The Student Room Group

OCR AS LAW - English Legal System

What's everyone guessing will come up on the English Legal System exam for OCR on the 17th May?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AdamCooper98
What's everyone guessing will come up on the English Legal System exam for OCR on the 17th May?

Sentencing
ADR
Magistrates
Solicitors/Barristers
Judges
Stop and Search ( Bail, Mode of trial, powers to search, arrest )
I got told judges will not come up. But lets be fair sentencing one of the bigger topics didn't come up last year so who knows what they could get rid of! I hope for Legal personal, magistrates, judges and police powers
Reply 3
Original post by jamesharrison654
I got told judges will not come up. But lets be fair sentencing one of the bigger topics didn't come up last year so who knows what they could get rid of! I hope for Legal personal, magistrates, judges and police powers

tbh i don't want judges to come up, I am re-siting and i had to teach re teach myself everything.
Judges came up last year but my teacher reckons its coming up again

the Civil Court Structure is due to come up (Woolf reforms)

i'm praying for Sentencing,Magistrates, Mode of trial and Powers to stop and search ( i'd cry if they came up )
Reply 4
I have revised sentencing, police powers, magistrates, ADR, legal profession, pre-trial and a little of judiciary! I'm really worried that the questions I haven't done will come up (juries, criminal appeals, civil cases, bail etc) but I guess we'll find out tomorrow 😂 Good luck everyone!!
I was told by my teacher that these topics come up (usually) every year: legal profession, lay people, judges, police powers and sentencing.
She also said that it is likely that ADR, bail and criminal courts will come up, as they're due and are rotated round. Hope that helps!
Bail was on last year, so unlikely to come up again the year after :smile:
My teacher said that it'll probably be a pretty easy paper this year because apparently last year's one was a bloodbath, so he's saying it'll be ADR, stop and search, barristers, sentencing, law reform the judiciary and civil courts
Original post by sconesaresuper
My teacher said that it'll probably be a pretty easy paper this year because apparently last year's one was a bloodbath, so he's saying it'll be ADR, stop and search, barristers, sentencing, law reform the judiciary and civil courts

If that was right I would be so happy.
We've been told ADR, sentencing, stop and search, powers of arrest, magistrates, barristers, civil appeals, judicial diversity...
Well then guys it was horrible nothing I wanted came up :angry::frown:
Anyone else think that paper was awful?
That paper was really nice - I think I may have muddled up S24 powers of arrest and the civil use of juries but beyond that it was great. The sentencing question and Q7 scenario was really nice. The Q2 High Court question needed a good knowledge of civil appeals. Bail was nice part a but a nastier part b and unexpected.
Original post by RebeccaHollins
Anyone else think that paper was awful?

I'll be lucky if I got a C, and I was aiming for an A :frown:
Original post by Atomix330
That paper was really nice - I think I may have muddled up S24 powers of arrest and the civil use of juries but beyond that it was great. The sentencing question and Q7 scenario was really nice. The Q2 High Court question needed a good knowledge of civil appeals. Bail was nice part a but a nastier part b and unexpected.

Why did u use arrest for Ngl I hated the paper I like police powers and setencing was average and so was the juries but the Q2 was horrific
Original post by jamesharrison654
Why did u use arrest for Ngl I hated the paper I like police powers and setencing was average and so was the juries but the Q2 was horrific

PACE - S24, S26, S46
Magistrates' Court Act - S1
S117 PACE - reasonable force.
S24(5) - necessity test.
Terrorism Act 2000 - S41

Cases: Richardon. Taylor.

Could have had more on: caution, must be aware they are being arrested and why they are being arrested.
there wasn't a question on arrest was there? it was detention
Original post by RebeccaHollins
there wasn't a question on arrest was there? it was detention

Yeh it was a detention and samples question
Paper was okay ig. I ended up doing juries, sentencing, civil courts and police powers
Original post by mehraz124
Paper was okay ig. I ended up doing juries, sentencing, civil courts and police powers

Hey thats what i did aswell i think they were good can i ask for section b what did u talk about ?? (if u remember)

Quick Reply

Latest