The Student Room Group

I'm really ready to die after doing this C1 2015(i need help) (not with dying)

I physically tried my hardest to not drop any marks and i dropped 5 marks pls kill me. This is the sort of stupid shnitewizel i'm talking about

https://917c8db4f385e20466384eff57d816b2bed188db.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMVhvRUNrcWJ6LXM/June%202015%20QP%20-%20C1%20Edexcel.pdf
Question 5
I said the bit below the graph i.e. the bbit which was <0 was the bit i wanted, even though my previous statement before drawing the graph was

p26p+1>0p^2 -6p +1>0
lost 2 marks there

Question 7
I said y=22xy=2^{2x}
derpy so silly i lost a mark for it

Question 9
i gave this final statement before i went wrong
112[49000]\dfrac{11}{2}[49000]
which is said is equal to 1078000 yes i multiplied by 2 then 11
who needs logic when you be retarded like me
because of that i lost 2 marks because of wrong answers

So final score is 70/75 which is pretty bad since i should be getting 100% as you can see all these are the most stupid of stupid mistakes.

I guess what i'm trying to say is can someone help me stop making retarded mistakes?(btw i didn't check over the paper since i need to do some more, obviously in the real thing i'll check everything twice)
Reply 1
Original post by thefatone

I guess what i'm trying to say is can someone help me stop making retarded mistakes?(btw i didn't check over the paper since i need to do some more, obviously in the real thing i'll check everything twice)

That answers your own question then.
Reply 2
I guess what i'm trying to say is can someone help me stop making retarded mistakes?

You answer this in literally the next sentence:

(btw i didn't check over the paper

:tongue:

I have a weird way of checking, but it works well for me. The first thing I do is to check through for about 3 minutes, just to see if I've answered the question correctly. No checking of calculations. Just look for if everything's in the right form (e.g. in terms of y in question 7), and if your answer is something sensible. It doesn't take long at all, so it's worth doing this check even in practice papers.

I then do more in-depth checks afterwards, maybe trying alternative methods lightly in pencil (and rubbing them out afterwards) to see if I get the same answer. Checking the details of your working is hard, since I often find myself thinking the same things while checking through, hence alternative methods being helpful.

It's also good to check your value back in the original question. e.g. in Q6, use a graphical calculator to see if your tangent line is actually a tangent. Or if you find a point on a curve, put it into the equation of the curve to see if it does work with the equation. I actually do this before checking my method, since if there is a problem it's clearly highlighted by something not being quite right. It identifies the questions you need to prioritise checking, which is useful if you're short of time.
Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
That answers your own question then.

-.- but i'd rather spend another hour or so doing another paper than spending about 20 mins checking through everything.....
Original post by TLDM
You answer this in literally the next sentence:

:tongue:

I have a weird way of checking, but it works well for me. The first thing I do is to check through for about 3 minutes, just to see if I've answered the question correctly. No checking of calculations. Just look for if everything's in the right form (e.g. in terms of y in question 7), and if your answer is something sensible. It doesn't take long at all, so it's worth doing this check even in practice papers.

I then do more in-depth checks afterwards, maybe trying alternative methods lightly in pencil (and rubbing them out afterwards) to see if I get the same answer. Checking the details of your working is hard, since I often find myself thinking the same things while checking through, hence alternative methods being helpful.

It's also good to check your value back in the original question. e.g. in Q6, use a graphical calculator to see if your tangent line is actually a tangent. Or if you find a point on a curve, put it into the equation of the curve to see if it does work with the equation. I actually do this before checking my method, since if there is a problem it's clearly highlighted by something not being quite right. It identifies the questions you need to prioritise checking, which is useful if you're short of time.

Part of the problem since when you get older and exposed to more ridiculous it becomes more difficult to spot wrong answer because you don't think they're wrong, obviously some will stick out like a sore thumb but then again....

i'm not sure i'm allowed one of those

i check the questions which i hesitate to answer or i take more time than usual to answer
Reply 4
---

In the exam, are we allowed to ask for additional paper, to jot down my answers and take it with me?
Reply 5
Part of the problem since when you get older and exposed to more ridiculous it becomes more difficult to spot wrong answer because you don't think they're wrong, obviously some will stick out like a sore thumb but then again....

Yeah, it can be quite hard identifying what's not correct. Usually the easiest things to spot are things like surds where there probably aren't any - I actually did this paper last year and got k=14k= \sqrt{14} for question 8. I didn't think that it would obviously be an integer or maybe a fraction, and lots a couple of marks there. It was the only thing I did wrong in the whole paper. :frown:

i'm not sure i'm allowed one of those

Oh sorry, you're right - all the modules I'm doing this year allow calculators, so I forgot C1 didn't allow them. My mistake. Perhaps an "accurate" sketch (again, lightly in pencil if you don't want the examiner seeing) would be useful for graphs.

i check the questions which i hesitate to answer or i take more time than usual to answer

Yep, I do this too if I can't find anything immediately obvious. Obviously check everything through once anyway, but if there's anything to check twice, make it those tricky ones.
Reply 6
Original post by Yunique
In the exam, are we allowed to ask for additional paper, to jot down my answers and take it with me?

I guess you could but make sure you slip it in your paper too so they see all your workings
Original post by TLDM
Yeah, it can be quite hard identifying what's not correct. Usually the easiest things to spot are things like surds where there probably aren't any - I actually did this paper last year and got k=14k= \sqrt{14} for question 8. I didn't think that it would obviously be an integer or maybe a fraction, and lots a couple of marks there. It was the only thing I did wrong in the whole paper. :frown:

Oh sorry, you're right - all the modules I'm doing this year allow calculators, so I forgot C1 didn't allow them. My mistake. Perhaps an "accurate" sketch (again, lightly in pencil if you don't want the examiner seeing) would be useful for graphs.

Yep, I do this too if I can't find anything immediately obvious. Obviously check everything through once anyway, but if there's anything to check twice, make it those tricky ones.

I have time to do that

yea i'll make sure i check those difficult ones twice...

Quick Reply

Latest