The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone remember the order of the boxes for number 1, I think I ticked the wrong one
For the percentage of people that died from malaria the correct answer was 0.667% correct to 3 SIGNIFICANT FIGURES.

3 x 10^8 people infected with malaria = 300,000,000

2 x 10^6 people died from malaria = 2,000,000

Therefore percentage of people that died was (2,000,000/300,000,000) x 100% = 0.00666666667 x 100% = 0.667% (3s.f.)

In my exam I f****** forgot to multiply the fraction by 100 to get the percentage. I didn't click the equals button ffs and thus I put 0.07%. I showed working out though so that should count for a mark.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lunaticash19995
I thought you had to times by 100

Same, so there's me writing 66.7%
Original post by guy321
For the percentage of people that died from malaria the correct answer was 0.667% correct to 3 SIGNIFICANT FIGURES.

3 x 10^8 people infected with malaria = 300,000,000

2 x 10^6 people died from malaria = 2,000,000

Therefore percentage of people that died was (2,000,000/300,000,000) x 100% = 0.00666666667 x 100% = 0.667% (3s.f.)

In my exam I f****** forgot to multiply the fraction by 100 to get the percentage. I didn't click the equals button ffs and thus I put 0.07%. I showed working out though so that should count for a mark.

I put 66% not 67
Original post by samiah12345
What do you think the grade boundaries will be i hope its like the 2014 grade boundaries

The grade boundaries will probably be lower since last year was quite high- A* was 47/60, and also loads of people found it hard. So I think about 44 or 45?
Original post by binguchoi
for the last question I put invertebrates, is that right?

I put that... and the question before as lichens... idk if that right did they hvae to be two different ones so one living and other non living
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why three significant figures?
Original post by HonourableDorito
Skin would be a better answer, but hand is probably fine.

I put any part of the limbs e.g hands or knee reflex
Original post by Annatogunx
Does anyone remember the order of the boxes on the first question, I think I ticked the wrong one

I believe the bottom/last box was the correct one (legal, recreational)
Reply 569
Wikipedia page Independent Business was vandalised.
GJ AQA
Original post by samiah12345
What do you think the grade boundaries will be i hope its like the 2014 grade boundaries

Same, the grade boundaries in 2014 weren't that bad.
Judging by unofficial mark scheme and my own knowledge, I'm looking at around 52-53/60. Any ideas what grade this would be?
Original post by binguchoi
The grade boundaries will probably be lower since last year was quite high- A* was 47/60, and also loads of people found it hard. So I think about 44 or 45?

Fingers crossed
For Question 16 the mean speed would be the results added together then divided by how many results there were wouldn't it? So, 80+50 / 2 ...?
For the 6 Mark Question I said:

Carbohydrates - Gives us energy
Fats - Provides important sugars
Vegetables and Fruits such as Oranges which gives us Vitamin C
Proteins - Used for cell growth and repair
Then I couldn't think of any others so I just put Cholesterol and in brackets I put '(good cholesterol - high density lipo protein)' - used to help to make cell membranes.

How many marks out of 6 for my answer?
Original post by lilyflowerxoxo
What did people get for the question about all boys drinking and why was the hypothesis not valid??

The hypothesis said that all boys drank alcohol but the survey was only asking 15 year old boys- that's what I said anyway :smile:
Original post by HonourableDorito
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why three significant figures?

It didnt say anything about sf so i dont think it matters
Original post by Annatogunx
Does anyone remember the order of the boxes for number 1, I think I ticked the wrong one

Think you had to tick second to last
Original post by habeeb_00
Independent company would be unaffiliated with the drug company

Legal, recreational

Boys drink more beer, lager, cider than girls, girls drink more of everything else

It's too small a sample size

Fat - store of energy and warmth
Carbs/sugars - used for energy through respiration
Proteins - growth, repair of cells, replacement of old ones
Fibre - used to aid digestion

Skin is sense organ for spinal cord

80/50 = 1.6 for neurone speed

That's jumbled up - what did ya get for the horses one

There was variation due to mutation and those had one toe? rather than more than one allowing them to run faster away from predators. They were better adapted to their environment. Hence they survived and reproduced, passing on the successful gene to offspring.
Posted from TSR Mobile

The five sense organs are:
Eyes
Ears
Nose
Tongue
Skin

Eyes, ears, nose and tongue are on your head. So the only one left would be skin - sensitive to a stimulus ( touch, pain, pressure and temp. Change in this context).

Depends how lenient the mark scheme is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending