The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by habeeb_00
Was it? I wrote mayfly larvae so I'm covered but didn't it just say organism

Posted from TSR Mobile

but isnt that an insect and not an animal? thats why i put lichens eventhough they are not animals.. im so confused there are no animal indicators.. just things like lichens and tubifex worms
The alcohol graph question, was is asking about the difference between boy and girls or the different types of alcohol? I was so confused
Original post by bencarver1999
For the question about the temperature sensor compared to the thermometer i said that the temperature sensor automatically recorded temperatures at specific/certain times, would i get the marks??

Idk I said that it'll give more precise readings
Sugar, i thought the dark snails had stripes....
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

samee
Original post by badwithnames
Can you say no correlation between axes for the scatter graph question?

Yea,that's what I put and wondering the same
Original post by asc.asc
Is the one where it asks you about why a scatter graph was chosen is because it's appropriate to show relationship between two sets of continuous data?

samee but the data wasn't continuous though....?
I'm pretty sure that it is in fact 0.66 blah blah for the percentage, but obviously if the working out is along the right lines you will get marks regardless... Also, the question about a sense organ that is controlled by the spinal cord is the skin/hands/arm etc, because they mentioned that all things on the head are controlled by the brain, indicating that you should mention something different than organs on the head.
Reply 788
1. Alcohol legal, recreation (1)2. Changes chemical reactions, causes withdrawal symptoms (1)3. Independent company - not associated with the drug company (1)4. Unbiased (1)5. Effects nicotine, which is the same area as alcohol in the brain. Reduces pleasure, more likely to drink less (2)6. Boys drink beer, cider but the girls drank more wine, alcopop and spirits. (2)7. Not all boys drink because.(2)8. Carbohydrates --> Energy, Protein --> Growth + repair, Fat --> Warmth + energy, Fibre --> helps digestive system, Calcium --> strong bones and teeth, Water --> hydrated the body (6)9. Temperature sensor - more accurate/easier to read because digital (1)10. It increased because microorganisms break down grass, respire and release CO2 This is trapped because of cotton wool so it accumulates and increases (2)11. It levels off at 20% because either not oxygen left for microorganisms to respire or all of the grass has been decomposed so the microorganisms have nothing left to feed on to respire (not sure) (1)12. Receptor (e.g eyes/tongue/nose/skin/ears) detect stimuli and pass on an impulse. Effectors (e.g muscles/glands) receive an impulse and respond by contracting/releasing hormones (4)13. Synapse - junction/small gap between two nerve endings/neurone (2)14. Neurotransmitters diffuse through the synapse, attach onto nerve ending and continues pulse (2)15. Sense organ using spinal chord - skin (1)16. Mean speed = 80/50 = 1.6 (2)17. Why is brain (without relay neurones) faster than spine? Less time wasted for impulses to be passed through the relay so it travels faster than the spine because of a shorter distance (2)18. Biomass is lost through waste/energy/heat/respiration/movement (2)19. There is a large amount of snails (200) as opposed to thrush (2) meaning they have less competition and ate more snails this more biomass (2)20. It is a scatter graph because it is comparing two sets of data (1)21. Higher percentage of no striped snails in woodlands but low percentage in grassland. Whereas with the light coloured snails, there's a higher percentage in grassland and low percentage in woodlands. (2)22. Woodland snails are better adapted because they are camouflaged (1)23. Horses foot size increased, amount of foot touching the floor decreased (2)24. Foot has a larger surface area so less pressure on soft mud so they don't sink into the ground (2)25. Variation in genes/mutations, better characteristics allow it to survive better and breed so their genetic material are passed onto the next generations. (4)26. Advantages 1. Males are released, they don't feed of blood so they don't cause malaria. 2. They reproduce so the children die before they become female adults and reduce malaria outbreak27. Disadvantages 1. Millions are released which could disrupt food chain, may even reduce biodiversity. 2. There could be long term side effects28. Overall they should/shouldn't release the mosquitos because... (4)29. Cut the gene using an enzyme from the DNA of the bacteria. Cut the DNA, using an enzyme, of the mosquito and insert the gene into it. Put the cell back into... (3)30. First part of the food chain are producers i.e plants (2)31. Mayfly larvae (animal) - water pollution (1)32. Oxygen meter/rat tailed maggots/sludge worms for water pollution (1)
Dreading B2 and B3 considering B1 is supposed to be the easiest one...
Anyone get 60%
For the question on GM mosquitos, I put something along the lines of this: I wouldn't use GM mosquitos as they could harm the other mosquitos, the plants they reproduce from and reduce biodiversity. Also, in the future there might be no more non-GM mosquitos. Does this answer seem correct?
Was this GCSE? If not I've missed my AS resit...
Reply 793
What was the point for the mosquito diagram?:angry:
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's correct! 1.6 was for the neurone speed in which the brain passage was faster
I said the amount of joints in the horses feet decreased??...
Original post by Yunus.
What was the point for the mosquito diagram?:angry:

Good point. It wasn't used in any of the questions. Maybe jut to mislead us on the food chain question?...
Original post by Haashym
15%

0.67%
from the past papers i did i was like ive got this! now not soo muuch...
Original post by lilyflowerxoxo
What did people get for the question about all boys drinking and why was the hypothesis not valid??

nah its always 1 decimal place for percentages so 0.7%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending