember down to the last 4 sentences. Finishing around the place when the king left. Any chance you remember it from then on?
Have you got your attempt at the translation?? I'm curious what other people got ??
Original post by g30rgey132
Have you got your attempt at the translation?? I'm curious what other people got ??

For section A that is
i can give it a go (some of it may be a wrong translation from me). I can probably remember down to the last 4 sentences. Finishing around the place when the king left. Any chance you remember it from then on?

I actually can't remember what comes after that bit..blimey
I actually can't remember what comes after that bit..blimey

The bit where the Roman general enters the city and then he will have known that he wants Perseus as an enemy amongst the citizens or something?? I translated a future perfect and a present verb there as a past in the actual exam ugh >-<

I'm hoping I got around 65 for the first translation and 25 for the second, but you can never know really!! I feel like it could have gone a lot worse, though!
Original post by roarchika
The bit where the Roman general enters the city and then he will have known that he wants Perseus as an enemy amongst the citizens or something?? I translated a future perfect and a present verb there as a past in the actual exam ugh >-<

I'm hoping I got around 65 for the first translation and 25 for the second, but you can never know really!! I feel like it could have gone a lot worse, though!

I think I got something similar... I messed up the Cicero big time🔫.... If u miss a word out in translation you lose a mark don't you ??
I suffer from that a little bit, but not too much. My recommendation is to try to stop worrying, but if you're naturally inclined to it, put it to use and try to focus on your upcoming exams. Worry about those, and that will motivate you to study, even if it's just memorizing translations. (This is my own reasoning, it might not work but this is what I would do.)

In the sentences if you get the tense of the word wrong is that only a mark off or two marks off?

is putting a word in the accusative instead of nominative a major error?

For the cum clause where i put quando with no subjunctive instead of cum with subjunctive. But everything else was right. Do you think i will at least get 3/6 or more?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by roarchika

I put something like 'he understood that Perseus was like an enemy amongst his own citizens'
Original post by g30rgey132

In bold are the bits i don't know!
On the third day after the battle Pereus Arrived in (citybeginning with A). Having followed him the romans prepared a camp not far away.On account of so many victories they yielded many cities to the Romans (this sentence is muddled up). Theothers, metu victae (had no idea how totranslate), prepared to do the same. However the legates, having been sentby pereus to the nearest city to ask help for the battle, could not persuadethem. Therefore Pereus having calledtogether the citezens made a speech, as soon as (loqui) (another word) (Iknew loqui was to speak but I didn’t know the other word) tears disruptedhim. Therefore he asked his friend to read it for him. All the citizens,although they were also crying having caught sight of the king with tears, didnot want to listen to his friend. They shouted (a word I didn’t know) “go away, lest we also perish on account ofyou. (horum?) Anger overwhelmed thefriend. Then these are fragments of the next bitsThe king left to his ship At the same time the rest of the soldiers (some wordbeginning with d)He fled alone When the king entered A(name of city) all of the citizensmarched to him so that he would understand that pereus was now an enemy among hiscitizens (missed velut)
On the third day after the battle Pereus Arrived in (citybeginning with A). Having followed him the romans prepared a camp not far away.On account of so many victories they yielded many cities to the Romans (this sentence is muddled up). Theothers, metu victae (had no idea how totranslate), prepared to do the same. However the legates, having been sentby pereus to the nearest city to ask help for the battle, could not persuadethem. Therefore Pereus having calledtogether the citezens made a speech, as soon as (loqui) (another word) (Iknew loqui was to speak but I didn’t know the other word) tears disruptedhim. Therefore he asked his friend to read it for him. All the citizens,although they were also crying having caught sight of the king with tears, didnot want to listen to his friend. They shouted (a word I didn’t know) “go away, lest we also perish on account ofyou. (horum?) Anger overwhelmed thefriend. Then these are fragments of the next bitsThe king left to his ship At the same time the rest of the soldiers (some wordbeginning with d)He fled alone When the king entered A(name of city) all of the citizensmarched to him so that he would understand that pereus was now an enemy among hiscitizens (missed velut)

Thanks. And well done for getting that together. That's clever.
Thanks. And well done for getting that together. That's clever.

Thank you. I wish my memory had been that good when trying to remember my economics.
I think i have some of the questions right aswell if anyone needs them - a some of them are missing a word or two and it would be really helpful if anyone could fill them in.

1)When ,They left from the forum
2)So great was the cord that many citizens were wounded
3)even the strongest were asking who could now defend the city
4)They were fearing that the enemy would easily overpower the guards
5)They hoped that …. would perish

I have another question. I know a cum clause reacquires a subjunctive. If i used the word "quando" also meaning when and put the verb in the indicative would i get any marks?
(edited 7 years ago)
If I made the following mistakes how many marks would I have lost?
On the third day after the battle Pereus Arrived in (citybeginning with A). Having followed him the romans prepared a camp far away (didn't know meaning of haud). On account of so many victories They ______ many of the Roman cities. metu victae, They prepared to do the same to other cities. However the legates, having been sent by pereus to the nearest cities to ask for help against the Romans(i think this was correct translation can't remember), could not persuade them. Therefore Pereus having called together the citizens made a speech. as soon as he began speaking, They held back their tears . Therefore he asked his friend to read it for him. All the citizens,although they were also crying having caught sight of the king with tears, did not want to listen to his friend. They shouted,encouraged by anger "go away(abite),lest we also perish on account of you.The king left to his ship . As soon as the soldiers found out they were to welcome him, they departed to their homes. Abandoned by his allies,he fled alone. When the Roman general entered A(name of city) so many citizens rushed to greet him that he understood that Perseus was like an enemy among his citizens
(edited 7 years ago)
I think i have some of the questions right aswell if anyone needs them - a some of them are missing a word or two and it would be really helpful if anyone could fill them in.

1)When the consul _____,They departed from the forum

2)So great was the crowd that many citizens were wounded

3)even the strongest were asking who could now defend the city

4)They were fearing that the enemy would easily overpower the guards

5)They hoped that in a few hours the army of the enemy would perish

I have another question. I know a cum clause reacquires a subjunctive. If i used the word "quango" also meaning when and put the verb in the indicative would i get any marks?

I'm sure you would, but think they were testing understanding of cum clauses so they might award 5/6? But if it's correct they should award full marks not sure
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If I made the following mistakes how many marks would I have lost?

I think "of the romans" is a wrong translation as it was "romanis" implying that it is dative or ablative". "encouraged by fear", was this really there? i remember there being one word not two. "As soon as the soldiers found out they were to welcome him" are you sure this was correct? i don't think the sentence was that long was it??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending