The Student Room Group

17th May 2016- OCR 21st Century Science B1 B2 B3 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Usmaan345
I did not get the first page

:frown:
Someone needs to make an unofficial mark sheme for this exam I've only seen AQA and Edexcel
(edited 7 years ago)
For the B3 6 marker I talked about: New predators (likely to eat the Neanderthals) and an increase in competition etc.. I also talked about any rapid environment changes that they couldnt adapt to. I also discussed diseases and epidemics that could wipe them out. I talked about the migration of animals they eat (such as deers) so they wont have enough food to survive. I think I had a few smaller points as well to link them.. Hopefully will get a good mark. What kinda mark will that get if I linked it and used some higher vocab? (Just cba to write it all out)
Everyone's saying about the true and false a but I can't remember the statements for each.
I put:
False
False
True
False
False
Original post by olivialois
was isolation a valid answer for the last 6 maker?

I don't think so, it was about how the Neanderthals became extinct e.g new competitor
Reply 185
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who put something about separating twins for the first 6 marker. I just remembered something about the textbook about how people would find it wrong to do so, but I didn't talk about consent. :frown:
Original post by Starlight15
B1 6 marker you're supposed to talk about the environment factors (phenotype) and the ethical issues for example it's wrong to separate twins

B2 6 marker it's kind of similar to Edward Jenner's ideas, for example it contains dead weakened or very few microorganisms

B3 6 marker you can talk about the competition on food, habitats and mating and also many other things which I can't remember

For the food web you could have said about what happens if there's less deers and another animal (I can't remember what it's called)

Changed the bold for you since it was in the question

No it said PROBABILITY which means it's 0.87

For B2 6 marker, I thought the blood had memory cells which stimulate a fast response?
For b3 6 marker do you think that you need 6 points for 6 marks or explained points which could be 3/4 of them?
Original post by Callump1904
Everyone's saying about the true and false a but I can't remember the statements for each.
I put:
False
False
True
False
False

What I put is 2 Trues and 3 Falses but I Can't remember in which order
(edited 7 years ago)
On the first page, did anyone else put XY for the last question?
Original post by Starlight15
B1 6 marker you're supposed to talk about the environment factors (phenotype) and the ethical issues for example it's wrong to separate twins

B2 6 marker it's kind of similar to Edward Jenner's ideas, for example it contains dead weakened or very few microorganisms

B3 6 marker you can talk about the competition on food, habitats and mating and also many other things which I can't remember

For the food web you could have said about what happens if there's less deers and another animal (I can't remember what it's called)

Changed the bold for you since it was in the question

No it said PROBABILITY which means it's 0.87

uh-oh...for the b3 six marker i just basically wrote out natural selection ://
Reply 190
Original post by SteveDogg23

I said sex chromosomes.

No, me and my friend wrote 'gametes' because i think it said 'name' what it's called. I was going to put chromosome 23 but then i realised that was wrong

I put XX, XY and that XX = Female and XY = Male.
My friends were saying they might have been looking for the word "Sex", but we all put down the same thing.

YES!!!
It can't be gametes, they are sex cells not chromosomes.
I think I have done okay :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
For B2 6 marker, I thought the blood had memory cells which stimulate a fast response?
For b3 6 marker do you think that you need 6 points for 6 marks or explained points which could be 3/4 of them?

Yeah that's what I meant in B2 but couldn't explain it to you

Idk, what I did is that I talked about 3 points in detail since it's 6 marks
Original post by tereziscool
WHERE WAS GENETIC TESTING, WHERE WAS THE CIRCULATORY SYSTEM, WHERE WAS THE NITROGEN AND CARBON CYCLE...

sometimes i wonder why we have the learn the whole syllabus when 1/4 of it is actually in the exam...

and only ONE tick mark question with awful wording. come on OCR, I rely on tick boxes for easy marks. But I am glad everyone found it as difficult as I did. now maybe they can lower the grade boundaries.

Don't worry guys you did fine :h:

I am Seriously annoyed with OCR for the wording and the fact that more than half of the content wasn't even on the paper. Feel like I'll get about 46-48 marks. Not confident about this and biology is supposed to be my strongest topic out of the sciences :frown:😩
For B3, I messed up on part of it because I talked about human activity (deforestation/hunting) I know that's really stupid but I just didn't read the question right. Anyways, I still talked about there being a predator, disease, mutation, variation, unable to adapt, can't successfully reproduce, less food. I wrote a lot!!! So do you still think it will be ok? Will I lose marks for mentioning humans? thanku
It can't be gametes, they are sex cells not chromosomes.

Yeah, i'm quite confident with my answer of X and Y

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending