The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography GEOG1 17th and GEOG2 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Questions:

Rivers
Describe the landforms resulting from fluvioerosion [4 marks]
Explain the formation of Waterfalls [4marks]
Explain how rejuvenation helps in the formation of river terraces [7 marks]
Discuss, using two case studies how flooding has impacted two places ofcontrasting levels of development [15 marks]

Cold Environments
Give evidence from the photo that frostshattering is a process affecting this glacier (The Rockies) [3 marks]
Explain how frost shattering is useful increating fluvio glacial landforms [4 marks]
Some BS about a drainage graph; before during and after glaciation [3 marks]
Explain the formation of meltwater channels[5 marks]
‘Antarctica is the last fragile wilderness’Discuss issues associated with it’s use [15 marks]

Population
Analyse the life expectancy data against wealth. [3 marks]
Discuss the relative usefulness of two pop indicators of development (pop density and life expectancy) [5 marks]
Examine the pop pyramid for Uganda in 2014 and if it continue to progress through the demographic transition, how will itbe affected. [7 marks]
Social Welfare Debate [15 marks]

Energy
Describe the trend of fracking distribution[3 marks]
Read Figure 11 and explain how fracking could be used to provide a reliable, clean and economic source of energy. [7marks]
Explain the environmental impacts fuelwood gathering [5 marks]
Explain how energy could be made to be supplied and consumed sustainably. [15 marks]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 461
Original post by IKEAPanda37
The exam went badly :frown:

River rejuvenation just had to come up, pretty sure we haven't covered the population 15 marker and I think I completely misunderstood the energy one....

Was it waterfalls and potholes in the first question for rivers?

Yeah, I wrote about waterfalls and potholes too, I mentioned Rapids as there was a lot of white water showing turbulence:smile:
yeah i did waterfalls, potholes and rapids
Original post by fairlyemily
I reckon that it'll be about 75/120 for an A as that's the highest it's been for the past 5 years and the paper wasnt too difficult (i found it quite hard :/)

I really don't think it'll be that high..... I know a lot of people I've spoken too thought it was quite difficult .... So if everyone's done pretty naff they'll lower the boundaries....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubblebex1
Don't worry I thought I had done really well and then came out of the exam and realised that for the coasts section I wrote about river management for 15 marks not coasts so im really upset.

Haha I did exactly the opposite writing about the Japan tsunami in the river 15 marker, ah well
How is a meltwater channel formed lol
Original post by BonnieLeigh
omg lol i drew the cave, arch, stack stump in the box! :s-smilie: silly me. also what did people write about the river terraces and rejuvenation. and the food supply 15 marker

For food supply I wrote about arable, pastoral and mixed farming- saying that agricultural production systems can be classified depending on what is being grown. Then that this can happen in diff ways i.e intensive and extensive. Then I mentioned that they can be classified on the purpose of the agricultural production for example: commercial farming for TNCs, subsistence farming etc... And gave examples of each type. Idk if this is what the question was asking for or not but yh :confused:
Original post by algerianmami
For food supply I wrote about arable, pastoral and mixed farming- saying that agricultural production systems can be classified depending on what is being grown. Then that this can happen in diff ways i.e intensive and extensive. Then I mentioned that they can be classified on the purpose of the agricultural production for example: commercial farming for TNCs, subsistence farming etc... And gave examples of each type. Idk if this is what the question was asking for or not but yh :confused:

ah that sounds good, i did extensive and intensive and did a detailed example for both, :biggrin:
Yeah I'm just guessing tbh, all we can do is wait for results day now!🎉🎉🎉
I thought it was actually pretty good - everything I'd revised. Except energy issues and a little bit of cold climates - but population and rivers was exactly as predicted and couldn't have gone much better.
Original post by jack_wild7
Can Someone produce a Unofficial mark scheme???

What did people put for the question about frost shattering and meltwater channels?

What did people put for the question about malnutrition?

What did people put for the question about the global concern about ebola??

overall thought it was a good paper, i just had to rush the last 7 and 15 marker....

I messed up frost shattering :'( I wrote about plucking,
Meltwater channels was the formation - water flows out of glacier and gets stopped by blockage so it carves out gorge and flows through adjacent valley
Malnutrition - I wrote about Ethiopia famine?
Ebola - global concern because it went outside national boundaries, was fatal, affected Africa, Europe and USA and declared as epidemic by WHO
Original post by Emmalou193
I really don't think it'll be that high..... I know a lot of people I've spoken too thought it was quite difficult .... So if everyone's done pretty naff they'll lower the boundaries....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, my geography teacher was saying that they may raise them to show that we didn't do well so that when they move to the new specification and have low grade boundaries, it will look like they made the right decision because the results will look better

Might be wrong though
i wrote about rapids and potholes, i think you you can write 2 and still get 4 marks as usualky its 2x2.
Original post by Laaz123
i wrote about rapids and potholes, i think you you can write 2 and still get 4 marks as usualky its 2x2.

You didn't have to write about 4, I wrote the same as you
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I hope so, my geography teacher was saying that they may raise them to show that we didn't do well so that when they move to the new specification and have low grade boundaries, it will look like they made the right decision because the results will look better

Might be wrong though

They usually raise the grade boundaries is the whole cohort did really well reflecting the easy paper in higher gbs.
The malnutrition one was similar to famine because you could say things like over cultivation leads to desertification and therefore less nutritious food and causing malnutrition. Also you could talk about because a lot of areas in Kenya grow cash crops instead of food for the malnourished. I think it was quite an open question there's loads you could say so don't worry.

Original post by melinalouise
I thought that the 15 markers were the best questions, but that 7 marker just on river terraces was challenging, and the malnutrition and the mass movement questions:frown: fingers crossed i've not failed
Original post by Laaz123

I agree. I said that the potholes are evident which are white and have vegetation growing on it. Waterfalls are also evident which are small and reflect the more and less resistant rock geology.
Original post by Laaz123

i said potholes, small waterfalls, rapids and gorge
In the rivers 15 marker on impacts of flooding in 2 contrasting areas, I did a rivers one in a developed country, then by mistake compared that to coastal floods in Southern Asia (developing). I know the topic was rivers, but seeing as the question didn't specify it had to be rivers, and it didn't ask to describe, and I followed the right structure in every other way, will I get heavily marked down for that?
I think the command word was 'Describe' for question 1 ao therefore a valid description of the landforms is needed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending