The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redcoats
To get full marks you need to mention:

Variation [1]

Ground became harder so horses with fewer toes and longer legs could run faster from predators, while horses with more toes could not run away as fast (having more toes was a vestigial feature) [1]

Survival of the fittest transpired [1]

Live up to breeding age and gene/allele passed onto offspring. This occurred repeatedly until Equus evolved. [1]

This is going by previous mark schemes for questions of the exact same type

For 1 mark you can also say mutation :smile:
Original post by monzy24566
0.67% - malaria
Scatter graph q- two variables/compare dsitribution
Speed- 1.6
Why was the mosquito in the wrong place- plants get energy from the sun, primary consumer for every food chain
GM in mosquito- Cut gene using enzymes and splice into chromosome of mosquito at early stage of development
Organ- skin
Indicator- Mayfly larvae
Other indicators- Dissolved oxygen meters/co2 sensors
Snails- Camouflage

So do you reckon we can get the mark for writing about distribution for scatter graph?
That was the hardest exam ever..... i hated it! no chance of getting an a* then
ugggggghhhh
i hope the grade boundaries are low!
What were the last two questions on question 7? Please reply! Thanks in advance.
Original post by FaithKG
I put that... and the question before as lichens... idk if that right did they hvae to be two different ones so one living and other non living

It is invertebrates because the questions was asking for ANIMALS not plants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by habeeb_00
Really? Isn't that an organ on the head so it's controlled by the brain??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote eyes for that question, I don't think I read it properly now and I'm annoyed at myself because I did think about putting skin
Original post by HonourableDorito
One of the marks will be enzymes (used to cut out the gene from the bacteria and insert into mosquito)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep :smile:
Original post by TurquoiseSkai
Yeah, but mind you it was only 29 last year for a B!
I'm hoping it's similar this year with the top two grades slightly lowered. It was a f*****g hard exam!

The exam was ridiculously difficult! AQA should be more lenient and lower the grade boundaries, it makes more sense.
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty damn sure thats right....

that's just me sounding modest, its definitely right (unless you needed to round to 0.7)
Original post by Annatogunx
Does anyone remember the order of the boxes for number 1, I think I ticked the wrong one

The correct answer was the bottom one- legal and recreational
Original post by InneRs
Same. I'm reassured.

Same, so did other people I know as I worked out the people that didn't die and then did 100- that which = 0.66 %
Heres hoping the grade boundaries are as low as they've ever been (44/60 A* FTW!)
Original post by InneRs
Are you sure you put braket?
How did I get 0.6%?

I put 0.6!
couldn't you say snails loose less energy via movement, so more is passed on to Thrushes?
Do you think for the snail one saying that 'snails use less energy when they respire to release energy for movement because they don't move far or quickly' would get a mark?
Check my big post on pg 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

if i just put 0.6 and forgot the recurring point on top of the 6 would i still get 2 marks
Original post by Kara_h
I thought it was quite easy but I definitely wasn't expecting it at all!
The points I made were:
- Protein - Cell growth and repair
- Carbs - long lasting energy
- Fats - energy and also insulation
- Fibre - Aids digestive system
- Water - Hydrates cells
- Vitamins - general health, good for blood and bone

I'm hoping that's alright but I'm not 100% sure

I put
- Carbohydrates release energy
- Protein make new cells and repair cells
- Fibre helps digestion
- Fats for warmth and release energy
- Water to stop dehydration and maintain fluid levels
- Vitamins and minerals - to make sure everything runs 'smoothly' in the body (I remembered the last one from the CGP revision guide lol )
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

That's what I got!
For the snail and thrush question I put that the food chain may have been incomplete? (ie the thrush is likely to have predators) Is this incorrect then?

Also, anyone have any idea what the A* mark will be? Do you think it will be higher or lower than last year?
Original post by jadeee18x
Was the name a sense organ question any sense organ?

Most are saying it was skin. For some stupid reason I put eyes :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending